The best beer in thailand?

lumar

So what happended to Carlsberg in Thailand? I remember being in Bangkok last year, asking for one and being told they didn't sell it anymore. Never did find out the reason though.

I was asked recently to find this out too...any ideas?

I personally drink Chang on ice, never seem to have a headache but can be very woozy come morning.

But when the money is low 45B for a large Chang cannot be beaten
where do you buy your Chang? my local store sells it 3 bottles for 100 baht as a special or 33 baht a bottle normal price (go figure :o )

There are a few street vendors on Rambuttri behind the temple at the end of Khoa San Rd, you can sit down drink cheap beer and watch the world go by, they'll even give you your Nam Kang for free. It's the first place I head for after travelling into Bkk. Beer first, accomodation second :-)

B

arh your not drinking it at home then!!!

makes all the difference.

Carlsberg was promoted through Chang breweries. Carlsberg thought they were getting a rough deal with the advertising. So they pulled the plug on selling it in Thailand.

That would account for all the fuzzy Carlsberg adverts on the hoardings then when watching the Football on Thai TV

<font color='#000000'>Beeing a beer lover, I must say that Beer Chang is defintively the best beer in the Kingdom. Strong, dirt cheap and tasty!

What's your opinion?</font>

Agree - Beer Chang is the best. Beer Singha has a very sweet taste in comparison, due to that formaldehyde or perhaps glycol? However, girlfriend won't let me drink Chang. Let's just say it isn't a "performance enhancing drug". Forced to drink Heinekein when in her company.

It depends on what your doing in LOS. Most of my regular customers (ex-pats) drink Chang,Leo or Archa. People on holiday from other parts of the Far East seem to go for Tiger. Australians on vacation go for the V.B.Over the Xmas and New Year period where there were loads of tourists from Europe,Singha outsold everything,with Heineken a close second. The new beers,Blue Ice & Red Horse from San Miguel were good sellers when they first appeared. Strongbow always goes steady. Guinness & Tetleys are both slow off the mark (too expensive).Budweiser has it's customers too.I did do Holsten Pils for a while and that went better than all the other Euro beers and English Real Ales I brought in.

By the way Amarit beer was available in UK under the name of Bangkok Beer.

I personally drink Chang on ice, never seem to have a headache but can be very woozy come morning.

I can lose my Canadian citizenship for putting ice in my beer. :D

Of the local stuff I like Chang nice and (refrigerated) cold. The wholesaler around the corner on Chotana rd gives them to me for 23B for a 640ml. Here in Victoria I pay the equivlant of 130B for the same.

Last time I came back I brought my boss a bottle of Mekong and it didn't go over too well. I don't believe the part about going blind but needless to say after 3/4 of the bottle he was in pretty bad shape. :o

Next time he just wants a t-shirt.....

cv

So what happended to Carlsberg in Thailand? I remember being in Bangkok last year, asking for one and being told they didn't sell it anymore. Never did find out the reason though.

I read in the Post that Chang renaged on nearly all of the deals it had with Carlsberg, so Carlsberg said "5crew you!" and pulled out completely.

With regard to Thai beer, hmmm, its all bloody awful, but I'll put up with Heineken if there's no Guinness, Kilkenny or Speckled Hen available.

Paulaner is pretty good too, though obviously not Thai, as is VB (but that makes me a wee bit aggressive, so I don't drink it now).

The San Miguel company are going to start brewing here soon as well, but I think they're going to produce the export stuff, rather than the excellent domestic brew - shame.

Edited by Marmite the Dog

The San Miguel company are going to start brewing here soon as well, but I think they're going to produce the export stuff, rather than the excellent domestic brew - shame.

San Mig are producing Blue Ice here in Thailand... not a bad drop, albeit a bit sweet for my taste. :D

Beer Chang has my vote. :o

San Mig are producing Blue Ice here in Thailand... not a bad drop, albeit a bit sweet for my taste. :D

Beer Chang has my vote. :o

Uhgg :D I bought a can of that Blue Ice from caurefour for a test. Absolutly yuk! Tastes really watery, and just well, yukky!

I think Thai's like it as it tastes watery and they like to add ice to their beers, but me, I have to have it with no additives! :D

The owner ( who's name is easily forgotten) of Chang did indeed have the full franchising rights to Carlsberg throughout Thailand. It's lack of market share was diliberate by being withheld by the above so as not impede on Changs market. Yep I know what you will all say so did carlsberg hierachy " what, but Cbg is a premium beer while chang is for cheap charlies who wouldn't recognize a decent beer if was smashed over their heads" ( not my words dont flay me). At the end of 2002 Chang's Franchise licence ran out and Carlsberg executives removed it from the Thai market to completely dissipate Chang's hold over the brand. There were other issues like where's all the f...king marketing money gone we sent over?????? TIT.

However for those who miss the Calsberg brand fear not soon it will experience a re-emergence under the management and distribution of another well known premium beer already mentioned in this thread. It will have a new botle and label but will still be distinctively Carlsberg. The best beer in Thailand, welcome back.

Teach

Teach..

However for those who miss the Calsberg brand fear not soon it will experience a re-emergence under the management and distribution of another well known premium beer already mentioned in this thread. It will have a new botle and label but will still be distinctively Carlsberg. The best beer in Thailand, welcome back.

Three cheers for that. Any idea of what the new name is goingto be?

Teach..

The name will remain as will the taste, just the style of presentation will change from diliberately looking like Hieni to a self supporting independent label. Far more marketing budget will be thrown at it and watch this space it will very quickly make up for lost time.

Lovely story

Teach..

It's gotta be San Miguel na?

I was on the wagon when I decided to move here a few years ago.

A fiery plate of gaeng keow wan gai put an end to that foolishness,

& a bottle of Chang was produced.

Back in the day it was my beer of choice, but ...

This tasted like someone brewed a beer and then poured more grain alcohol on top -

Too harsh.

So a Bia Singha was brought in from the bullpen.

Mellower, but alas it was -

Too sweet.

Ok, how about a Kloster?

Good balance, and it put out the fire without overpowering the curry.

Just right.

It's no Beer Lao, but you can't have everything.

(Oh yeah, why can't we have Beer Lao anyway?)

Anyway -

Heineken will do in a pinch, and is much more widely distributed than Kloster, so I mostly end up drinking that.

Glad to hear Carlsberg is returning.

Though Marmite's right, domestic recipe San Miguel would lay them all to waste.

Got to be Beer Chang. Cheap and 6% abv, although I think I preferred it when it was 5%. Still, more of a session beer than Singha and goes v.well with Thai nosh. Chang is now starting to be found in the UK, Hoo Heng chinese supermarket in Brimsdown, Enfield N.London now stocks it. Rather more expensive over here, however.

Can't say I subscribe to mekong - drank 1/2 bottle in c.1 hr when I first came to Bangkok - had one mother of a hangover the next day.

Best juice for rapid inebriation must be the cloudy thai rice wine - one bottle of that and a couple of beers and you're wasted. It's rated @3% abv - but my wife's uncle says they are lying, no-one would buy it otherwise.

Must say - have always been v.happy with the general quality of beer produced in Thailand - puts many other countries to shame (eg USA for example - Miller Lite 'The Champagne of Beers', and Bud 'The King of Beers' - all rank).

Happy boozing. :o:D