Goodview Or Riverside?

spiceman

It's apples and oranges really. I would say that the food is better at Riverside and perhaps the atmosphere is better at Good View? I used to like Riverside when it was on the river and sometimes there was a good band, but then it moved across the street. The food at Good View is not bad but don't bother with the Japanese menu there.

I only made a reservation at Riverside once and when we got there there were plenty of tables. But its always a good idea...

I like the riverside better for both food & music.

I usually have dinner at the riverside 2 across the street branch :) out back by the waterfall.

Then go across the street & catch the great music later at their original spot riverside 1

The food at the goodview is just ok IMHO & the music when I was there was not too good.

You dont need to book a table but can. They take resv till 8pm only & hold table for 15minutes.

No reservations on festival days.

Edited by flying

I usually have dinner at the riverside 2 across the street branch :) out back by the waterfall.

Then go across the street & catch the great music later at their original spot riverside 1

The food at the goodview is just ok IMHO & the music when I was there was not too good.

You dont need to book a table but can. They take resv till 8pm only & hold table for 15minutes.

I appreciate that the question was "which one is best"

I find them both very ordinary and have had very average experiences in terms of food and service at both of them :D

I appreciate that the question was "which one is best"

I find them both very ordinary and have had very average experiences in terms of food and service at both of them :D

Both can get very busy and full of tourists. Food at both is ok, but nothing that special.

I have listened to 1 or 2 good bands play at Riverside, and I think the atmosphere there is much the better. Last time I ate at Good View the (awful) band was so loud it ruined the evening.

Rgds

Edited by piercefilmlid

Riverside was the best pub in Chiang Mai for years (I celebrated my 15th, 16th, 18th, 19th, 21st and 24th birthdays there - as far as I remember)...it is still iconic(ish) but hasn't evolved with the times. I also think that I am too old to squish in with the young crowd when it gets heaving. GoodView is also iconic and the large hall-like setting may not be for everyone, but it always has a great happy vibe, and is very active with concerts and stuff. As someone said, apples and oranges...why not do both?