Considering Options For 1-year Extension Of Non-o Based On Marriage To Thai Citizen

Key dates:

November 28, 2008: obtained 1-year multi non-O visa in USA (based on marriage to Thai citizen)

August 3, 2009: most recent arrival to Thailand

September 24: transferred 400K THB to my Thai bank account

November 1: current permission to stay ends

November 6-9: have scheduled trip out of Thailand, not visa-run-related (to the Philippines, where reports indicate that the Thai embassy isn't friendly to visa runners, also, I won't have time there to apply for a new non-O)

November 27: 1-year multi-entry non-O expires

I'm trying to determine the most practical and also most favorable (in the eyes of Thai immigration) actions and timing to extend my visa.

My understanding is that I have the following 3 options, but I've never applied for an extension before, so I'm not sure of a few things (including such matters as whether it takes 1 day or 2 weeks or "other" to get the extension). Any practical advice on the following options or response to the questions is appreciated.

Option 1:

Apply for 1-year extension to Non-O before November 1 (and also for a multi-re-entry permit).

Caveat: would need to use income instead of money in the bank to qualify, since the money won't have been in my Thai bank account 2 months until November 24. This requires a loose interpretation of income, in that my annual income this year (and next) would qualify me, but I have no monthly income. I contract, hourly, and I'm off contract at present, but worked enough this year to qualify if I divide my annual income by 12, and also have work lined up for next year.

My understanding is that the process to show income just involves me signing something at the US embassy -- is that correct?

If I choose this option and apply this week, would I have my passport returned by November 5ish?

Option 2:

Visa run before November 1, re-enter on my multi-non-O, leave again Nov 6-9 for my scheduled trip, then apply for 1-year extension on November 24, before my non-O expires, but after money has been in my Thai bank account 2 full months.

Will I be able to re-enter on my 1-year multi-non-O on November 6, with only 2 weeks remaining before it expires?

Will applying for an extension on Nov 24, only 3 days before the visa expires, cause any issues?

Option 3:

Do nothing before leaving Thailand Nov 6-9 for my scheduled trip, pay the overstay fine for 6 days when I leave on November 6. Apply for 1-year extension on November 24.

Will the overstay cause an issue when I return and apply for the 1-year extension?

Option 4: does anybody see a better option?

Thanks in advance.

You have the option of extending your stay for a further 60 days on the basis of "visiting Thai wife." This will then allow your 400k baht to have been in the bank for over the minimum period required by immigration. Then you can extend for a full year before those 60 days are up after Nov 24th (the date your money has been in the bank for the required period)

The 60 day rule is a one time only deal though. It's not something you can do every year when it comes to extending your stay.

I would do a border run any time before 1st November. Can go now if you want.

Do your trip on 6th November and return on the 9th.

You can if you wish do another border run before 27th November and get another 90 days.

As said you also have the option of a 60 days extension to visit your Wife.

Or you can apply for the 12 month extension based on Marriage when your money has been in the bank for 60 days.

Forget the overstay option. Never a good idea.

When you apply you will be given a 30 day under consideration stamp. You go back in 30 days and get your extension.

EDIT.

If you get a 60 day extension from Immigration just before 1st November you will need a re entry permit for your trip.

Extension 1,900 Baht. Re Entry Permit 1,000 Baht.

What ever suits you.

I would do the 60 day extension, obtain re-entry permit, return from trip using re-entry permit and then do the extension of stay during the last 30 days. You money will have been in account for two months then so just need passbook/bank letter and the normal wife/paperwork. They do not keep your passport but you will have to return after 30 days to get final stamp (and it could take longer in a few cases).

Simplest and most reliable is to go to US Embassy in BKK, fill out the form they have there re monthly income, sign and get notarized (US$30 fee). Do not have to show them any documentation, embassy is just notarizing your statement. Entire process takes about 1/2 hour and you are out. Make appointment at embassy using the online system (google US embassy Bangkok and look for it). Arrive at the consulate door more or less at specified time, make sure you go to US citizen side, fill in the form, hand in at counter, go around to the right to special cashier (not to the long lines at the Thai cashier). Pay the $30 or TH baht, take to the counter right next to it, wait a few minutes for them to stamp the letter. And that's all. Immigration gents will still want to see you bankbook in addition to the income letter but no need for bank letter.

He has doubt's about his income and ability to support statement and has money in account so there is no reason to use income (which he might be asked to support) and extra trip/expense. A letter from bank costs, at most, 200 baht.

I have not been asked for any bank account information when using Embassy letter of income so not all ask for that.

Also he would still be under the 30 day consideration when making his trip to Philippines.

He can get a re-entry permit for the period while under consideration.

The 60 days visit Thai wife extension is issued on the spot - no under consideration period, this only applies for a one year extension.

For the OP I would suggest either the 60 days extension or a border run before 01.11.09 to make full use of his visa.

opalhort

In other words. Lie under oath. :)

I haven't seen the form, so I'm not sure whether I'd be lying or if I'd be comfortable swearing to it @the US Embassy.

I've been contracting 12 years and never had a year where I earned less than 12*40000K baht, and already have contracts lined up for next year, so I feel that I certainly meet the spirit of their requirement.

I'm just not sure I meet the literal conditions on the form -- I haven't had a monthly salary since 1997. And at the moment, I'm off contract, earning nothing.

Is the form available online? Or is it picked up only at the US Embassy (if so, I live ~15 minute walk from it, so it's not a problem to go by)? Or does Thai immigration provide the form?

If the form is flexible, it sounds like the best option is to use my income to extend my stay, before November 1.

If not, then it sounds like I should either:

1. Make a quick border run before November 1, and then extend my stay in November, or

2. Use the 60-day extension (for 1 week, basically...).

Grr... I wish the tournament I'm going to in Manila was just 1 weekend sooner!

It sounds like the consensus here is that if I enter Thailand on November 9 with a Non-O expiring November 27, I can still enter on that non-O and then extend it while I'm here, correct?

Next question -- my wife and I were married in the USA. Browsing the forum, it sounds like we should have registered our marriage here (oops...). That's now on the "to do" list too, but do I need to do that before I can get the 60-day extension?

Do I have the summary of that procedure correct: bring copy of marriage certificate to US Embassy, have it certified, then have it translated, take that to Thai Foreign Ministry, then take their paperwork to the local Amphur to register the marriage...?

Thanks again.

Not sure you have to have the marriage certificate "certified" at the US embassy but a "certified" translation is definitely required. I'll be watching "more in-the-know" people replying about this. I might be going this route myself in the future.

Good luck and hope things get sorted out!

Martian

Found this browsing TV forum which may help you …

http://chiangmai.usconsulate.gov/root/pdfs...t-of-income.pdf

If you enter the country on 9th November you will get new 90 day permission to stay, and during the last 30 days you should apply for your extension of stay based on marriage.

For 60 day extension of stay you will need to take with you to immigration the wife, marriage certificate (immigration accepts English documents), wife's ID card, tabbien bahn (house book), completed application form TM7, copies of passport pages and TM6 card + recent passport photo. Some offices are also asking for photos of you and wife around the house and map to house. Fee 1900 baht. Apply for your extension of stay based on marriage during the last 30 days of your permission to stay.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm7.doc

Separately, to record your marriage, you will need to get your marriage certificate translated into Thai (local government offices do not accept documents in foreign languages) and verified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Then go to the amphur, do the registration and obtain copy of register (Kor Sor 2). Some immigration offices are now asking to see this document for extension of stay based on marriage applications.

Edited by thaiphoon