Asean Chaos

tjthai

Just got the usual 'white knuckle ride' minivan back from Bangkok to Hua Hin and when you get to Cha am it goes back up to the bypass and then you come into Hua Hin town near Chatchai market. Apparently there are so many checkpoints the drivers are sick of it already.

The actual town centre is awash with traffic cones and more than the usual useless police watching as traffic stops for an eternity at disfunction junction! The Asean traffic has not one but two designated 'ASEAN Lanes' which slices through the main road from around Soi 102 to I'm not sure actually but possibly Chiang Rai :D

Driving from Soi 102 it doesn't look like you can actually u-turn at any junction so if wanting to go to say Khao Takiab you would have to drive into town and u-turn at the main lights!

As usual there has been complete an utter stupidity with regards planning. Last time every soi off the main road had to stop whilst the asean oficials and their chronies went to and from the hotels. Absolutely no regard for the inhabitants of this lovely town. This time, after their truly disastrous Pattaya meeting, they have gone completely OTT. It seems that for the whole meeting the only people that will be able to do anything are the delegates and tough to all the locals, tourists and businesses that suffer.

I feel better after that rant but some things that happen here in Thailand really do justify the Amazing in Amazing Thailand......but for all the wrong reasons!

Chok dee Hua Hin locals :)

Amen to that, we have a shop towards Petchkasem road and from the amount of "security" personal that goes by in both directions I feel like I'm situated in Khabul or something, and they all have their beloved M-16 guns :)

I'm actually considering going to Bangkok this weekend to get away from all this chaos, they should have these meetings out in the middle of nowhere instead where it didn't affect so many people.

My Wife has just watched the Thai news and people are being advised to "not use the petchkasem road between 23rd and 25th"...........perhaps the jetski owners may get some benefit then as anyone familiar with the road construction in Hua Hin will know any alternative route for us lowly locals would require off roading skills far beyond most driver's abilities :)

I assume the beach will be accessible but then again a couple of months ago my Wife and I were asked to walk up off the beach and onto the road as 'someone important' was staying at one of the beachfront condos. We were just strolling on the beach and left our shoes on motorbike. My Wife pointed out to the policeman that we didn't wish to walk on the street barefoot and eventually we persuaded him to let us continue our walk but so as to avoid being shot we walked in the sea until well passed the 'no go area'.

I agree with d0ndela when he says it feels like Kabul - any trip off of the 'PetchkASEAN' Road' shows exactly the level of care the government has for the town of Hua Hin. The roads are appalling and seriously dangerous - especially for the majority, on motorbikes.

The vendors in Cha am market and fishing village are smiles all over......security/police/army are buying in bulk in the morning and ordering huge amounts of produce for the following day. Lets have it more often...Was in a certain Baguette shop in HH the other day and the same thing, police buying big boxes of cakes etc.