Non Immigrant Volunteer O Visa

... and while the Moderators and Senior Members here are obviously very informed people, I do no see that they have any right to invoke The Infallibility of the Pope when they promulgate their opinions... and that is all even a non-Thai attorney could give in the LOS., an opinion.

Is it OK by you if the mods concerned bring the real situation to the attention of those proposing to embark on such a program ?

The real situation is that on any given day in the Kingdom there are persons working as volunteers for large established registered NGOs without work permits and even on two 90 day b-to-b tourist visas. It is important and proper that ThaiVisa point out that by the Letter of the Law a work permit and 'O' visa is required for any volunteer situation.

But I also do not think it realistic to tell a person posting on ThaiVisa who is looking for information to corroborate what they have received from an established registered NGO that they should give up their plans if the NGO refuses to provide the documents required for a work permit especially when the NGO says they have along history of short-term volunteers without such permits.

The caveat is that this is in regards to registered or well-established NGOs, not recent start-ups or pay-to-volunteer mills.

... and I think the case of a large contributor or benefactor who receives an 'observer' invitation for a 'B' visa is not in the same legal class as an unpaid volunteer. The benefactor performs no work as defined by the Ministry of Labor or only incidental to his/her observer status i.e. he/she has some input as to how the contributed funds are spent

I've read the earlier posts, was wondering how long does it take for an organization to get a work permit for you?

Say you get a Non-Immigrant Visa type "O", then you get your work permit. Do you have to maintain your Type "O" visa? eg. is it ok to leave thailand and come back on a 30 day and continue to volunteer? or does your work permit void once you lose your type "O" visa because you left and re-entered on a single entry visa?

I found this link that says....

http://www.sunbeltlegaladvisors.com/Thailand-Work-Permit.php

"Exemptions

Exemptions from the Work Permit requirement are granted to persons occupying the following professions:

- Persons who enter the Kingdom for the performance of any duty or mission for the benefit of education, culture, arts, or sports "

Doesn't that mean if I volunteer to teach English I don't need a work permit? Am I reading the info wrong or is the link incorrect?

Thanks

Getting a work permit for a volunteer can be done in 1 day, as long as the organisation has all the relevant paperwork in order.

To hold a work permit, you must be on a non-immigrant visa. returning on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry would mean your WP is void as you don't have the right visa. But you can get extensions of stay from immigration with your WP and paperwork from the NGO. Together with a re-entry permit you could leave and re-enter without a problem.

This provision in the Thai labour Law is for special cases; people who perform an official function. If you volunteer at a school you still need a WP.

...as long as the organisation has all the relevant paperwork in order... and feels like providing you with that paperwork which not all NGOs care to do.

I thought that Dr_Pat_Pong was interested in addressing the real situation -- and you still seem to think that donating 250,000 Baht to an NGO makes no difference in the equation.

...as long as the organisation has all the relevant paperwork in order... and feels like providing you with that paperwork which not all NGOs care to do.

I thought that Dr_Pat_Pong was interested in addressing the real situation -- and you still seem to think that donating 250,000 Baht to an NGO makes no difference in the equation.

However do you reach that conclusion ? I am rarely impressed by those organisations that levy charges for their volunteer workers.

Donating money to a NGO makes you a donor, not a volunteer. There is no need for a donor to have a WP, for a volunteer there is.

as I wrote above:

The caveat is that this is in regards to registered or well-established NGOs, not recent start-ups or pay-to-volunteer mills.

making a major contribution to an NGO who can legitimately use the money is something else as I wrote in detail in previous posts. I believe the word is philanthropy... and if you were to receive an an invitation say on Foundation under Royal Patronage letterhead any Honorary Counsel would be happy to provide you with a 'B' visa. I know because I did it.

as I wrote above:

making a major contribution to an NGO who can legitimately use the money is something else as I wrote in detail in previous posts. I believe the word is philanthropy... and if you were to receive an an invitation say on Foundation under Royal Patronage letterhead any Honorary Counsel would be happy to provide you with a 'B' visa. I know because I did it.

I volunteer for at a government school and still need a work permit. Without it I can be arrested, jailed and fined and deported, volunteering for the government or not.

OK, good moderating point; let's stick to volunteering and work permits.

from the Mazda Thailand website:

The Christian Foundation for the Blind in Thailand (CFBT) is the 174th non-profit charitable organization under the Royal Patronage of H.M. the King. <
>

So there are at least 174 non-profit charitable organizations in Thailand under patronage. If one of those NGOs asks you to come to them as a volunteer, but THEY say that for 6 months or so it is their practice not to provide a work permit (as many topic starters have come on ThaiVisaa and so claimed), then if a prospective volunteer insists upon a work permit, they will most likely be told to go elsewhere. NGOs of this caliber generally have more persons wishing to volunteer than they can accommodate.

If you are dealing with a nascent NGO or a pay-to-volunteer mill, then you are taking your chances if you come to Thailand and volunteer without a WP as the law most certainly requires. With an NGO under patronage or other major registered NGO, however, the local officialdom is probably already well-aware of the practice and maybe sits down with the volunteers for lunch. This is based on my actual experience; not cut-and-paste from Ministry websites

As you say, the law requires it and it carries a maximum jail term of 5 years if you work or volunteer without a work permit.

The law makes no distinction between different kinds of NGO, you can only volunteer for a registered charity. Maybe a well established NGO will not receive (many) checks by labour or immigration, but that is not to say that they wont receive checks. Further more you can always become involved in a situation in which people would like to see your work permit. Such as in the case of an accident at the charity.

You might advise people to take their chances, but we want people to be aware of the risks they take and it isn't just an imaginary risk.

OK you guys win. If the NGO maybe under Patronage that invites someone to volunteer will not give them a work permit, they should just stay home... and if a major league NGO then asks the prospective volunteer why they are not coming to join all the other volunteers, they can say that they were advised not to come right here...

OK you guys win. If the NGO maybe under Patronage that invites someone to volunteer will not give them a work permit, they should just stay home... and if a major league NGO then asks the prospective volunteer why they are not coming to join all the other volunteers, they can say that they were advised not to come right here...

Correct :) They should not let a volunteer run unnecessary risks and do the right thing: provide a WP.