Landlord Problem

The easiest way to avoid late payments is to pay your rent in full in advance. If your rent is due

every 7 days pay 7 days in advance, if 14 , 14 days in advance.

Arrange payment 2 working days before it falls due, eg a Wednesday if the rent is due Friday.

There are perfectly genuine reasons for being late which can be out of your control, if the payment day falls on a Public holiday, a Saturday or Sunday. All businesses pay their accounts on a normal business day and that includes banks.

If you can arrange a direct debit bank to bank transaction on a specific day.

If you pay cash always obtain a receipt.

If you pay by cheque always obtain a receipt and cross the cheque "payee acount only"

The lease agreement should show who is responsible for water charges and electricity.

Water and electricity may be included in the rental payment in some cases.

Business relies on trust and most would not worry about a late payment of a few days,

once it is over the advance payment time it would be a different matter.

And always keep records of all documentation.

If you want to renew the lease advise the owner in writing at least 30 days before it falls due

Likewise the owner should advise the tenant with a notice in writing 30 days before the lease

expires.

Your bond payment is a separate issue, you should have a receipt for it and documentation

regarding the conditions of refund.

If he took your money he can't then turn around and evict you a week later. He can tell you to leave at the end of the rental term.

Two days is outrageous. I routinely give a 5 day grace window to renters and often much longer to those who make prior arrangements. I just fine people who consistently pay late for no good reason. This toad either has a higher paying tenant waiting to replace you, is trying to steal your deposit or is an idiot. No smart landlord kicks out a good paying tenant for something so trivial.

And what bank do you have that gives a weekend grace period? I'm guessing not a large American bank. I paid Chase electronically on a Friday afternoon once. They claimed since the payment was after 12 noon it could not be processed until Monday. No electric on weekends so computers are down? My due date was on a Sunday. Bam...0% interest rate to 29.99% plus a late payment fee.

If he took your money he can't then turn around and evict you a week later. He can tell you to leave at the end of the rental term.

Two days is outrageous. I routinely give a 5 day grace window to renters and often much longer to those who make prior arrangements. I just fine people who consistently pay late for no good reason. This toad either has a higher paying tenant waiting to replace you, is trying to steal your deposit or is an idiot. No smart landlord kicks out a good paying tenant for something so trivial.

And what bank do you have that gives a weekend grace period? I'm guessing not a large American bank. I paid Chase electronically on a Friday afternoon once. They claimed since the payment was after 12 noon it could not be processed until Monday. No electric on weekends so computers are down? My due date was on a Sunday. Bam...0% interest rate to 29.99% plus a late payment fee.

An Australian bank. If a transaction cannot be processed because it falls on a public holiday,

a Saturday or Sunday it will be processed on the next bank working day.

Applies to direct debit and internet transactions including IMTs.

You may incur a penalty on late payments ( eg CCs) if you have not made the minimum payment as per your statement. Utility companies do not worry about late payments as long as a payment is made full or in part within the next billing period.