Public School [with Tutoring] Vs Private School

jaideeguy

After sending my 2 adopted Thai kids to an 'average' private school to grade P6, I am now faced with having to make a choice of sending them [at +2X the cost I am now paying] to one of the many private options in Chiang Mai OR a local public school supplemented with tutoring on the side to make up for the deficiencies of public school system.

Both kids are average kids, getting 'average' grades, low 70's and I think would have a hard time passing entrance exams for the one good public school in CM, but that will be first choice.

I find myself trying to weigh the benefits of the private school system vs the public school system. If I do choose the 'public option', I will supplement it with tutors and extra curricular activities like music, art, martial arts, language etc.

I figure that they are already ahead of the game with their English skills that they have picked up from me.....both of them switching easily back and fourth from Thai to English........much more relaxed than the normal Thai student that learns their English from a non English speaking teacher, but are afraid to communicate. My kids also have had a couple of years of Chinese language and I will continue that.

As a parent, I simply want to open as many 'doors' as I can for them to succeed in life and I've been here long enough to know that diplomas are quite easy to come by and are seldom put to full use in real life. My wife, with her degree in agriculture is an example of that......her only job experience has been in retail sales.

From what I've seen and heard private schools are run like businesses and [mostly] corrupt in that they accept bribes for entrance and you don't always get what you pay for.

What I'm asking from both teachers and parents is to add their opinions and suggestions to my short list of pros and cons of private verses public school options here in LOS.

ARGUMENTS FOR PRIVATE SCHOOL

better student teacher ratio

[maybe] better class of friends

better quality of teachers[maybe]

ARGUMENTS AGAINST PRIVATE SCHOOL

1.5hrs X2 on bus to city

cost of tuition with all the hidden 'extras'

the under the table 'donation' that is required by most private schools

ARGUMENTS FOR PUBLIC SCHOOL

closer to home....1/2 hr commute

cheaper

money saved could be put towards tutoring

ARGUMENTS AGAINST PUBLIC SCHOOL

student teacher ratio high

lower class of students [?]

less language options [but can be supplemented]

Thanks in advance for any constructive input.

Registered or not, it doesn't make any difference. You can send your kids to a public school.

Remember, not all private schools are good and not all public schools are bad.

Public or private, I think you'll supplement their studies with extra classes.

I don't know why you are thinking that the quality of the teachers at private schools are better.

Good, average and bad in both places. Because of public schools pay and benefits, many good young teachers working in private schools try to become government teachers.

As a general rule, government teachers, in my experience, get more training over the years than do their counterparts in the private sector.

I also think it's a wrong assumption to believe that private school students are better than those in public schools.

Good and bad students in both places. Don't equate not being able to, or not wanting to pay the higher fees with not being a good student. Don't think that students with money are all good students, either.

Some private schools have large class sizes. If that is an important factor for you, check before you enroll them.

Talk to the parents where your kids currently go to school. Ask them what choices they'd make with their kids. You'll get an idea of how other schools are thought of.

It's a difficult decision you face. I've had my daughter in both systems, and had good results in both.

You might want to include your kids in the decision making process.

In the end, I think you'll be happy with whatever way you go.

Good luck.

Registered or not, it doesn't make any difference. You can send your kids to a public school.

DIDN'T THINK SO, ESPECIALLY SINCE I AM NOT THE FATHER BY BIRTH.

Remember, not all private schools are good and not all public schools are bad.

AGREE THERE.

Public or private, I think you'll supplement their studies with extra classes.

HAVE BEEN DOING THAT FOR THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS WITH TUTORS IN MATH AND THAI LANGUAGE COMMING A COUPLE OF HRS FOR 1 ON 1 WITH THE KIDS AND CAN SEE IMPROVEMENTS IN GRADES.

I don't know why you are thinking that the quality of the teachers at private schools are better.

Good, average and bad in both places. Because of public schools pay and benefits, many good young teachers working in private schools try to become government teachers.

GOOD TO KNOW......THE MAIN PROBLEM WITH PUBLIC SCHOOLS IS THE STUDENT/TEACHER RATIO IS HIGHER.

As a general rule, government teachers, in my experience, get more training over the years than do their counterparts in the private sector. TOTALLY AGREE WITH THAT, AS I SEE SOME FLAKEY PRIVATE SCHOOL TEACHERS AND HAVE SEEN SOME DEDICATED PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHERS AS WELL.

I also think it's a wrong assumption to believe that private school students are better than those in public schools.

Good and bad students in both places. Don't equate not being able to, or not wanting to pay the higher fees with not being a good student. Don't think that students with money are all good students, either.

ABSOLUTELY RIGHT, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU CAN 'BUY' YOUR KID'S ENTRANCE TO PRIVATE SCHOOLS.

Some private schools have large class sizes. If that is an important factor for you, check before you enroll them.

WE HAVE A FEW MONTHS TO SHOP AROUND AND WEIGH THE OPTIONS. i GOT ONE BAD IMPRESSION FROM A LOCAL [RELIGIOUS BASED] SCHOOL THAT HAD A NATIVITY SCENE AND XMASS CAROLS BLASTING IN OCTOBER.

Talk to the parents where your kids currently go to school. Ask them what choices they'd make with their kids. You'll get an idea of how other schools are thought of.

HARD FOR ME, NOT SPEAKING THAI AND THE THAI WIFE IS LIKE MOST THAIS AND DOESN'T LIKE TO ASK STRANGERS.

It's a difficult decision you face. I've had my daughter in both systems, and had good results in both.

You might want to include your kids in the decision making process.

WILL FOR SURE DO THAT, ONCE WE COME UP WITH A SHORT LIST.

THANKS TERRY FOR YOUR INPUT.

• 3 weeks later...

You might want to talk to the kids about where they want to go to school. Next, I would talk to some parents about there experience has been with different schools. Finally, I would take a look at the quality of both the school and the clientele it serves--this includes class size, teacher-student ratio and social factors such as the exposure to negative influences for the kids like drugs and alcohol use.

I doubt very much that anyone is going to have a magic 'answer' about a very good, affordable school that has gone unnoticed by the populace at large....but then again, maybe!

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I know it's not what you asked, but perhaps you could swing it.

My wife did Dara and summers at the British Council.

However, I knew of plenty of students who did just as well at Yuparaj (Spelling) with private tutoring when compared to Montfort etc.

Whatever you do decide, take an active role, something I see you plan on doing anyways, this will ensure a bright future.

Just because it is a private school, does not mean you are necesarily going to get a better education there. The only thing for sure is you will pay more.

Someone did mention if your marriage was registered it might have an effect. I too believe this might be true. There are rules for attending schools where the parents are registered.

Tutors can do alot for you if you get good ones. You need to be interviewing them and then making your choices.

Tim

Just because it is a private school, does not mean you are necesarily going to get a better education there. The only thing for sure is you will pay more.

That's good advice for the OP; I've always sent my step-kids (my Thai wife's children from her previous marriage) to government schools (in Bangkok) and there are some real gems.

The crucial point which hasn't yet been made is that the private vs public school debate is far more relevant to the formative years P1-P6.

For secondary schooling, which the OP's children are entering, the smartest kids enter the public schools through the examination system and the parents of the less accademically-inclined children have to pay private school fees or be lucky enough to recieve a scholarship (again, usually based on exam results).

In my estimation of the situation at my step-kids' school, the social and class divisions are far less pronounced from M1 up and children from all socio-economic backgrounds are similarly motivated to attend the best government schools. I've had no direct insight into Thai universities yet, but I did watch the Thai documentary/movie 'Final Score' and I think the trend continues - heaps of the brightest students from all background compete for cheap places at the best Thai public universities.

My advise to the OP is to spend all their time and money coaching the kids to get the best possible end of P6 exam result and then they'll get into the best school.