Kwan Eim And Buddhism

tomahawk

My wife who is Thai Buddhist recently has been going to Kwan Eim temple in Chiang Mai. She is very interested in this and consequently has become vegetarian and is planning to attend their services on Sunday. She asked I come along and I agreed. I am wondering if the practices and beliefs of Chinese Kwan Eim are consistent with those of Thai Buddhism, and is Kwan Eim actually considered a Buddha? I am new in study of teachings of Buddha and though I read about this on interent I am still confused. Thank you.

My wife who is Thai Buddhist recently has been going to Kwan Eim temple in Chiang Mai. She is very interested in this and consequently has become vegetarian and is planning to attend their services on Sunday. She asked I come along and I agreed. I am wondering if the practices and beliefs of Chinese Kwan Eim are consistent with those of Thai Buddhism, and is Kwan Eim actually considered a Buddha? I am new in study of teachings of Buddha and though I read about this on interent I am still confused. Thank you.

There's a long article about Kwan/Kuan Eim/Im in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guan_Yin

I've always understood her to be the feminine aspect of Avalokiteshvara and a Bodhisattva in the Mahayana tradition. She is also referred to as the Bodhisattva of Compassion (though I thought all Bodhisattvas were compassionate by definition). :)

It has been a few decades since I read it, but you might enjoy John Blofeld's "Bodhisattva of Compassion. The Mystical Tradition of Kuan Yin".

A blurb from one review states : "Kuan Yin is both a Buddhist symbol and a beloved deity of Chinese folk religion...." I'm guessing her entrance into Thai religious practices was via the Thai-Chinese community.

Blofeld had an interesting life; and lived for many years in Bangkok.

I am wondering if the practices and beliefs of Chinese Kwan Eim are consistent with those of Thai Buddhism, and is Kwan Eim actually considered a Buddha?

I think in the sense that Kuan-im represents compassion, that is compatible with Thai Buddhism. Being a vegetarian is obviously desirable but not mandatory in Thai Buddhism. Praying to Kuan-im for help of any kind is not - strictly speaking - compatible with Thai Buddhism, although I'm sure some Thais pray to the Buddha for help. The idea of receiving help from a bodhisattva is Mahayana Buddhism. In any case, Kuan-im was transformed from the original Indian bodhisattava Avalokitasvara in Tang Dynasty China and became a female goddess.

Thank you camerata for explanation. I have found a book called Taoist and Buddhist Practices in Ancient China which mentions Kwan Eim under name Guan Yin but it does not really go into it deeply. Also Guan Yu who from what I gather is also revered in China and I guess is related in some way to Kwan Eim.

Also Guan Yu who from what I gather is also revered in China and I guess is related in some way to Kwan Eim.

Guan Yu was a historical character, and one of the three heroes of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. He later became a kind of deity symbolizing justice. Apparently, Hong Kong police stations all have a statue of him. I've seen a few in Thailand too, where he is known as Guan Oo. So no relation to Guan-im/Kwan Yin.

• 3 months later...
Also Guan Yu who from what I gather is also revered in China and I guess is related in some way to Kwan Eim.

Guan Yu was a historical character, and one of the three heroes of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. He later became a kind of deity symbolizing justice. Apparently, Hong Kong police stations all have a statue of him. I've seen a few in Thailand too, where he is known as Guan Oo. So no relation to Guan-im/Kwan Yin.

Guan Gong as he is more commonly known symbolizes loyalty. People on both sides of the law worships him.

The chinese deity that symbolizes justice would be Bao Gong aka Bao Ching Tian (literally translated as clear sky). He is another historical figure as well