Internet Connection

Well, we comin to Samui and today i found out there are huge problems with outcomin traffic on whole Samui, so while incomin traffic do well over 2mb/s outcmoin traffic doin only 0.2 mb/s on the very same intenet plan, this is very very awful, im using remote administrator and have only 0.2 of outcomin traffic is not acceptable. Is there any places, areas on Samui which covered by some wifi/adsl pproviders and have good, solid connection?

Thank u

Well, we comin to Samui and today i found out there are huge problems with outcomin traffic on whole Samui, so while incomin traffic do well over 2mb/s outcmoin traffic doin only 0.2 mb/s on the very same intenet plan, this is very very awful, im using remote administrator and have only 0.2 of outcomin traffic is not acceptable. Is there any places, areas on Samui which covered by some wifi/adsl pproviders and have good, solid connection?

Thank u

The most popular wifi provider have 512/128k, but even in Europe standard 4mbit adsl is usually 256k upload.......

The worst in Thailand is the latency to europe....

Find a bar or somewhere with TT&T PRemier (1090 baht a month), is fine for RDP to london etc..

Failing that go to the IT complex in Lamai, internet is fast and they have nice aircon office space including power you can use ad-hoc for 1baht per minute, again full screen/colour RDP to europe is fine as is SSH.

Cat telecom is about 3,000 a month, not sure if its as good as they say upstream, although people have only said good things about it, Foxy's bar in Choneng Mon has on the free wifi, so perhaps go there and try it first before commiting to a contract.

Edited by mattcodes

Find a bar or somewhere with TT&T PRemier (1090 baht a month), is fine for RDP to london etc..

Failing that go to the IT complex in Lamai, internet is fast and they have nice aircon office space including power you can use ad-hoc for 1baht per minute, again full screen/colour RDP to europe is fine as is SSH.

Cat telecom is about 3,000 a month, not sure if its as good as they say upstream, although people have only said good things about it, Foxy's bar in Choneng Mon has on the free wifi, so perhaps go there and try it first before commiting to a contract.

but what about upload? Is it good? On Samui in general.

Depends. It varies.

The best you're going to get is a TT&T Premier line. Upload to Bangkok around 0.6-0.8Mb/s.

However outside the country can vary a lot. Most I've seen is around 0.5Mb/s to San Francisco. Worst I've seen is 0.01Mb/s to Germany.

It all depend on the time of the day. I've just run 0.78Mb/s Upload to San Francisco - not bad at all.

I'm sat at the Spa Samui in Lamai eating my french toast. :)

Matt.

post-90892-1256521121_thumb.jpg

On the adsl 2mb/1mb up TT&T Premier (1090 baht a month plus tax), inside thailand I get about 1.78 down and 0.78 up, and I have terrible SNR/attentunation.

To a server in London this morning, I get 0.5 upload consistently, seems to reflect what Matt says. I think you can expect 0.5mbit upload for 1090 baht a month. I have a basic vps (500 baht a month) within thailand that I use to tunnel traffic through when TT&T international connections saturate however I've not had to use this for months (last time when they sent everything via Indian national carrier for a few hours).

I will do a speed test from CAT 2mb/2mb (3000 baht a month) next time I at that bar I mentioned or perhaps somewhere here has it.

Edited by mattcodes

BoogieWoogie,

TT&T is provided by a landline just like ADSL in the UK, however you dont have to take the telephone so the dialtone part is dead if you omit this (save 150baht a month i think). Be careful tho specify Premier, dont get suckered by the cheaper Indy or the new 10mb 3BB offer.

You have to go to TT&T office at Tesco (or rather now called the 3BB office) and then if your landlord is willing to shoulder the risk of 12 month contract and furnishes the blue book for such purposes then its a simple case of pay 1 month (plus a few hundred bath for microfilter etc..), if landlord is not willing to shoulder the risk (likely) they will do it for a falang if you pay 12 months upfront, so you take 12x1090 (plus tax, plus there a few misc charges for microfilter etc.. that totals a few hundred baht), pay them and you walk away with the modem etc.. same day,engineers turn up a few days later. If you're in a hurry you ask for the engineers number, call him and discuss and little deal for him to come the next day :) One final point is that depending on location TT&T might insist of sending someone out to survey first (free/no-obligation) before proceeding with setting up the contract (if they do this add a few days extra). If you have a company, work permit and the relevant docs then you go month to month on contract without landlord blue book.

The above refers to the 12 month contract which includes the free line install. Smaller contracts are available I think 3 month etc.. if you pay the 4,000 (not 100% sure if 4k or 5k) line install and pay for the adsl modem etc.. However i think its best to go 12 month route as the cancellation fee within 12 months is only 5,000.

Edited by mattcodes

if you have less than 325 meters of cable the installation will be 3585 for opening the line, 420 baht for inside cable installation and modem and finally a month and half in advance for the internet.

so it should cost around 5500 to get a new line, additional meters of cable is around 16 baht per meter.