What Do We Really Need On Koh Samui ?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure that there are similar threads like mine, however, what do we REALLY need on Samui to make this island world class......???

Everyone will agree on better infrastructure, but what else could the island do with.......

Road drainage, well underway. Garbage collection improved, with lots more bins around the place.

Need to maybe adhere to building codes & zoning regulations.

Don't need any of it... Samui needs to be returned to the peaceful island paradise it was back in the 80's.. Anyone who needs all the mod cons of city life should live in a city and leave the islands alone..

Don't need any of it... Samui needs to be returned to the peaceful island paradise it was back in the 80's.. Anyone who needs all the mod cons of city life should live in a city and leave the islands alone..

First time there was 95 second time 2000 no plane to return the charm is gone. To Meany problems all negative. World class?????

What class are you looking for?

It appears to me in the world people with money and class are seeking quiet places away from the crowds. They have already left Koh Samui and live else where.

Are we talking tourist town when you say world class?

You may or you may not be aware that there is presently a study carried out by Chulalongkorn University in regards to future planning of Koh Samui.

The professor in charge who I met again this morning has asked me what would be needed to make Samui a better place to live for us residents (Thai and foreign) and for visiting tourists (Thai and foreign).

This study also includes Phangan and the re-design of Thongsala area/pier and the Marina in Samui.

So if there is anything which comes to mind then you may post it. If you have nothing to say then just do so.

There will be a public hearing within the next 6 weeks and once I know the date I will advise.

So your criteria is the 80's, others might think 60's or 70's. :)

Apart from detonating a Daisy cutter over the place how would you go

about returning it to the pristine condition of your dreams?

Seriously....

I think that there should be a proper study as regards the supporting

infrastructure for Samui. It is obvious that we are on a knife edge as regards

water and electricity and this will not improve with the present rate of unconstrained

development.

I am sure that there are similar threads like mine, however, what do we REALLY need on Samui to make this island world class......???

Everyone will agree on better infrastructure, but what else could the island do with.......

no more mafia :) (taxi, jetski, drugs, murder, etc). no more robbing and raping (including tourists)...no more shootings. TRAFFIC...slow them all down and get some sanity there....speed limits and aggressively ticket/arrest those who violate speed and traffic safety laws.

make foreigner investment realistic and secure...100% ownership of condominiums, leases that are secure and for 99 years...for starters!!

A second airport... :D

there where plans for a second airport down the south of the island

A second airport is a joke. A deal needs to be done to allow fair competition at the current airport.

Also no more concrete please.

Plant some trees instead. :)

:)

i second that!

but as things are, as they are and time can't be wound back:

tarmac (Asphalt) roads - like in Nathon, building stops, no building where there is no access to water

specially for shop houses and accommodation,

clear obstructive construction (walls etc.) away to give views to the sea back...

have the owners of building ruins clear the sites, larger road sweeping equipment,

land adjoining roads, the owners thereof are made responsible for any runs offs after rainfalls!

Open up the airport for all airlines and international competition - the monopoly hurts all and serves only one!

Fines for burning garbage, plastic...etrc.

Introduce public transport to the island!

And stop those horrible advertising MEGA-Billboards!

Edited by Samuian

...second Samuian's post.

Get rid also of the numerous advertisement signs at scenic streets, natural trails, view points... create public educational botanical trails, improve public sport fields, build bicycle lanes... harsh fines for littering...

Chaweng as a walking street in the evening would be nice, but first manage to get rid of that awful smell and lay the ugly hanging cables under the ground, plant trees/flowers, create more space for outdoor restaurants and decent bars...Afterward allow the touts to stay only next to their shops, so that people can walk hassle free in the middle of the street.

meter taxi, law and order, proper zoning, 1000 baht air fare, a good start

No taxi, max speed 50 km/h, air fare minimum 5000b, no new building for 10 years, bar lower sound after midnight......

I agree, except for the 5000 baht air fare. :):D :D

...second Samuian's post.

Get rid also of the numerous advertisement signs at scenic streets, natural trails, view points... create public educational botanical trails, improve public sport fields, build bicycle lanes... harsh fines for littering...

Chaweng as a walking street in the evening would be nice, but first manage to get rid of that awful smell and lay the ugly hanging cables under the ground, plant trees/flowers, create more space for outdoor restaurants and decent bars...Afterward allow the touts to stay only next to their shops, so that people can walk hassle free in the middle of the street.

Good call, the hanging cables everywhere look really ugly. Agree with all your points and Samuians. Would be nice to see a few recycling points around the island. Strict Zoning laws re lady bars ,clubs and new developments.

Most importantly, continue drainage improvements, improve roads, conceal hanging wires all over the island, bins (tastefull) on beaches and streets. ( Oh and also Consistant, fair and effective policing??? )

You may or you may not be aware that there is presently a study carried out by Chulalongkorn University in regards to future planning of Koh Samui.

The professor in charge who I met again this morning has asked me what would be needed to make Samui a better place to live for us residents (Thai and foreign) and for visiting tourists (Thai and foreign).

This study also includes Phangan and the re-design of Thongsala area/pier and the Marina in Samui.

So if there is anything which comes to mind then you may post it. If you have nothing to say then just do so.

There will be a public hearing within the next 6 weeks and once I know the date I will advise.

need to sort out the electric and water supply for chongmon area, no goverment water for 4 weeks...............

It would be interesting to look at this "wish list" in 5 years time and see what has actually been carried out!! :):D

I also wonder if in this time the Administration of K.Phangan will have learnt anything from the appalling situation that has been allowed to develop here.