What Do We Really Need On Koh Samui ?

Good Evening All

I have just joined this site ,and am probably the newest member, purely because of this question.

Ever since leaving Hua Hin I have wanted to visit Koh Samui,and I mean really wanted to visit.

The other 3 members of my usual holiday group were angling for 2010 to the Caribbean

but because it is my 30th Wedding Anniversary and the wife`s birthday (on the same day) I managed to persuade them otherwise and we have paid for 3 nights in Bangkok , visiting friends and then down to K.S. for 14 days.

Then I log onto the Forum and start to read about what is not good about K.Samui and I start to wonder if I have done the right thing.

Like Donald Sutherland said in "Kelly`s Heroes".."What`s with the negative vibes".

I had previously been warned about the Jet Ski Mafia at Chaweng which is one reason we chose Lamai.

Surely there has to be something good about the Island or have I just wasted several thousands of pounds.

I sincerely hope not as I have always loved Thailand and it`s people , I would hate to have find another country in replacement.

regards

JS

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see more songthaews overall. Running to a more regular schedule and serving more areas especially outside of high season.

Hopefully this might reduce the number of vehicles on the road a little and help to lower the taxi fares as well.

Edited by smokie36

Good Evening All

I have just joined this site ,and am probably the newest member, purely because of this question.

Ever since leaving Hua Hin I have wanted to visit Koh Samui,and I mean really wanted to visit.

The other 3 members of my usual holiday group were angling for 2010 to the Caribbean

but because it is my 30th Wedding Anniversary and the wife`s birthday (on the same day) I managed to persuade them otherwise and we have paid for 3 nights in Bangkok , visiting friends and then down to K.S. for 14 days.

Then I log onto the Forum and start to read about what is not good about K.Samui and I start to wonder if I have done the right thing.

Like Donald Sutherland said in "Kelly`s Heroes".."What`s with the negative vibes".

I had previously been warned about the Jet Ski Mafia at Chaweng which is one reason we chose Lamai.

Surely there has to be something good about the Island or have I just wasted several thousands of pounds.

I sincerely hope not as I have always loved Thailand and it`s people , I would hate to have find another country in replacement.

regards

JS

Ignore us. We are just a bunch of moaners! :)

This thread is simply about things that could be improved on the island. Like everywhere around the world, there is always room for improvement. And if the thread were about what we all liked about this place, then it would run to a lot more pages! :D

As for the so-called jet ski mafia, well, I suspect that unless you are planning on jet-skiing all day long, then you won't even know they exist!! :D

So come on over here and have a great holiday.

Good Evening All

regards

JS

Ignore us. We are just a bunch of moaners! :)

This thread is simply about things that could be improved on the island. Like everywhere around the world, there is always room for improvement. And if the thread were about what we all liked about this place, then it would run to a lot more pages! :D

As for the so-called jet ski mafia, well, I suspect that unless you are planning on jet-skiing all day long, then you won't even know they exist!! :D

So come on over here and have a great holiday.

Very true. I moan about things but i'm into my sixth year here. But ofcourse nowhere is perfect and many of us view with a deal of frustration the obvious improvements that in many cases could so easily be implemented. It is though, a great place to live and i'm sure you will have a great holiday.

I am sure that there are similar threads like mine, however, what do we REALLY need on Samui to make this island world class......???

Everyone will agree on better infrastructure, but what else could the island do with.......

proper marine park attracts more money more customers and better women :)

There is a proper marine park, it's called AngThong National Marine Park, why do we need another??

Good Evening All

regards

JS

You should have a great holiday but just make sure to wear your bullet proof vest and that your medical insurance is up to date :) .

You should have a great holiday but just make sure to wear your bullet proof vest and that your medical insurance is up to date :) .

Why should he, you are not here at the moment :D

post-28064-1256885379_thumb.jpg

Bars would be the last resort, maybe places like tropical murphy's, and islander, Zico's, Tesco, BigC, Macro, Bangkok Air, the 7/11 retail chain and the large hotels (Accor, Mercure, Centara, Nora, Pavillion...) are the target's, their logo on the other side of the bag!

Start somewhere!

post-28064-1256885379_thumb.jpg

Bars would be the last resort, maybe places like tropical murphy's, and islander, Zico's, Tesco, BigC, Macro, Bangkok Air, the 7/11 retail chain and the large hotels (Accor, Mercure, Centara, Nora, Pavillion...) are the target's, their logo on the other side of the bag!

Start somewhere!

That's what I mentioned in my second reply samuian.

Some people see all things only through a narrowed bar perspective and don't get it, that the overwhelming majority of people on Samui and tourists never, not once, sit at a bar these people speak about.

Good idea again, Samuian!

another motive for that bag - one side in Thai, the other in English:

post-33720-1256967724.jpg

Edited by Birdman

Just love the idea about the textile bag!

Good one Samuian! :)

OK, i KNOW it might sound like i have the brain of an ant, but i'll take my chances here.

Perhaps we can engage the island schools to be a part of it as a enviromental project as well.

Design competition?

If we only could find someone to sponsor the project with a little money.

Since Samui have gotten some money for community work such as repairing the roads and drainage, is it not possible that they community in some way can help with the textile bag project as well?

As Samui now have town-status and the PM has been here to see the islands needs, woudn't that be a chance for islanders to show that they also care about the islands enviroment and wellbeing?

I know...i sound naive but, we need to start somewhere and if people are afraid to ask they will never get any answers.

Have a nice Saturday now!

Take care,

/

comehome :D

Perhaps the hospitals, can donate some money and then they can have their logotype on the bag.

What about all these other companies that struggle to collect money for their own projects, perhaps they can join this one instead?

They actually don't have to donate money, perhaps they can help with printing, fabric, sewing etc. and for that they can have their logo printed on the bag.

A nice design on one side and logtypes of the sponsors on the other?

Wishful thinking again i guess....

Edited by Comehome

Here are some local comanies we can ask:

PTT

Caldex

the hospitals

the police

the water companies

the hotels

travel companies or agents

the car companies (we have lots of car showrooms on this island)

Tesco Lotus

Big C

the ferry companies,

Bangkok airways

singha beer

print shops

tailors (perhaps they can give some fabrics)

Mcdonalds, pizza hut, Burger King,

Boots

Watsons

Optical shops

Pharmacies

Just brainstorming at the moment.

If the Samuians feel good about their island the tourists will too.

As Samuian wrote earlier, we need to start somewhere!

I think you mixed up Carabbean and Samui, here a t-shirt is ok, nobody is going around with machine gun like on Dominican republic....

I am sure that there are similar threads like mine, however, what do we REALLY need on Samui to make this island world class......???

Everyone will agree on better infrastructure, but what else could the island do with.......

proper marine park attracts more money more customers and better women :)

There is a proper marine park, it's called AngThong National Marine Park, why do we need another??

we need somewhere to attract the super super rich. then the govement might bother to improve the land infustruct same as phuket. i can't beleive that here we have roads filled with huge pot hole yet in phuket they have road works because the want to put palme treas in btwn the main high way the 402.

the other thing is taxi's i i just culd not be bothered to get a taxi today to take me 5 kms to my destination while my car was being fixed for 2 hours. so i pulled out my trainers and ran back home. probably saved enoughmoney to fill the cost of having my car done. minde u phuket is terrible aslo. 250 baht or a few kms. if i was thai i would be the only 1 that would put it on the meter. i would have to fight my customers away. the only honest 1 in on the island

General planing concept on all island's

replanting the arrival coastline in Thongsala with hundreds of coconut tree's and all other places they been taken away. Could be a good learning process for the kids here, and something they could be proud of later.

improve electric system, improve use of solar cell,

improve the research on the archipelago with wise themas through the student's

improve "green Phangan" clear the waste problem, easy to do today!

making walk way's all over the island, with natural learning paths, for tree's and plant's or what so ever! Make jungle treks for everybody to walk, maintain and protect. Attract nature loving people and

create a system of electric car's for public transport on the island's. Something like that could be a hipe for the island's in some years to come!

improve the behavior of the see and fishing staff (and the locals), due to the immense waste they throwing into the sea........

If you could transform Samui into any sort of place you can think of, what place would that be? Suva in Fiji? Bali? Manhattan Island?

If this is the place (Samui/Phangan/Tao) where people pay good money to visit - have and always will - what's the beef? If you wanted proper everything you'd have vacationed in Perth... or do you prefer Hokkaido?

After my first trip in Phuket since 2003, I can tell you, in my opinion, that Samui is without hope.

I am positively impressed how Phuket is far better than Samui in everything (road quality, natural attractions, urban decorations, plants, style, services,etc etc).

After my first trip in Phuket since 2003, I can tell you, in my opinion, that Samui is without hope.

I am positively impressed how Phuket is far better than Samui in everything (road quality, natural attractions, urban decorations, plants, style, services,etc etc).

as much as i hate what u r writing i know u are right. phuket is properly developed. i think that people with large amounts of money probaby chose to life there where they can drive their high powered sports cars without falling down a pot whole every 2 seconds. though for some reason i still choose to life in samui. don't know why. though samui could do with some of phukets infastructor.