What Do We Really Need On Koh Samui ?

Looks like we get a neat catalog together here!

Public transport on LPG - Hybrid or electricity ONLY...

...make Jet skies to have fully comprehensive insurance cover..

...encourage "weekenders/visitors" to leave car on the mainland (levy island taxes for cars of non residents)!

...encourage "local looks/architecture" on buildings..

...force the shops, specially the large chains Familymart, 7/11, BigC, Lotus, Macro etc.

to use/sell Jute/Hemp/cotton bags instead those zillions of plastic bags

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

turn the beach road in chewang starting from scb to lamdin rd into a walking street after 1800 hrs, with possibly only a free shuttle making round trips from one end to the other.

A very good Idea Maccaroni man. It is terrible for parents with kids and for everyone else to walk on those tiny sidewalks. It would allso give a good income for street vendors and most of the businesses along the road would make good money from this. Probably taking some of the business from the beach, but not to much.

I allso have to say to the guys that want the island to be like it was in the 80`s to wake up and face reallity. Nothing and nowhere is going to be like it was in the 80`s, it is you guys that are getting old. Everything was so much better before blabla, heard it 100 times and the truth is that it wasn`t better before and if you want dirtroads and nothing to do, go somewhere else.

You may or you may not be aware that there is presently a study carried out by Chulalongkorn University in regards to future planning of Koh Samui.

The professor in charge who I met again this morning has asked me what would be needed to make Samui a better place to live for us residents (Thai and foreign) and for visiting tourists (Thai and foreign).

This study also includes Phangan and the re-design of Thongsala area/pier and the Marina in Samui.

So if there is anything which comes to mind then you may post it. If you have nothing to say then just do so.

There will be a public hearing within the next 6 weeks and once I know the date I will advise.

I hope this is not a lot of noise without real substance, elsewhere this sound as good news.

I will also ask Samui Coconut to announce the result of this hearings as soon he knows it.

There are a lot of good and not so good ideas for improvement for Samui and to make it a better place to live for everybody, Thais and farangs.

But please stop the foolish idea of building another airport. I believed this crazy topic was dead and buried

3 years ago

You may or you may not be aware that there is presently a study carried out by Chulalongkorn University in regards to future planning of Koh Samui.

The professor in charge who I met again this morning has asked me what would be needed to make Samui a better place to live for us residents (Thai and foreign) and for visiting tourists (Thai and foreign).

This study also includes Phangan and the re-design of Thongsala area/pier and the Marina in Samui.

So if there is anything which comes to mind then you may post it. If you have nothing to say then just do so.

There will be a public hearing within the next 6 weeks and once I know the date I will advise.

I hope this is not a lot of noise without real substance, elsewhere this sound as good news.

I will also ask Samui Coconut to announce the result of this hearings as soon he knows it.

There are a lot of good and not so good ideas for improvement for Samui and to make it a better place to live for everybody, Thais and farangs.

But please stop the foolish idea of building another airport. I believed this crazy topic was dead and buried

3 years ago

Agree, the idea is plain bloody stupid. Anyway the land where the only possible place where it mightbe possible to build

an airport which would never ever conform to International safety criteria is/was evidently owned by a certain Ex PM who had a vested interest in seeing yet more concrete added on this island;)

(You are right this subject was done to death years ago).

The aim of this topic was surely to find ways of improving Samui, not destroying it!

To improve on this great island I would suggest starting with the basics. Like electricity, water, drainage and sewage.

Much as I would love to see Chaweng pedestrianised, no amount of hanging baskets are going to cover the smell of s##t! Allowing a new 5 star hotel to discharge its' guest onto an open sewer cannot be a good thing. :D You won't get run over but you run the risk of catching some nasty disease!

Another example; I would like to see more traffic lights. I think they would help. But whilst the electricity to run them is not realiable enough, and the drains let the roads flood making them pointless, and, I guess, no enforcement of their use, then why bother?

So, I would put a halt to any new development and get what already exists working for the benefit of everyone.

But hey, my degree was in biochemistry, not town planning! :)

When I last visited Waki Waki Hawaii about 7 years ago, I could not believe the changes after not being there for probably 15 years before that... so pristine... lights & glitter... and bloody expensive! Is that what we want here....? I hope not...

Now, I don't live in Chawang, & avoid it like the plague, ... just not my cup of tea... with the noise I assume 24 / 7? :D There are some lovely spots around the island, & one would hope they won't be ruined by poor planning or over building.... i.e the Thaling Ngam area... where there still are some nice quiet beaches for those of use who like things a bit laid back... :D

I agree with Roo, & others there needs to more recycling facilities... although as I have posted previously, (in many areas) there are People who drive around in pickups looking for anything recyclable... from glass, cans, plastic..... to just about anything they can make a "baht on"...

Perhaps the powers that be should have these people have signs on their trucks... They have a scale in the back & weigh stuff & will offer a few baht (not worth taking it, in my opinion).... Once these people know you collect the recycleable stuff they will stop by regularly. I just use a 25 litre or so sized plastic basket... I think about 100 or so baht at the 10 baht stores. Just flag them down if you see one!..... They don't bite & happy to take what you have.... :D

At the end of my Soi, there is a large garbage bin, which is used and emptied regularly... although it does smell a bit sometimes! :) But sure better than everything being burned or dumped on properties... where the dogs carry off the bags .... then litter everywhere.... :D

It's going to be interesting now the rainy season looks like it is about to start, how the new drainage systems will workout.... but as the saying goes "Rome was not built in a day" & when I think of the years it takes things to be changed in the west (local politics) nothing happened or changed overnight... why would we expect it to here?

I compare things to where I lived in "the west" sometimes.... not everything is perfect there either... in fact some things a whole lot worse.... give me my little neighbourhood here any day... almost out in the jungle where the coconut trees still grow!

Edited by samuijimmy

A big beautiful park/green garden area, with no motor traffic

near Chaweng/Lamai.

800px-KLCC_park_fountain_night.jpg

It needs cofee shops, around/in it to make it alive.

The closest thing to that right now, is

the long, ghetto ambiance, concrete area by the chaweng lake,

and that area look horrible.

Big, people friendly, beautiful areas, makes a destination

worldclass

turn the beach road in chewang starting from scb to lamdin rd into a walking street after 1800 hrs, with possibly only a free shuttle making round trips from one end to the other.

There is already a walking street.

The new road over the stream from Chaweng Lake.

On the lake end they have a nice sign claiming "SAMUI WALKING STREET". :)

Use the walking street at the airport as a model for Chaweng Beach Road, with access for deliveries at certain times of the day (early morning would be best).

Taxi and Mini Buses only have access when picking up or dropping off. No taxis parked all the way along all day and constantly beeping at everyone (even me when i have just got off my bike !!!), this should then increase trade for all the bars, restaurants and shops that are based there.

Provide somewhere for people to park either their cars or bikes both day and night time.

It's a start and can be replicated in Lamai etc.

Use the walking street at the airport as a model for Chaweng Beach Road, with access for deliveries at certain times of the day (early morning would be best).

Taxi and Mini Buses only have access when picking up or dropping off. No taxis parked all the way along all day and constantly beeping at everyone (even me when i have just got off my bike !!!), this should then increase trade for all the bars, restaurants and shops that are based there.

Provide somewhere for people to park either their cars or bikes both day and night time.

It's a start and can be replicated in Lamai etc.

The idea is good but using the airport street as a model is a bit crazy. I've never saw an airport on a tropical place make people do check in in one place, next go out under the sun for a long walking street with again security and the entrance to the real terminal.

The designer were obviously from a mental hospital.

But for lamai and Chaweng beach street closing at evening make sense, just let bike and taxi only in defined parking spot.

There is already a walking street.

The new road over the stream from Chaweng Lake.

On the lake end they have a nice sign claiming "SAMUI WALKING STREET". :)

my drive way is long than that stretch of pavement :D

near Chaweng/Lamai.

worldclass

samui will NEVER be that...or world class...too many monkey maffia...

Samui needs a major attraction. What many cities around the world have done is build an entertainment/restaurant/shopping area bordered by water, usually referred to as Waterside, Bayside, or Lakeside. It's a place where the whole family can enjoy themselves listening to a live band, eating a variety of different foods, and doing a bit of shopping. That is what I thought they were building around Chaweng lake, but it only has a few events per year plus the area is not well-maintained. At night, people go to Tesco, or to bars, and others try to find the traveling gypsy markets, but there is no central place that combines everything.

Samui needs a major attraction. What many cities around the world have done is build an entertainment/restaurant/shopping area bordered by water, usually referred to as Waterside, Bayside, or Lakeside. It's a place where the whole family can enjoy themselves listening to a live band, eating a variety of different foods, and doing a bit of shopping. That is what I thought they were building around Chaweng lake, but it only has a few events per year plus the area is not well-maintained. At night, people go to Tesco, or to bars, and others try to find the traveling gypsy markets, but there is no central place that combines everything.

A shopping mall with a few coffee shops and a view of the lake...maybe an open plan dining area complete with mcdonalds/svensen/pizza co

A 'major' attraction I come to Samui to escape from.

I agree.

A place for families to be able to hang around without worrying about cars and motorbikes everywhere.

A nice park with some coffeshops and good food would be nice.

A bit off topic, but is there a Disneyworld in Thailand already?

I know there are some disney products are already produced in Thailand and they are not that expensive to buy since they are locally produced.

I guess it is time Samui put some energy on all the families that acctually come here.

And local families too for that matter.

I guess it is time Samui put some energy on all the families that acctually come here.

I agree. Like proper roads to drive safely on, a decent water supply, electricity that doesn't shut down daily, and shopping streets that don't smell of sh1t. :D

Then Disneyland might consider investing in here. Although I doubt I will be their first visitor. :)

Fine the ever honking taxis, for using the horn for no reason!...

"walking street" is a GOOD Idea - so far this road has gone a long way..

from a rather passable to a nearly non passable rd. to one way and truck off

after 18:00...

yeah, the "Lakeside development" is what the community get's if corruption amkes

the rules!

Incompetent Planning, with loads and loads of concrete piled up,

and few plants and green areas, a playground is missing - right!

The pavilions are vandalized :) and @ the "walking street" part, all the electric

lamps are destroyed (wrong material & design)... NO public Toilets... so the space below the "aerobics Area" has

become a toilet... the "Parking area" oppsite is the best example of incredible shoddy work...

it's falling apart already - it's hardly EVER having being used or seen parking cars - except on wekkends a couple

of "hot rod pick up" trucks displaying and competing with their build in discos - eardrum busting equipment!

Edited by Samuian

More beer bars, jet ski rentals, motorbikes, karaoke bars and all night discos. Abolish all automobiles and contract all taxis to Phuket mafia. Establish free trade zone on beaches. That should get rid of most of the tourists. The remainder will be extradited to Pattaya. Now start over.

near Chaweng/Lamai.

worldclass

I see room in there for a few jet ski rental shops.

near Chaweng/Lamai.

worldclass

I see room in there for a few jet ski rental shops.

Night time Jet ski races, Singapore eat your heart out. :)

How about an F1 Grand Prix to prove to the locals that you can have fun racing around the island but at lesser speeds!!

When this happens my hot air balloon business will quite literally take off offering spectacular and panoramic views of the action.

:)

For Starters I would like to see this type of bag all over the Island instead of the Plastic ones!

post-28064-1256885379_thumb.jpg

It bears the seal of TAT and TAKS - I have no clue why this bag isn't around - it has been used as

an advertising "give away" on the ITB Berlin/Germany in March this year and there it has been given away in hundreds!

The design, there could be a design "a I love Samui" logo competition...

Edited by Samuian

For Starters I would like to see this type of bag all over the Island instead of the Plastic ones!

It bears the seal of TAT and TAKS - I have no clue why this bag isn't around - it has been used as

an advertising "give away" on the ITB Berlin/Germany in March this year and there it has been given away in hundreds!

Great idea. Simple and attractive.

Get the bars to sponsor them , that would pay for the bags.Now I'm sure there culd be some interesting " I Love....... "

Get the bars to sponsor them , that would pay for the bags.Now I'm sure there culd be some interesting " I Love....... "

Yeah. Great idea! All the bars on Samui are making a fortune at the moment and would love to throw away their few remaining baht on a gimmick like this that goes straight in the trash can once the tourist has gone home. The bags could say " I love an idea from someone who's talking out of his...................." :D:)

Yeah. Great idea! All the bars on Samui are making a fortune at the moment and would love to throw away their few remaining baht on a gimmick like this that goes straight in the trash can once the tourist has gone home. The bags could say " I love an idea from someone who's talking out of his...................." :D:)

Well do you have a better one? What do you think recycling is all about? Most fly by the seat of the pants bars probably can't sponsor, but you have the well establihed ones.

You also have other establishments, that can sponsor a green campaign, bars are only a fraction of the businesses on Samui, I'm sure large hotels etc... would be in it.

As for talking out of my derriere, no I'm not, I'm not blowing hot air :D

I am sure that there are similar threads like mine, however, what do we REALLY need on Samui to make this island world class......???

Everyone will agree on better infrastructure, but what else could the island do with.......

proper marine park attracts more money more customers and better women :)