Newbie To Phuket, Not Thailand

Daewoo

Hi All,

For the past decade, I have typically spent 1 month a year in Thailand... Usually in either BKK (work) or Chiang Mai (motorcycle touring), I speak, read and write limited Thai (very badly) :)… but it is 5 years since I have been to Phuket…

This year I have decided to bring the wife and kids from Australia (even my mum)… so I thought Phuket & Krabi would be good options… because it is so long since I have been down south, I have a few questions I hope you can help with…

Are there Meter Taxis in Phuket now??? (there weren't 5 years ago)… or are they only at the airport??? Can you find them on the street around the Island (especially Kata where we will stay)… will they usually hire on the meter??? If not, what is the right fare from Kata - Karon, Kata - Patong, Kata - Phuket Town, HKT-Kata??? If I am forced into taking a Tuk Tuk for Kata - Patong or Karon how much will I be ripped off???

I would like to hire a Van, because I like the freedom of my own wheels, and also like to be free from haggling with Tuk/Tuks & Taxis… Also, we will be driving to Krabi…. Should I just go with Avis/Budget??? Or are there other cheaper & still reputable options??? I have checked the rates, and there is about 500THB/Day difference between Avis and the 'other' companies that have websites...

Hopefully I will get a night or two to hit the bars in Patong by myself… what is the best way to get back to Kata at closing time when I have had a couple of cleansing ales????

Cheers,

Daewoo

Meter'd taxi's are very hard to find at the best of times and almost impossible to do so in area's such as Patong and Kata, especially after dark when the Taxi mafia and the red cars operate - I haven't checked of late but Patong/Kata in a red car, in high season after dark, figure Baht 750 minimum, more probably Baht 1,000.

I haven't checked of late but Patong/Kata in a red car, in high season after dark, figure Baht 750 minimum, more probably Baht 1,000.

Hooolllly SH!!!!!T.... 1,000 Baht... that is about 100km in a BKK Taxi... hel_l, I can get about 20km in Sydney for that price... If I hire a van, maybe I will just drive myself and sleep in that :) ...

Thanks for the info, even if I didn't like what I heard...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Hooolllly SH!!!!!T.... 1,000 Baht... that is about 100km in a BKK Taxi... hel_l, I can get about 20km in Sydney for that price... If I hire a van, maybe I will just drive myself and sleep in that :) ...

Thanks for the info, even if I didn't like what I heard...

Cheers,

Daewoo

As Chiang mai said, forget about a metered taxi, they're too scared to operate outside the airport, and even on the rare occasions I've managed to flag one down they wouldn't put the meter on, but wanted to charge the same price as a tuk tuk. I suppose if they're taking a chance of being spotted by a tuk tuk driver, operating where they shouldn't be, it needs to be worth their while. What I have done in the past when I've had no car is to have a chat with the private hire cab drivers, like the ones that operate outside Jungceylon and at the end of Bangla. There is so many of them that you can normally get a much better price, especially if they know you may use them several times while you're here. If they're at the back of the queue and aren't going to get a job for an hour or two, and then they get a call from you, they'll jump at the chance to take you home on the cheap.

Hi All,

For the past decade, I have typically spent 1 month a year in Thailand... Usually in either BKK (work) or Chiang Mai (motorcycle touring), I speak, read and write limited Thai (very badly) :) … but it is 5 years since I have been to Phuket…

This year I have decided to bring the wife and kids from Australia (even my mum)… so I thought Phuket & Krabi would be good options… because it is so long since I have been down south, I have a few questions I hope you can help with…

Are there Meter Taxis in Phuket now??? (there weren't 5 years ago)… or are they only at the airport??? Can you find them on the street around the Island (especially Kata where we will stay)… will they usually hire on the meter??? If not, what is the right fare from Kata - Karon, Kata - Patong, Kata - Phuket Town, HKT-Kata??? If I am forced into taking a Tuk Tuk for Kata - Patong or Karon how much will I be ripped off???

I would like to hire a Van, because I like the freedom of my own wheels, and also like to be free from haggling with Tuk/Tuks & Taxis… Also, we will be driving to Krabi…. Should I just go with Avis/Budget??? Or are there other cheaper & still reputable options??? I have checked the rates, and there is about 500THB/Day difference between Avis and the 'other' companies that have websites...

Hopefully I will get a night or two to hit the bars in Patong by myself… what is the best way to get back to Kata at closing time when I have had a couple of cleansing ales????

Cheers,

Daewoo

Hi,

You will not get a taxi meter out and about in Phuket - you will however be able to get one from the airport to your destination. As soon as you step outside the airport turn right and keep walking approx 80metres you will see them infront of you. Very easy to find... I normally pay approx 450 baht to get to Nai Harn which is south of the island so am guessing about the same to kata. I know that the limo drivers would try to charge me at least double that for the same journey. The meter driver normally offers me his card for a lift back to the airport, but havent taken up this offer yet as my partner normally drives me back - so don't know how that would work out money wise.

As for taxis back from Patong - I guess it depends on what time of the evening it is, you could be looking at anything from 400 - 800 baht to Kata.

Car rental:

Basic Suzuki jeeps go for around 500 baht a day, lucky if you have aircon that works - you get what you pay

Mid range: Toyota vios for around 700-900 baht a day, aircon stereo and a lot more comfort, but still fairly basic.

Some of the smaller car companies arent to keen on their vechiles leaving the island. Your probally better off with one of the bigger companies like Avis/budget just in case you encounter a problem off the island.

Cheers

Choppy

seriously gents, thanks for the replies. It is a big help. Generally I have found everything about Phuket ridiculously expensive as a holiday destination, so your input helps me make better decisions.

Compared to the red vans, the 2,000 baht for a 7 seater from Avis seems a bargain, but again, that is as expensive as Australia. Funny that I have ridden thousands of kilometers in Thailand, but am nervous about driving. :)

And getting a hire car drivers number for my late night return sounds like a good option.

Is it possible to get a local to be our tour guide/driver (in our van)???

Cheers,

Daewoo

My advice is to forget the taxis and rent a bike.

:) Great advice Balo !?! I know some Thais can get 7 on a bike but I very much doubt Daewoo will be able to get his family (and mum) on the back of a rental bike.

A couple of xmases a go my family was here and I had a local guy (and his 12 seater) on standby to take my family where ever thy wanted to go (10 of us). It wasn't cheap but worked out pretty good, and no drinking and driving necessary.

Think somewhere round the 1200 mark on the days I used him but was worth it not to worry about driving, crashing, parking, drinking, directions etc.

My advice is to forget the taxis and rent a bike.

:) Great advice Balo !?! I know some Thais can get 7 on a bike but I very much doubt Daewoo will be able to get his family (and mum) on the back of a rental bike.

Hey, I was going to say that :D ...

I actually will probably hire a bike if I can get 'A day off'... my wife rode around Phuket with me 5 years ago, but somehow I don't think I would get permission for Her, My Mum (65) My two sons, and me... she is a lot more risk averse than she was before becoming a parent... luckily none of it has rubbed off on me :D

A couple of xmases a go my family was here and I had a local guy (and his 12 seater) on standby to take my family where ever thy wanted to go (10 of us). It wasn't cheap but worked out pretty good, and no drinking and driving necessary.

Think somewhere round the 1200 mark on the days I used him but was worth it not to worry about driving, crashing, parking, drinking, directions etc.

Even at double that it is only the same price as hiring a van, plus you aren't paying 2000/day when it sits in the hotel carpark... plus I can get drunk as an idiot and still get home... :D

Any contact details? Or can I just hit up one of the hire car guys parked at the beach or something???

Cheers,

Daewoo

Just do not go to Phuket we have just left after ten years every year got worse, if you tell a Tuk Tuk he is charging to much run and hide unless you are about 6ft 6 ins + tough, even the Marines got robed at gun point, ex lover of Phuket saad

Just do not go to Phuket we have just left after ten years every year got worse, if you tell a Tuk Tuk he is charging to much run and hide unless you are about 6ft 6 ins + tough, even the Marines got robed at gun point, ex lover of Phuket saad

Just as an interesting little experiment, it would be nice if the O.P would come back to this thread, the day after he gets back from his holiday, quotes Mr doom and gloom here, and tells us all how it went. That's the problem with good news, more often than not people don't bother to share it, where as people with bad things to say, won't shut the <deleted>#k up. So here we have a 50/50 chance that 'Daewoo' will either have a great family holiday or a nightmare. I'm willing to have a sportsman's bet with anyone that he has the former. Fancy taking my bet 'zazo'?

I agree with the man above.

Why, oh why go to Phuket?

Monopoly after monopoly.

Go to Krabi. It will cost a lot less and is a lot slower paced.

We are actually spending 5 days in Phuket and then 5 days in Krabi, so I will be able to compare both...

Unfortunately things are looking to good for Phuket at the moment... I just can't believe how expensive it is... I am used to touring on my bike, so paying 800THB/day for transport, and 300THB/night for accommodation... I don't go with girls, but do drink lots of beer :) ... all in all I budget on about THB1500/day... I really love Thailand and wanted my kids to experience (even though they are very young), but I am very nervous about this trip and the costs...

Flights from Australia to Phuket with budget carrier Jetstar are THB2000 MORE than with British Airways/Qantas...

Accommodations is at least THB5000/night for the 5 of us...

Now looking at 2000/day for van hire or simillar with extra hassles if I try to use tuktuks...

Added that because my kids are very little, I am worried that we won't be able to keep the entertained easily...

I compare it to my sister who is just back from Fiji where they paid THB40,000 each for 8 nights including all meals and activities and kids club for the kids...

I really hope that all these hassles are worth it, and my kids love Thailand and the Thai people as much as I do... I know that you guys that live there get cynical about tourists saying Thai people are lovely... and I have had my fair share of dealings with touts and rippoff merchants (like the Jetski opperators) but I have also had Thais drive 100km out of their way when I have been out cycling and couldn't go on... met lots of waitresses and shop assistants who are seriously interested in my life and family and have made an effort to make me feel happy... even if it is just sharring some of their food, or introducing me to their kids...

Perhaps that is the difference between getting off the beaten track and to places high in the mountains, or in places that don't see many Farrang tourists like Chaiya or Chumpon...

BTW, if any Thai Visa members want to come exploring around the Island in our van, we will have 2 spare seats and would love the company...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Just as an interesting little experiment, it would be nice if the O.P would come back to this thread, the day after he gets back from his holiday, quotes Mr doom and gloom here, and tells us all how it went. That's the problem with good news, more often than not people don't bother to share it, where as people with bad things to say, won't shut the <deleted>#k up. So here we have a 50/50 chance that 'Daewoo' will either have a great family holiday or a nightmare. I'm willing to have a sportsman's bet with anyone that he has the former. Fancy taking my bet 'zazo'?

Thing is we dont know how perceptive the OP is to getting ripped off..

I find the people that are most impressed with phuket, are the ones who are happy to spend 500 baht on a pair of 100 or 200 baht sandals, who keep telling taxi drivers that the 500 baht tuktuk to go 2kms is 'so much cheaper than back home' and dont know when the stall holders are speaking shit about them to thier face.

If your ignorant to that kind of thing then I agree, you can have a great time.

I find the people that are most impressed with phuket, are the ones who are happy to spend 500 baht on a pair of 100 or 200 baht sandals, who keep telling taxi drivers that the 500 baht tuktuk to go 2kms is 'so much cheaper than back home' and dont know when the stall holders are speaking shit about them to thier face.

So if you went to Bolivia or Croatia tomorrow, (just 2 random countries that you probably haven't been to before) are you telling me you would be able to buy a pair of sandals, and a have a non metered taxi ride, for the same price as the local people? Because according to everyone on here you could, because it's only Thailand where you would pay extra. Or is the truth of the matter, that you would work out the price in your own currency, realise it's much cheaper than back home and get on with enjoying your holiday. Would I also be right in guessing that you don't speak either Bolivian or Croatian so would be none the wiser as to what they were saying about you? You're talking about people being ignorant to these things in Thailand, and the fact of the matter is, we would all be ignorant to those things anywhere else in the world.

So if you went to Bolivia or Croatia tomorrow, (just 2 random countries that you probably haven't been to before) are you telling me you would be able to buy a pair of sandals, and a have a non metered taxi ride, for the same price as the local people? Because according to everyone on here you could, because it's only Thailand where you would pay extra. Or is the truth of the matter, that you would work out the price in your own currency, realise it's much cheaper than back home and get on with enjoying your holiday. Would I also be right in guessing that you don't speak either Bolivian or Croatian so would be none the wiser as to what they were saying about you? You're talking about people being ignorant to these things in Thailand, and the fact of the matter is, we would all be ignorant to those things anywhere else in the world.

So that makes it OK to have people openly talk shit to your face then ?? To shout abuse at you when you dont buy their goods (note I wasnt haggling, I just didnt want the tat quality garbage she was trying to sell me, at any price), to be threatened for parking in public parking places ?? To have you car tyres knifed for parking on a public road ?? etc etc etc.

My GF (Thai) often comes home with tales of witnessed abuses of farangs quite upset about it, the 'why they do like that' thing.. Now if its noticeable enough for a Thai to see it, and actually complain about and register that its too far, then its fairly extreme.

I just put it down to too much over crowding and too many people chasing the get rich quick dream. that I dont blame them, breaking in my house and stealing my stuff.. Well that I do.

Ohh I will assume you will also find a reason why those nice men with the animals for photos stabbed a tourist last night ??

4 of them gang up on the guy and stab him.. Thats Thai style.

Bolivia and Croatia are much safer. Very few iguanas there.

Edited by JetsetBkk

Ohh I will assume you will also find a reason why those nice men with the animals for photos stabbed a tourist last night ??

4 of them gang up on the guy and stab him.. Thats Thai style.

you're wrong there -read the headline - it says

"Iguana starts fight on Soi Crocodile, tourist stabbed"

plainly it was all the iguana's fault!

I am awaiting the customary picture - men pointing at 'criminal' - in this case a guilty looking iguana!

The OP wants an informed opinion about how to get around...

NOT defeatest scaremonering rubbish

the "marines" didn't get robbed at gunpoint they were extras in a TV show.

and don't get in a TUK TUK or any other vehicle ....anywhere in the world .........until you have negotiated the PRICE......don't like to price go to another....run for what.....its called free market economics.....

ZAZO glad you left......I hear Carlisle is nice this time of year...But the Shortbread mafia are to be feared....don't buy any bisciuts in a side street you might have your cardgian ruffled......

Edited by rawaireddragon

So that makes it OK to have people openly talk shit to your face then ?? To shout abuse at you when you dont buy their goods (note I wasnt haggling, I just didnt want the tat quality garbage she was trying to sell me, at any price), to be threatened for parking in public parking places ?? To have you car tyres knifed for parking on a public road ?? etc etc etc.

My GF (Thai) often comes home with tales of witnessed abuses of farangs quite upset about it, the 'why they do like that' thing.. Now if its noticeable enough for a Thai to see it, and actually complain about and register that its too far, then its fairly extreme.

I just put it down to too much over crowding and too many people chasing the get rich quick dream. that I dont blame them, breaking in my house and stealing my stuff.. Well that I do.

Firstly, from your reply I will assume that you are happy to agree that most of us would go to most countries and have problems being treated as a local and would get over charged as par for the course. The sooner people get the notion out of their head that Phuket/Thailand isn't the only place or even close to being the worst, the better. We have two threads crossing over here so I will leave the over charging element for the other one. That leads us to the other behavior you described, and this is where I get confused. I'm not saying that these things don't happen at all, and obviously I don't condone them, I just find it hard to understand why, if they are so prevalent, that so many of us never see them at all. You would expect some people to experience more than others based on things such as lifestyle and location etc, but how some people can see so much and so many people manage to live such a trouble free life is beyond my comprehension. I might be wrong. but I'm fairly sure it was you in a thread a long time ago, that had one friend who was beaten up here, one who was beaten up there, one who had a gun put to his face, and the list went on and on. I remember thinking, 'I'm glad I'm not one of his friends' as it seemed as if it was only a matter of time before something bad would happen to me if I was. I realise you have probably spent more time in Phuket than me, but still proportionally you would think that I would have at least one bad story to tell as well.