Warning For Thai Women

TizMe

Mrs TizMe just told me that Page 1 headlines of todays ThaiRath newspaper is an article warning Thai women against marrying foreign, and in particular Swedish men.

It says that there is a high incidence of these women moving to the foreigners country and being kept as virtual slaves.

Mrs TizMe just told me that Page 1 headlines of todays ThaiRath newspaper is an article warning Thai women against marrying foreign, and in particular Swedish men.

It says that there is a high incidence of these women moving to the foreigners country and being kept as virtual slaves.

Verification anyone? :o

There are several Swede's who have built home's in my upcountry village. They visit quite often with their Thai wive's and kids. The ladies get their hair done in my wife's salon and if they are "slaves", they are happy "slaves". :o

Verification anyone? :o

Hope you can read thai.

http://thairath.com/thairath1/2548/page1/apr/02/p1_1.php

Has Lars read this thread?...

I would imagine it's possible and that the ones that do return here as couples on visits to their upcountry homes are nice guys... and decent husbands. But what about the couples we don't see back in Thailand... that stay in Sweden. We may see the occasional couple back here in Thailand... but what percentage is that of the total number that get married? I'm sure it DOES happen and certainly it's not exclusive to Sweden.

Out of curiosity, for Thai-language readers here, is there any reference in article to the recent Swede killing in Pattaya? Is that the impetance for printing this one-sided story?

Has Lars read this thread?...

I would imagine it's possible and that the ones that do return here as couples on visits to their upcountry homes are nice guys... and decent husbands. But what about the couples we don't see back in Thailand... that stay in Sweden. We may see the occasional couple back here in Thailand... but what percentage is that of the total number that get married? I'm sure it DOES happen and certainly it's not exclusive to Sweden.

My wife says a few of her friends that are "stuck" in Sweden and Germany are made to work very hard for the family they live with. The farangs treat them as house staff and not a member of the family. They speak bad about her friends as well. I would assume that is not the case all the time but just a couple of known cases regarding this subject.

Out of curiosity, for Thai-language readers here, is there any reference in article to the recent Swede killing in Pattaya? Is that the impetance for printing this one-sided story?

Nope, no mention of anything else, just a description of what many of these women go through.

My wife says a few of her friends that are "stuck" in Sweden and Germany are made to work very hard for the family they live with.  The farangs treat them as house staff and not a member of the family.  They speak bad about her friends as well.  I would assume that is not the case all the time but just a couple of known cases regarding this subject.

This is pretty much what the article is about. I'll see if I can get a few key points translated for you guys.. :o

If this is true The more frightening thing is that the news paper staff is ignorant enough to put out such an article.

They forgot to give fair time to the Thais that sell their children into sex. Or the women that are tied to their beds and gang raped by brothers and other friends and family.

My wifes aunt was raped on practically a daily basis while working in the rice fields by neighbors and some family for years. With no help from anyone. I'm sure it was an isolated case!!!

Evil is evil. Its the same in the US, Europe, Africa or anywhere else. The weak and ignorant are always exploited as much as possible.

Again shame on this newspaper for blatent ignorance and bias. Again, the truth never did sell newspapers.

There are many observations I have made and other things I have heard over the years in relation to Thai males. However I will not comment on these things right now.

All I can say is, "Amazing Thailand."

I'll always love it despite the politicians and BS... :D

PS: I thought I was the slave. :D

Actually getting ready for the seventh anniversery of friendship, in a marriage with the most beautiful and incredible woman I've known... :o

First paragraph:

"Nowadays there are many Thai women who have married farangs in hopes for a higher standard of living and that they will have money to support their families as well. However, in reality it might not turn out that way. Most women who marry farangs and go live with them in their country before long end up being used, such as being virtual household slaves, while the money isn't as was expected. Eventually when their husbands are bored with them, they are cold-heartedly abandoned. This behavior is found mostly in Sweden, which is the country that has the most Thai women marrying foreigners."

That's all I could get out before my phone rang, now I have to help a friend in need, to be continued later! :o

Nope, no mention of anything else, just a description of what many of these women go through.

My wife says a few of her friends that are "stuck" in Sweden and Germany are made to work very hard for the family they live with.  The farangs treat them as house staff and not a member of the family.  They speak bad about her friends as well.  I would assume that is not the case all the time but just a couple of known cases regarding this subject.

This is pretty much what the article is about. I'll see if I can get a few key points translated for you guys.. :o

Again the problem is ignorance. If these women would go to the authorities for protection their situation could improve.

It is very popular amoung the police in Europe and the US to atleast give the guise of protecting those who can't protect themselves.

They could come back to Thailand and possible sue in a civil court as well

First paragraph:

"Nowadays there are many Thai women who have married farangs in hopes for a higher standard of living and that they will have money to support their families as well. However, in reality it might not turn out that way. Most women who marry farangs and go live with them in their country before long end up being used, such as being virtual household slaves, while the money isn't as was expected. Eventually when their husbands are bored with them, they are cold-heartedly abandoned. This behavior is found mostly in Sweden, which is the country that has the most Thai women marrying foreigners."

That's all I could get out before my phone rang, now I have to help a friend in need, to be continued later!  :o

Is this friend married to a evil farang... :D

Alright, me back. :o

Here's a quick translation of the article (in simple, informal language):

Warning to Thai ladies: if you get a farang husband, beware – you might end up shedding a lot of tears

Nowadays there are many Thai women who have married foreigners in hopes for a higher standard of living and that they will have money to support their families as well. However, in reality it might not turn out that way. Most women who marry foreigners and go live with them in their country before long end up being used, such as being virtual household slaves, while the money isn't as was expected. Eventually when their husbands are bored with them, they are cold-heartedly abandoned. This behavior is found mostly in Sweden, which is the country that has the most Thai women marrying foreigners.

The reason more Thai women are marrying Swedes is because there is a Swedish guy living in Thailand who has set up an Internet matchmaking service. Interested Thai ladies have to pay 3,000-3,500baht to post their profiles and photos, as well as another 3,000-3,500baht when they are contacted. Of the approximately 2,000 Thais living in Sweden in the year 2003, about 80% are women, and met their husbands when they came to Thailand as a tourist.

The Thai embassy in Stockholm currently receives phone calls from many Thai women, all having similar problems, that is being used as virtual slaves by their husbands and husband's family, and being neglected for weeks.

Many of them have to take their children and escape to a shelter for women in order to request assistance getting back to Thailand. All 22 shelters in Sweden have had numerous cases like this in the past 2 years, and in some cases the same man had brought them into the country.

Most of these women are from the Northeastern provinces, as they are not highly educated and don't know much English or the local language, therefore having to depend on their husbands. When they are abandoned, it is very difficult for them. Therefore, we'd like to warn all Thai women who want to marry foreigners to do some verification and think very carefully before deciding to go live abroad.

Oh, and I'll repost the Thairath link here again, just in case anybody wants to read the original Thai text. :D

Edited by siamesekitty

Me as a faran and married more than 20 years with a Thai lady. Have to learn my wife 20 years ago she can do same as other ladies here in the Netherlands and not to do as an "slave". Why her family learn here those crazy things to do?

:o

Thank you, Kitty. I was just wondering what prompted them to single Sweden out in particular... as I've not ever really seen any type of "Swedish backlash" anywhere at anytime from any source before... I think their reputation is fairly high around the world...

Thank you for your kind assistance, Kitty... :D

T

First paragraph:

That's all I could get out before my phone rang, now I have to help a friend in need, to be continued later!  :D

Thanks Kitty. It certainly lost credibility when they used "most women who...".

I'm sure it does occur, but I doubt it's most.... and why "mostly in Sweden".. ?

:o

Alright, me back.  :o

Here's a quick translation of the article (in simple, informal language):

Warning to Thai ladies: if you get a farang husband, beware – you might end up shedding a lot of tears

Nowadays there are many Thai women who have married foreigners in hopes for a higher standard of living and that they will have money to support their families as well. However, in reality it might not turn out that way. Most women who marry foreigners and go live with them in their country before long end up being used, such as being virtual household slaves, while the money isn't as was expected. Eventually when their husbands are bored with them, they are cold-heartedly abandoned. This behavior is found mostly in Sweden, which is the country that has the most Thai women marrying foreigners.

The reason more Thai women are marrying Swedes is because there is a Swedish guy living in Thailand who has set up an Internet matchmaking service. Interested Thai ladies have to pay 3,000-3,500baht to post their profiles and photos, as well as another 3,000-3,500baht when they are contacted. Of the approximately 2,000 Thais living in Sweden in the year 2003, about 80% are women, and met their husbands when they came to Thailand as a tourist.

The Thai embassy in Stockholm currently receives phone calls from many Thai women, all having similar problems, that is being used as virtual slaves by their husbands and husband's family, and being neglected for weeks.

Many of them have to take their children and escape to a shelter for women in order to request assistance getting back to Thailand. All 22 shelters in Sweden have had numerous cases like this in the past 2 years, and in some cases the same man had brought them into the country.

Most of these women are from the Northeastern provinces, as they are not highly educated and don't know much English or the local language, therefore having to depend on their husbands. When they are abandoned, it is very difficult for them. Therefore, we'd like to warn all Thai women who want to marry foreigners to do some verification and think very carefully before deciding to go live abroad.

Oh, and I'll repost the Thairath link here again, just in case anybody wants to read the original Thai text. :D

Thank you Kitty... You get a Gold Star for today!! :D

Hard to decipher fact from fiction in this story. Some things could easily be verified I think, eg. number of requests for help to the Thai Embassy, etc.

More in-depth reporting, investigating is needed.

My pleasure.. :D

Yes, I also agree that the story does not sound very credible, using the word "most" quite often throughout the whole story.

Actually, I had left out the first sentence of the article, which mentions that this information was from someone at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

ผู้สื่อข่าวรายงานเมื่อวันที่ 1 เม.ย. ว่า จากการเปิดเผยของนายนิยม วัฒน์ธรรมาวุธ ผอ.กองคุ้มครองและดูแลผลประโยชน์คนไทยในต่างประเทศ กรมการกงสุล กระทรวงการต่างประเทศ ว่า....

It really sounds like the reporter is simply repeating what was told to him/her by this one person, and it ended up sounding very much like a generalization. (That awful concept that often pops up in ThaiVisa forum! :o)

Edited by RDN

My pleasure..  :D

Yes, I also agree that the story does not sound very credible, using the word "most" quite often throughout the whole story.

Actually, I had left out the first sentence of the article, which mentions that this information was from someone at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

ผู้สื่อข่าวรายงานเมื่อวันที่ 1 เม.ย. ว่า จากการเปิดเผยของนายนิยม วัฒน์ธรรมาวุธ ผอ.กองคุ้มครองและดูแลผลประโยชน์คนไทยในต่างประเทศ กรมการกงสุล กระทรวงการต่างประเทศ ว่า....

It really sounds like the reporter is simply repeating what was told to him/her by this one person, and it ended up sounding very much like a generalization. (That dirty word that often pops up in ThaiVisa forum! :o)

So why did you still not translate the first few words?

ผู้สื่อข่าวรายงานเมื่อวันที่ 1 เม.ย. ว่า ...
"Journalist's report on 1st April"

Maybe someone has a sense of humour?