Is It True That Hom Mali Rice Isn't Hom Anymore ?

bow

A couple of years ago we always got this very nice sweet smell of Hom Mali rice when we (that is, my wife) cooked it.

These days we don't get this typical Hom Mali (Jasmine) smell.

I went to Central and bought the most expensive Hom Mali rice I could find, but I still didn't get the same sweet smell.

Am I imagining things ? (If I am crazy, could you please be gentle on me.)

A couple of years ago we always got this very nice sweet smell of Hom Mali rice when we (that is, my wife) cooked it.

I went to Central and bought the most expensive Hom Mali rice I could find, but I still didn't get the same sweet smell.

Bow,

Yes, I think you’re imagining things.....like the other night I drunk a bottle of Loa-koa and I felt it had no affect on me.

Try again at the end of this month as there will be a flood of new Hom-Mali arriving to markets.

How do you cook it?

Electric, Gas, charcoal, aluminum. Stainless, bamboo?

What does Central refer too I’m assuming one thing But maybe I’m wrong.

regards

C-sip

Well, there is the problem due to heavy government subsidies, cheap Vietnamese and Burmese Qualities have been imported and mixed with the crop, hence a drop in Quality!

As well as it has been publicized that due to efforts having larger crops quality dropped as well... figure it!

Bow,

Yes, I think you’re imagining things.....like the other night I drunk a bottle of Loa-koa and I felt it had no affect on me.

Try again at the end of this month as there will be a flood of new Hom-Mali arriving to markets.

How do you cook it?

Electric, Gas, charcoal, aluminum. Stainless, bamboo?

What does Central refer too I’m assuming one thing But maybe I’m wrong.

regards

C-sip

Central is a supermarket chain

Here's the SP from my sister-in-law. Our rice isn't as fragrant as it was a few years ago owing to cross-pollination with strains which are not Khao Hom Mali. I guess we, too, have bought imported seed without thinking about it hard enough. I think it is next year when Asean free trade will allow millers to mix Vietnamese rice with ours and they will sell it as KHM. I thought, briefly, of exploiting the USP of growing and marketing our own fragrant rice but we [s-i-L & me] guess it cannot work as, again, cross-pollination from nearby fields would wreck the effort. Any thoughts by experts on the last point would be welcome.

I expect Thai rice prices to fall to the same as Viet prices soon. Make it easier to export but wondering what effect that will have on the price the chao nah gets. My guess is - less.

Yields have been pretty average so far with Khao Bhao and the start of the main crop. I liked a comment read recently that going for quality could be a good policy but then one is always at the mercy of the merchants for price. Understand they will also be trousering our price guarantee money after divvi-ing up with those who arranged it that way.

Thoughts?

trousering our price guarantee money after divvi-ing up with those who arranged it that way.

One of the really ugly points of the patronage system combined with corrupt officials, no chance, but feeding the

unproductive lot - unless this is rooted out - there will be no way out, even competition, invention, riasingtop crops

doesn't make sense - this is the largest stumbling block to progress!

Strict "Hands off" policies, but then who is going to implement them? :)

If it's not too late, this may be a good time to save some pure rice seed stock. Surely the universities and Agriculture Ministry would have samples of the genetically pure crop.

There will always be a market for quality. There needs to be a designated area for quality crop.

Here's the SP from my sister-in-law. Our rice isn't as fragrant as it was a few years ago owing to cross-pollination with strains which are not Khao Hom Mali. I guess we, too, have bought imported seed without thinking about it hard enough. I think it is next year when Asean free trade will allow millers to mix Vietnamese rice with ours and they will sell it as KHM. I thought, briefly, of exploiting the USP of growing and marketing our own fragrant rice but we [s-i-L & me] guess it cannot work as, again, cross-pollination from nearby fields would wreck the effort. Any thoughts by experts on the last point would be welcome.

I expect Thai rice prices to fall to the same as Viet prices soon. Make it easier to export but wondering what effect that will have on the price the chao nah gets. My guess is - less.

Yields have been pretty average so far with Khao Bhao and the start of the main crop. I liked a comment read recently that going for quality could be a good policy but then one is always at the mercy of the merchants for price. Understand they will also be trousering our price guarantee money after divvi-ing up with those who arranged it that way.

Thoughts?

Thoughts chai,

Can you ga-ru-nar explain owing to cross-pollination with strains……bit, what went wrong?

And then you say that we have bought imported seeds “sia-jai don’t understand why”.

You must know a lot more on this subject because we stupid Isaan farmers in the out skirts of Roi-et just used the seeds from last year’s harvest, been doing this since Great Grandparents past the seeds to Grand Farther, but then unfortunately when he wasn’t watching Grand Mother used them to pay a gambling debt. “so the story goes”

When the Son came back from working in Bangkok reclaimed the bags of seeds would you believe in a (high-so) Chicken fight, but then proceeded in his smugness to feed the chicken with a hand-full of Great Grandfathers seed each day.

This caused a fight between Sister and Brother but then I married the Sister and had a Son which needed to be feed so we decided to buy the remaining seed from her Brother and plant the seeds so I can honestly say that still after our ten years of planting Khoa-Hom-Mali, it is still Khoa-Hom-Mali, with fragrant and taste to match.

Chan-mai-sarb Euca, you sound like an expert on Khao would love to learn some more.

Regards

C-sip.

The culprit is GREED, plain and simple. Mix in inferior grades to produce a few more baht to the mill. The farmer isn't doing it. He still is screwed daily by the mills and middle men. Thailand is non-competitive with Vietnam, Phillipines, The only thing keeping the poor farmers going is the price supports and buy by government programs.

I am from Louisiana, Jassman is not Jasmine but better and cheaper to produce. Instead of adopting western agricultural protocals, the Thai, EXPERTS, just cry foul as they follow the Quai and plant one crop.