I Think The Aag (asia-america Gateway) Is Live....?

somefellow

I believe the AAG may be live, doing traceroutes on a TRUE line, they appear to go straight from singapore to LA. I dont know how this could happen without the AAG.

Does anyone agree?

12 sg-icr-anc2-26-214.trueinternetg (122.144.26.214 ): 256ms 264ms 255ms

13 vlan548.icore1.s9u-singapore.as6 (116.0.83.57 ): 241ms 231ms 242ms

14 vlan1146.icore2.laa-losangeles.a (116.0.83.34 ): 249ms 236ms 237ms

I tried a few tracert to US sites.

8 106 ms 54 ms 54 ms if-0-0-7.core2.s9r-singapore.as6453.net [209.58.96.13]

9 241 ms 240 ms 290 ms if-15-0-0-991.mcore3.PDI-PaloAlto.as6453.net [216.6.29.97]

And My ping times have dropped to the low 2xxms from the low 4xxms

I am using TTT Priemer 3mb in Chiang Mai

I believe the AAG may be live, doing traceroutes on a TRUE line, they appear to go straight from singapore to LA. I dont know how this could happen without the AAG.

Does anyone agree?

12 sg-icr-anc2-26-214.trueinternetg (122.144.26.214 ): 256ms 264ms 255ms

13 vlan548.icore1.s9u-singapore.as6 (116.0.83.57 ): 241ms 231ms 242ms

14 vlan1146.icore2.laa-losangeles.a (116.0.83.34 ): 249ms 236ms 237ms

Thanks for the info. I think your true connection might be using AAG. My TOT account traceroutes like Lordfoul. That palo alto IP address is supposed to be in Montreal Canada which seems weird. Just a few days ago I was tracerouting singapore to Japan and then west coast.

Somefellow did you see your speeds increase or ping times improve?

The only thing I wonder is the AAG makes ground in Guam and Hawaii so curious if we would see hops there or maybe not. If we see Guam then I would say 100% AAG.

Anyone else have any input?

Tominbkk what is RS?

Recently my TTT account got upgraded over to TOT gold and its been quick. Sometimes up to 3.5 mb download from the US. I am keeping my fingers crossed its not just a new router they put me that will fill up later.

here is my traceroute. TOT cyber gold 4 mb. Chiang Mai

203.190.251.45 (203.190.251.45) 77.361 ms 79.347 ms 75.774 ms

if-13-1.core2.s9r-singapore.as6453.net (209.58.96.45) 190.417 ms 190.545 ms *

if-13-0-0-995.mcore4.pdi-paloalto.as6453.net (216.6.86.49) 373.346 ms 366.803 ms 366.643 ms

* if-1-0-0.core1.s00-seattle.as6453.net (207.45.196.66) 384.037 ms 384.694

does anyone know the significance of core1, core2, mcore etc in the naming scheme.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

I have in fact noticed a drop in my ping times and increase in maximum download speeds using true. A speedtest to texas today was 5.8 mb/s, the fastest i've ever seen on this line.

I also have a csloxinfo line, which appears to be routing through europe and shows no change in ping or speed.

Thanks for the info. I think your true connection might be using AAG. My TOT account traceroutes like Lordfoul. That palo alto IP address is supposed to be in Montreal Canada which seems weird. Just a few days ago I was tracerouting singapore to Japan and then west coast.

The only thing I wonder is the AAG makes ground in Guam and Hawaii so curious if we would see hops there or maybe not. If we see Guam then I would say 100% AAG.

AAG is routed through HongKong, Phillipines, Guam and Hawaii so I would think that it is likely that you would see some of these terminals doing a traceroute.

The speed increases seen lately could also be down to the fact that some of the cables damaged during the recent hurricane in the Phillipines are only just being repaired and coming back online.

I think it's live.

My TOT connection has been at the advertised 3Mbit for a while now (even before the AAG went live) and my ping times are still > 300 on TOT. So I think it's all going over the old lines still.

But one thing now happened that has not happened for years: YouTube is fast! I can access YouTube videos on TOT at over 100KB/s. That's a huge difference from before when YouTube was severely throttled down to an unusable 7KB/s or so.

So I think vast new international bandwidth has been added, and throttles have been removed as a result (even if still using the old lines)

Follow-up: YouTube on my CAT 4Mbit consumer line is also, for the first time since I got this line, usable. Before it was stuttering along at something like 5KB/s. Now it's a bit up and down from 250KB to 30KB but it works just fine, movies play instantly.

AAG is routed through HongKong, Phillipines, Guam and Hawaii so I would think that it is likely that you would see some of these terminals doing a traceroute.

The speed increases seen lately could also be down to the fact that some of the cables damaged during the recent hurricane in the Phillipines are only just being repaired and coming back online.

True that I'd feel more confident if guam, hawaii were shown, however, nothing is shown between singapore and los angeles. There's no direct link between the two, so it's going somewhere and just not showing additional hops... it seems the time between the singapore and the LA link is quite short.

Does anyone agree?

Holy heck, you are right by the looks of it - see the ping times here to the USA and UK

605737676.png

605739459.png

Traceroute will only shows details if it goes through equipment at Level 3 on the IP stack, there could and probably is numerous routers/switches the operate at Level 1/2 that will not show on traceroutes, heck in theory it could be processed/switched at the moon (or the UK) and back between Singapore. and LA. eg. today I could buy a tunnel from London to any major city in America (east or west) with a SLA for latency/packet-loss from some of transit providers, that will show as one hop on level3, however it will pass through many cities and maybe even another network,

joncl, I think there is something up with your stats, possibly proxy (transparent maybe) involved as ping times should be much higher than that even at light speed.

Edited by mattcodes

joncl, I think there is something up with your stats, possibly proxy (transparent maybe) involved as ping times should be much higher than that even at light speed.

Let's see... 12,794km / 300 000 km/s = 0.0426466667s or 42ms. So it seems joncs connections is operating at exactly the speed of light... rather unlikely of course.

My pings are as bad as before so I'd guess CAT and TOT are not routing over the AAG yet, but are benefiting from freed up bandwidth...

Let's see... 12,794km / 300 000 km/s = 0.0426466667s or 42ms. So it seems joncs connections is operating at exactly the speed of light... rather unlikely of course.

My pings are as bad as before so I'd guess CAT and TOT are not routing over the AAG yet, but are benefiting from freed up bandwidth...

I was in Pattaya today and tried on a TOT 1mbis line and it was about 241msec to google.co.uk and google.com.

Now I just walked back in the door here in BKK and tried my link to the USA again and here is the result,

606088116.png

Maybe True have put a proxy on some of us BKK users, but I am not complaining about the speed to the USA seems this is only a 4mbis line. I download the slingmedia update from the US this morning at 600k - 700k dload, so thanks True.

Im getting bizarre ping results also.... 59 ms from bkk to austin, texas... ????

Something wrong with the protocol, or how they're calculating it?

I will say though that I am getting better speeds than before on true and it's holding up...

Edited by somefellow

. BTW, the maximum download rate of a 4Mbps connection is around 3.50 Mb/s (450 KB/s).

Exactly the reason I made the comment and the thanks to True, see the speeds (the last post shows a slightly slower speed as we are now in peak time).

Maybe we need some other BKK based True users to try the sites I did above and see what they get from speedtest.net

Im getting bizarre ping results also.... 59 ms from bkk to austin, texas... ????

Something wrong with the protocol, or how they're calculating it?

I will say though that I am getting better speeds than before on true and it's holding up...

Does this help at all?

Check the class A/B IP range you are connecting to at the True DSLAM, as I have found;

56.x.x.x, 6x.x.x.x, 115.x.x.x & 117.x.x.x are real slow (normal speed)

124.120.x.x & 124.122.x.x (lightening fast)

Traceroute will only shows details if it goes through equipment at Level 3 on the IP stack, there could and probably is numerous routers/switches the operate at Level 1/2 that will not show on traceroutes, heck in theory it could be processed/switched at the moon (or the UK) and back between Singapore. and LA. eg. today I could buy a tunnel from London to any major city in America (east or west) with a SLA for latency/packet-loss from some of transit providers, that will show as one hop on level3, however it will pass through many cities and maybe even another network,

That's good info matt. Thanks. Anybody out there with additional networking info? Is it possible to discover routing information? BGP info maybe?

I think my TOT must be using the AAG now. Just curious about the specifics. It sure is nice to get 3.5 mb to the US during part of the day.

I seem to bottom out around 9 pm each night with only about .3 mb and during most of the day it fluctuates between 1 to 2.5 mb. From midnight to noon am getting upwards of 3 mb. This is for a TOT 4 mb account in Chiang and measuring with speedtest to Seattle.

I seem to bottom out around 9 pm each night with only about .3 mb and during most of the day it fluctuates between 1 to 2.5 mb. From midnight to noon am getting upwards of 3 mb. This is for a TOT 4 mb account in Chiang and measuring with speedtest to Seattle.

I can confirm that with TOT. We are getting better speeds than before. There are no indications of AAG use though, pings are high as always. Got rather bad speeds yesterday afternoon on both CAT and TOT.

HA HA! You guys are all so funny with your high-tech assumptions.

What's really happened is all the kids have started school again and they're out of the internet gaming shops! It's Thailand's children who've freed up the bandwidth, not TTT/TOT/CAT/AAG/SLA/TRUE/SUCKS/ETC.

When will you learn? :)

HA HA! You guys are all so funny with your high-tech assumptions.

What's really happened is all the kids have started school again and they're out of the internet gaming shops! It's Thailand's children who've freed up the bandwidth, not TTT/TOT/CAT/AAG/SLA/TRUE/SUCKS/ETC.

When will you learn? :)

you are not wrong thank buddha school holidays are finished and they all go back monday morning.