Chiang Mai To Mae Hong Son Motorcycle Trip

mnbcm

I'm planning a motorcycle trip with some visiting buddies. How long does it take to get to Mae Hong Son via Pai? Google says 5 hours but I don't trust Google.

Are there any must see waterfalls along the way? This will be an adventurous group that enjoys swimming and jumping in and around waterfalls regardless of water temperature :)

Anyone been to Pha Suea National Park north of Mae Hong Son?

Thanks!

I'm planning a motorcycle trip with some visiting buddies. How long does it take to get to Mae Hong Son via Pai? Google says 5 hours but I don't trust Google.

Are there any must see waterfalls along the way? This will be an adventurous group that enjoys swimming and jumping in and around waterfalls regardless of water temperature :)

Thanks!

I would not try so fast on Mt rds maybe in a big powerful 4x4

Whynot stop over in Pai and enjoy the views at a relaxed pace over 2 sessions

Its a veeery windy MT circuit

Bon Voyage

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Thanks!

Mok Fa Waterfall for starters. It's a few dozen kilometers west of Mae Taeng on the way to Pai. It's a national park so be ready to pay dearly for the privilage.

What bikes will your group be riding? Makes a big difference since the route to Mae Hong Son has over a thousand turns and there are numerous elevation changes.

Mok Fa Waterfall for starters. It's a few dozen kilometers west of Mae Taeng on the way to Pai. It's a national park so be ready to pay dearly for the privilage.

What bikes will your group be riding? Makes a big difference since the route to Mae Hong Son has over a thousand turns and there are numerous elevation changes.

I went down to Mae Sot on a Honda 750? last time and came back up to Doi Inthanon. That was a nice ride, but I'm told the Steed is a more comfortable ride so I might go with one of those this time.

Thanks!

I drive the route regularly (in a well-powered vehicle). Chiang Mai to Pai is minimum 2.5 hours, and on a small bike would be 3.5 hours. On a powerful bike probably 2.5 - 3.0 hours. Pai to MHS is less, around 2 hours. So total driving time is 5 hours + any stops.

I drive the route regularly (in a well-powered vehicle). Chiang Mai to Pai is minimum 2.5 hours, and on a small bike would be 3.5 hours. On a powerful bike probably 2.5 - 3.0 hours. Pai to MHS is less, around 2 hours. So total driving time is 5 hours + any stops.

Thanks!

It takes about the same time from CM to Pai, as it does Pai to MHS - around 3 hours. However, in my opinion the Pai to MHS stretch is much more beautiful, and more fun to drive.

Of course if you start venturing off the main route and exploring the villages, dirt tracks, waterfalls, caves, etc... it adds to the journey time. I didn't plan anything, just went where the wind took me, and that was great for me.

The last leg of the loop, from MHS to Doi Inthanon to CM takes about 6 - 7 hours.

I did the loop last June over 6 days on my 200cc Suzuki, which handled it comfortably.

It is indeed a great road trip. Some incredible scenery. I've got some pictures, I'll see if I can dig them out.

Edited by keo

mork fa waterfall entarnce fee is 50baht with 20baht for parking, i just went there a few days ago.

the coffee shop at the entrnce ust of the highway 1095 on the right hand side has a biblical iced expresso. that should liven you up for the ride to MHS.

riding time for me was 3 hours flat on a ninja zx10-r. although i wouldnt reccomend driving that speed i was a bit loose when i did that a few years ago. take it steady, and 4-5 hours with a few stops should be all you need.

have fun!

The Mae Hong Son road is awesome; ride it every year.

Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son is 280km. Pai to Mae Hong Son is about 110km.

There is another NP after Pai called Huai Nam Dang and has an incredible viewpoint.

Its a beautiful trip, take your time and get the most out of it.