Medical Insurance

Just? Like today? Saturday?

Or yesterday April Fools day?

Not on what immigration site? They have been down for last two days.

Would sound like a reasonable next step however as many countries do seem to require health insurance for retirement type stay.

Just?  Like today?  Saturday?

Or yesterday April Fools day?

Not on what immigration site?  They have been down for last two days.

Would sound like a reasonable next step however as many countries do seem to require health insurance for retirement type stay.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't been able to get to the immigration web site :o .

This sounds like a good idea anyway even if it is not a requirement - currently - for an O-A. The current medical certificate is a bit of a joke.

The following is a copy of an email from Thai embassy NZ dated 31 March

You do not need a bank account in Thailand in order to obtain the Non-immigrant O-A (Retired long stay) visa.

However, you will need to produce your bank statement from NZ, and evidence of at least NZD$2500 per month for the time that you intend to stay. The Baht amounts are on our website, you will need the dollar equivalent amount.

The evidence should be a letter from the bank.

You will also need full health insurance cover &c.

Please call directly to the Visa officer for further enquiries or to arrange a meeting.

It would seem insurance is now a requirement, have yet to define FULL

The following is a copy of an email from Thai embassy NZ dated 31 March

You do not need a bank account in Thailand in order to obtain the Non-immigrant O-A (Retired long stay) visa.

However, you will need to produce your bank statement from NZ, and evidence of at least NZD$2500 per month for the time that you intend to stay. The Baht amounts are on our website, you will need the dollar equivalent amount.

The evidence should be a letter from the bank.

You will also need full health insurance cover &c.

Please call directly to the Visa officer for further enquiries or to arrange a meeting.

It would seem insurance is now a requirement, have yet to define FULL

This is from their web site, here: http://www.thaiembassynz.org.nz/Visa/retired_visa.htm

~Non-Immigrant Visa (Retired)~

This type of visa is issued to applicants aged 50 years or above wishing to reside in the Kingdom of Thailand for a period of at least one year is not permitted work in Thailand..

Criteria of Applicant

1. A foreign national aged 50 years or above (on date of submitting application).

2. Having no criminal record against the security of Thailand and country of his/her nationality, or country of his/her residence.

3. Having the nationality of or residence in the country where application is submitted.

4. Not having prohibitive diseases (Leprosy, Tuberculosis, Drug Addiction, Elephantiasis and Third step of Syphilis).

Required Documents

1. 3 Complete Visa Application Forms

2. Passport or travel document valid for at least 6 months from expected date of travel.

3. Three recent passport size photographs

4. A personal Data Form

5. A copy of bank statement showing a deposit not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (original copy) showing monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. In case of the bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank (original copy) is to be shown as well.

6. Criminal Record Verification of applicant issued by the country of nationality or residence (verification shall not be older three months and notarized by notary organs or applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission).

7. Medical certificate issued from the country where the application is  submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases (the certificate shall not be  older than three months and notarized by notary organs or applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission).

8. In case applicant wishes to bring along spouse but the spouse is not qualified for the “O-A” visa, a marriage certificate shall also be presented and notarized by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic/consular mission. (Spouse will be considered for temporary stay under category “O”).

Processing time: around one month.

Validity of Visa

Visa must be utilized within 3 months from date of issue.

Validity of Stay

Permission to stay in the Kingdom will be granted for one year upon arrival in the Kingdom.

Extension

Upon expiry date of such period, one year extensions maybe granted as long as the applicant meets the above requirements.

Fee

Visa fee is NZ$ 250.

No mention of health insurance. In fact, looks exactly the same as the London Thai Embassy requirements - except the cost was 15 quid when I got mine :o .

Yep RDN seen their site however also have the email from last week

I have an appointment with the visa officer later this month so will find out then if they insist on insurance.

Seems to me if they do I am in a poor position to argue.

I was intending to get health insurance on arrival in LOS, don't know how I will get on if I want to use a Thai company.

I am moving to Thailand in July and was wondering if anyone has information about where to purhcase medical insurance if you are over 65?

There are several companies like BUPA, Royal Sun & Alliance, etc who can offer

medical cover to expats in Thailand at age 65.

It is after 70 that it gets more difficult.

I have an appointment with the visa officer later this month so will find out then if they insist on insurance.

Seems to me if they do I am in a poor position to argue.

I was intending to get health insurance on arrival in LOS, don't know how I will get on if I want to use a Thai company.

If you can get yourself a Gold Visa Card from NZ, that will automaticlly give you 6 months travel/medical insurance if you pay your ticket with your card. :o

I have an appointment with the visa officer later this month so will find out then if they insist on insurance....

Maybe the "visa officer" will know someone who can arrange said insurance :D , for a fee of course :o . I'm sure lots of us will be interested in what happens :D .

You can get insurance with Bupa Thailand at a fraction of the rate of BUPA international, though the service reflects this cheap rate.

The point of my post is that they ask for no documentation at all, just an address in Thailand. 25,000ish baht got me Platinum cover, with very acceptable levels of cover.

Maybe this could be a way for you to go.

You can get insurance with Bupa Thailand at a fraction of the rate of BUPA international, though the service reflects this cheap rate.

The point of my post is that they ask for no documentation at all, just an address in Thailand. 25,000ish baht got me Platinum cover, with very acceptable levels of cover.

Maybe this could be a way for you to go.

Thanks for the information. I will contact them today.