Chiang Mai Surin, How To Fly? Elephant Fair

THAIPHUKET

Want to go from CM to Surin what is the most efficient route? Wife swears Surin has airport. Google = no result.

Daughter flying in from Europe will join from Bkk, most comfy transport? TIme?

ELephant festival=

seat reservations for 500/1000b, worth it? Difference? Toilets usable ? In reach?

Any other recommendations for the festival ?

Want to go from CM to Surin what is the most efficient route? Wife swears Surin has airport. Google = no result.

Daughter flying in from Europe will join from Bkk, most comfy transport? TIme?

ELephant festival=

seat reservations for 500/1000b, worth it? Difference? Toilets usable ? In reach?

Any other recommendations for the festival ?

So many questions :)

1) CM to Surin. By Air you must do CM to BKK then BKK to BFV (which is Satuk,Buriram on PBAir) and then about an hours drive to Surin. Suggest you prebook PBAir as there has been recent talk of operations stopping??

2) Surin airport has not been in operation for a number of years. It may re-open next year.

3) PBAir flight takes 35minutes plus transport then to Surin or 7 hours in coach/train or 5 hours in taxi/car from Bangkok.

4) Elephant Festival. Hope you have booked hotel rooms(if Needed??) Take a cushion as you sit on concrete and get an 'inflight' type packed lunch/drink. Plenty of clean toilets within the stands for booked seats.

I hope you enjoy it as its definetly worth seeing.

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

I did this trip last year. The only flights to the area are on PB Air from Bangkok to Buriram.

However, there is a VIP bus that goes there from Chiang Mai. I think that it's Nakonchai Air. It's about a 12 hour bus journey.

Yes the NCA Bus is a 13hour trip VIP about 930bt each way. I drive it in about 12 hours. Yes there is an airport in Surin but is not open yet for commercial traffic they are talking about moving operation from Buriram to Surin but at the present only DUMBO THE FLYING ELEPHANT is allowed to use it.

I did this trip last year. The only flights to the area are on PB Air from Bangkok to Buriram.

However, there is a VIP bus that goes there from Chiang Mai. I think that it's Nakonchai Air. It's about a 12 hour bus journey.

Yes the NCA Bus is a 13hour trip VIP about 930bt each way. I drive it in about 12 hours. Yes there is an airport in Surin but is not open yet for commercial traffic they are talking about moving operation from Buriram to Surin but at the present only DUMBO THE FLYING ELEPHANT is allowed to use it.

Hi gotlost

Please dont think im picking holes,but where did you hear that the operation was moving from Buriram? I was under the impression that flights would go to both places?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/econom...zons-for-pb-air

Cheers

:)

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

Hi gotlost

Please dont think im picking holes,but where did you hear that the operation was moving from Buriram? I was under the impression that flights would go to both places?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/econom...zons-for-pb-air

Cheers

:)

Dave

I'll have to back but I saw it on the Isaan form.

Thanks for your input. Problem as one of you guessed is accommodation. Anyone with private room /s out there?

We are three, while wife and daughter can sleep on the floor I need bed and western toilet - bad leg the reason.

Happy to pay plus it might be actually much more fun too.

Thanks for your input. Problem as one of you guessed is accommodation. Anyone with private room /s out there?

We are three, while wife and daughter can sleep on the floor I need bed and western toilet - bad leg the reason.

Hi Thaiphuket

I know a Phillipino restaurant owner who has just opened a brand new hotel in Surin and not yet advertised. They may have vacancies still?

It look quite nice,too

www.theivory-residence-surin.com

Tel 044-714040

e-mail [email protected]

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

you could try this website

http://www.hotelsguidethailand.com/home/ho...mp;p=3&l=en

I live in Surin and there are a few on here i did not know about , hope it helps

and i think for sure this place may be able to help

http://whiteelephantresort.com/

Must be a vendetta against me. Once more for the thousandth time this year, no-one has mentioned the farang Connection, where we not only book hotels, seats for show and LIGHT AND SOUND SHOW, which also seems to have slipped peoples minds, but we pick up from drop off point, even if it is 04.30 in the morning. The Farang Connection is also open for breakfast at 05.00 on the festival days so long time travellers can get refreshment and if they do not want to pay for the night before, somewhere to rest up and leave their bags. Most people know this, it is only kept a secret to outsiders.

Bye the way, I do charge a small commision on bookings, as the years I have doneit for free, I have benn left with hotel rooms I have paid a deposit on, and tickets Icannot get a refund on. Last year 16 bookings didn't show. My guess is they booked with various other agencies as well. One Frenchman had thecheek to ask for his show tickets to be delivered to the Martine Hotel, when he had already booked SurinCountry Lodge with us. Another customer denied he had booked when he came in to hire a bike. I showed him a copy of his e-mail, and gave him the show tickets he had booked. he said he had tickets already. Spanish this one. in the end I was left only 8 tickets, and I got a refund on three,as he was the guy that had his wife put in hopital by an elephant that went on the rampage during the breakfast.

Edited by farangconnection

Hello FarangConnection,

no vendetta from me, actually I had some drinks at your place when we cruised Phuket-Isaan-Golden Triangle on my motorbike.

Didn't see a phone no on your web site to see what you can do. I need 2 comfy rooms for 3 adults Nov 21 arrival, 22 dep. plus tickets.

Happy to pay for your good service anytime

Pls PN me with what you can offer.

Hello FarangConnection,

no vendetta from me, actually I had some drinks at your place when we cruised Phuket-Isaan-Golden Triangle on my motorbike.

Didn't see a phone no on your web site to see what you can do. I need 2 comfy rooms for 3 adults Nov 21 arrival, 22 dep. plus tickets.

Happy to pay for your good service anytime

Pls PN me with what you can offer.

I know,i was only trying to wind dave the dude up. he didn't bite though.As most said there is a very good bus service between surin and chaing mai,although it might be full already. My last room at the maneroote was taken 5 minutes ago,(if I had checked Thai visa before my mail, well.......) but I can offer Jit Sawat for fan room or Sang Thong for air. Please mail me through my web site as I must record all bookings so I don't get in a muddle. It is very hard as I am in the cancer clinic 10 days a month, and this week bookings are coming through thick and fast. Most people want the Majestic, which has been fully booked for the festival since April. It could be like last year when I ended up with 167 bookings, of which 16 did not show. And to top it all, I must read on my own web-site then go to yahoo to answer.

I know,i was only trying to wind dave the dude up. he didn't bite though.

You need to try a bit harder then ! :D

As if you need anyone to plug your place, while you are about :D:D:D:)

I know that, I'm just making sure people do not use Thai web-sites to get to Surin. one which says, by an English travel writer, incidently, that the best way to get BKK-Surin is fly to Chiang Mai, then get a bus to Surin. Another offers flights to Surin for the elephant round up, but if you book with them you find yourselves on Surin beach, Phuket.

1. it is always fun to watch some local skirmishes going on. Spice to life :)

2. at least by phone found 2 rooms at the Ivory. Will confirm now, web site link doesn't work, hope however email does work. 1500 b. Thanks for hint , Dave the Dude! Thanks to everybody else. White Elephant was sold out,

3. Will now get in touch with farang con to see about tickets.

4. next time I will come again on my bike, I dont like cars. Rather enjoy fresh mixed with a healthy dosis of diesel.

5. last word= reservation at Ivory confirmed

Now that transport ( hiring Van in Bkk ) + accomodation a clear, next question if you dont mind=

1. show Nov 22 is in the morning, is it worth to stay on 1 extra night?

2. Invited some village people from Phayakhumpsai (??) to see for first time in their lives the show although the village is mere 80 km from Surin. What tickets would you get for them?

Can one buy cheaper than 500b tickets in advance so no qeueing is needed?

Now that transport ( hiring Van in Bkk ) + accomodation a clear, next question if you dont mind=

1. show Nov 22 is in the morning, is it worth to stay on 1 extra night?

2. Invited some village people from Phayakhumpsai (??) to see for first time in their lives the show although the village is mere 80 km from Surin. What tickets would you get for them?

Can one buy cheaper than 500b tickets in advance so no qeueing is needed?

Hi

1) show on 22nd is a repeat performance?? worth saying on? up to you there are plenty of other restaurants/bars/histerical sites to see around here. Nearly forgot, next to stadium is a sort of funfare/market each year.

2) Most Thais pay at the gate and get the 'cheap seats' which is standing room & bundling together with no shade. Its what they do. These can not be reserved as there is NO SEAT to reserve.

I've booked to GET OUT OF TOWN to a Bike Meet in Srisaket :)

Dave