Coconut

Shaun78

yes, they are available

some charges 20

others charge 25

higher end charges 50

several in phuket wants 100.... lol

and i normally pay only 9 baht for MA-PROUD-HORM (sweet coconuts).... the very best kind with most decent coconut juice inside.... yum yum

yes, they are available

some charges 20

others charge 25

higher end charges 50

several in phuket wants 100.... lol

and i normally pay only 9 baht for MA-PROUD-HORM (sweet coconuts).... the very best kind with most decent coconut juice inside.... yum yum

This July, I walked around patong, then bought a coconut from a street vender, she charged me 60B...but in my 4 star hotel, they only sell at 70B..

next time.... try to bargain and just say....

YEE-SIB-BAHT .... (means twenty baht).... lol

street vendors even in hatyai, trang, sadaw only asked for 20 baht.... for crying out loud.... lol

A SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE IN COCONUTS--the coconuts from normal coconut trees are a cheaper variety. the trees grow every where. most vendors would have access to only this cheap variety. whereas the other kind of coconut which local thais called MA-PROUD-HORM (sweet coconut) is harder to cultivate. its coconut appears to be sweeter and more tasty and therefore more difficult to find and more expensive to purchase....

next time ask the vendors, if they have MAR-PROUD-HORM (MEE MAR-PROUD-HORM, MAI? (do you have mar-proud-horm?)

who knows, you might be lucky....

on the other hands, knowing the street vendors, most probably will claim without shame that.... theirs are surely the distinguish mar-proud-horm.... lol

I love coconut.

And everything that has 'kra-te' (coconut milk) in it. :D

When in LOS, I would drink the juice from young coconut ( Thai = ma-praow-on ) or ma-praow-pow (smoked coconut) and finish the meat too.

My sis always stock up these coconuts because instead of drinking water, I'd drink coconut juice all day long.

You can buy them very cheap from the wet-market.

Whatever you do, never order the coconut from the high end hotels, if you do, expect to pay more than 22 times.

We learn our lesson. A few years back in around 2004, we ( 4 of us friends) were having lunch at Erawan Hyat Hotel. Silly me, when it was time to order a drink, I ordered 2 coconuts, that 2 coconuts alone costed 360 baht (2x180) :D while that morning the coconut I drank costed less than 8 baht ( bought at 2 for 15 ). :)

Last May I was paying 20 baht for a young coconut at the Thammasart campus, by Tha-Prajan pier.