Agency Selling Thai Airways Ticket Only To Thai People

aeon

The way to look at it is not that us Farang pay more, but that Thai companies understand that generally Thais have less money, so the Thai prices are discounted.

They just should present it differently ie everybody pays "X" baht, but if you are Thai we will discount or rebate you "Y" baht. The way they do it with the two tiered price structure that makes us think we are paying more and loses them business for sure.

The only thing I concern myself with is whether the price I have to pay is reasonable to me.

Nonsense - Thai airways is not a food stall in a market. It is a major business player and flagship for Thailand. Why should foreigners subsidise Thais in a business transaction like this? If Thais pay less then Thai airways has to recoup their loss by charging more to foreigners. If Thais paid the same then Thai Airways would not need to charge others so much.

One of the reasons most of us enjoy living here in Thailand is the dual pricing system which is quite simply that prices here are generally less than back home. If you are finding that you are not finding it cheaper to live here in Thailand then by all means feel free to return home. Otherwise, enjoy this beautiful land; it really is quite nice here...

Jeez it took almost 12 hours to get the "if you don't like it go home" guard to arrive.Thought they were too busy enjoying dual pricing. :)

Quite right, I like Thailand a lot but I dont like everything about it especially some of the idiot farrang that encourage Thai people to remain a third world country with their nonsense ideas such as encouraging the notion of 'cheat the farrang because you obviously cant make a living any other way.' How about as an alternative educating them that they can get much much richer by not scamming people? Probably too deep for the "if you dont like it go home brigade' poster.

I agree but have you ever tried 'educating' Thais in changing any of their ways? It's a no brainer and nonstarter so forget it. Just 'walk away' is my motto.

One of the reasons most of us enjoy living here in Thailand is the dual pricing system which is quite simply that prices here are generally less than back home. If you are finding that you are not finding it cheaper to live here in Thailand then by all means feel free to return home. Otherwise, enjoy this beautiful land; it really is quite nice here...

Jeez it took almost 12 hours to get the "if you don't like it go home" guard to arrive.Thought they were too busy enjoying dual pricing. :D

Buddha, grant me the serenity

To accept the things I cannot change

The courage to change the things I can

And the wisdom to know the difference!

Exactly :)

There's a pretty simple solution to this, a lot more effective than trying to complain about dual prices. Just don't fly Thai. They're a fairly second-rate outfit anyhow, and there's almost always an alternative. I gave up on them years ago and have never looked back.

If you make the big bucks who cares. Just pay it. Everything else is cheap.

You might not care but that's not the point. There are plenty of farang here (decent retirees among others) who don't make big bucks. Ask yourself, is dual pricing progressive or retrogressive? Elimination would simplify the system and close avenues for corruption.

Boycott Thai airways is one solution. And there must be travel agents sympathetic to the plight of the farang. If anyone has found any then please post details.

The dual pricing system is not, I am afraid, that prices are cheaper here than at home,that would be the ,it's cheaper here than at home pricing system.

The dual pricing system is the one where Thais are charged less than foreigners. This system annoys me, but not enough to make me go home, but thanks for letting me know that you are OK with me leaving if I want to.

I can confirm that TG also has this practise of a cheaper ticket for thais and and their relatives here in EU. It is usually an open 3 months ticket.

They sell it thru smaller travel agents owned by thais. As far as I know they don't sell it at the TG office. I think the discount is 20 to 30 percent on the AMADEUS price for a similar ticket. I have bought it some times when travelling with my Thai wife to Thailand.

But you can often find cheaper closed tickets with TG or other carriers so the deal is not always so good.

But the fact is that many thais prefer to travel directly with TG to Thailand because of language concerns. At least my wife is not willing to fly with a cheaper airline that don't fly nonstop to thailand when she is travelling alone.

I will not mention any names of travel agents as there is some controversy about this in EU.

Edited by martin81

I will not mention any names of travel agents as there is some controversy about this in EU.

Not so much controversy as a regulation that says companies should not do this. But this has only been in effect since November 1 2008.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUri...003:0020:EN:PDF

http://www.slaughterandmay.com/media/75927...06_nov_2008.pdf

Edited by citizen33