Houston Consulate Non-b Multi Application

Just submitted my passport for my 3rd successive Non-B multi in Houston. The price is now $175 and they also need a copy of your bank statements and takes 2 working days.

Oh yes, they are now on the 20th floor at 600 Travis (moved from 28th)

NL

Does Houston require other documents besides bank statements for the multi Non-B?

I emailed them about obtaining a multi Non-O (on the basis of visiting friends) and they replied back saying a triple entry tourist was the best they could do.

The Ministry is getting tough on them.

Does Houston require other documents besides bank statements for the multi Non-B?

I emailed them about obtaining a multi Non-O (on the basis of visiting friends) and they replied back saying a triple entry tourist was the best they could do.

A 'sponsoring' letter, either from the Thai entity you will be conducting business with or a letter from your employer stating you will be conducting business in Thailand on their behalf. That's all I had to submit these past 2 years but it does appear that things are changing in Houston.

I think the days of the nebulous 'visiting friends' excuse for a visa are numbered.

Contact Information:

Sarah Andriamanana

Visa Section/Honorary Consulate-General of the Kingdom of Thailand

Foster Quan, LLP

600 Travis Street, Suite 2000

Houston, Texas 77002

Telephone: 713.335.3995

Facsimile: 713.228.1303

Electronic Mail: [email protected]

Documents:

1.) Visa application, completed and signed.

2.) Sponsorship letter.

3.) Most recent bank statement.

4.) U.S. Passport.

5.) Two (2) recent photographs.

6.) U.S. Postal money order for $175.

7.) Pre-paid, self-addressed Fedex waybill for returning passport with visa.

Note that these visas are stamped :”Employment Prohibited”. This began in 2008, my 2005, 2006 and 2007 visas did not have this “employment prohibited” stamp.

I FedExed my package on Monday, received my passport on Thursday.

^ My Non-B issued in Houston in October 2008 didn't have the 'employment prohibited' overstamp. I will post what my 2009 application says when I get it back on Monday.

My Sep 2008 issued (1 year/ multiple entry) Non-Imm B visa from Houston did have the "Employment Prohibited" overstamp. My Oct 2009 issued (1 year/ multiple entry) Non-Imm B visa from Houston does have the "Employment Prohibited" overstamp.

My 2005, 2006 and 2007 issued visas did not have this overstamp. Perhaps it has something to do with sponsorship letter, or a change in policy? It's a non-issue for most I imagine.

^ My Non-B issued in Houston in October 2008 didn't have the 'employment prohibited' overstamp. I will post what my 2009 application says when I get it back on Monday.

My Sep 2008 issued (1 year/ multiple entry) Non-Imm B visa from Houston did have the "Employment Prohibited" overstamp. My Oct 2009 issued (1 year/ multiple entry) Non-Imm B visa from Houston does have the "Employment Prohibited" overstamp.

My 2005, 2006 and 2007 issued visas did not have this overstamp. Perhaps it has something to do with sponsorship letter, or a change in policy? It's a non-issue for most I imagine.

It is not a problem. It is just a reminder from the embassy/consulate that you cannot work on Non-B visa alone; you must have work permit as well to be legal.

It is not a problem. It is just a reminder from the embassy/consulate that you cannot work on Non-B visa alone; you must have work permit as well to be legal.

Are you saying that you can link a Work Permit to a 1yr/MR Non-Imm B even if it has the "Employment Prohibited" overstamp?

If so, can you share any supporting experience/documentation?

Edited by lomatopo

Are you saying that you can link a Work Permit to a 1yr/MR Non-Imm B even if it has the "Employment Prohibited" overstamp?

Yes I am. Ask yourself why is a Non-B visa issued? To be able to work is the answer. So why would the embassy/consulate issue the visa if you are not allowed to work? As said, it is a warning only that you must hold a work permit as well.

Have a look at this thread ... (NonB and NonO are both valid visas for WP issue)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Change-Multi...sa-t256463.html

Yes I am. Ask yourself why is a Non-B visa issued? To be able to work is the answer. So why would the embassy/consulate issue the visa if you are not allowed to work? As said, it is a warning only that you must hold a work permit as well.

Have a look at this thread ... (NonB and NonO are both valid visas for WP issue)

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Change-Multi...sa-t256463.html

Thanks. FWIW, Non-Imm B's are issued for reasons other than "...to be able to work...", so I suspect this overstamp might get added depending on the exact details in the sponsorship letter and application. I could be wrong, I often am, but would like to hear if others with Houston Non-Imm B's have this "Employment Prohibited" overstamp? It seems like NanLeaw does not have this overstamp on their 2008 visa, which was issued after mine which does have this overstamp.

A non-Imm 'B' can be issued for business purposes that do not involve WORK:

2.1 Non-Immigrant Visa Category “B” (Business Visa) is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom to work or to conduct business

(1) Foreigners who wish to work in Thailand must provide the following documents: xxxx

(2) Foreigners who wish to conduct business in Thailand must provide the following documents: yyyy

Thaiphoon is absolutely right. A lot of people have this stamp in their passport and have no problem obtaining a work permit with this stamp. As said, it is a warning that you cannot work without a work permit and doesn't mean that you can't work at all.

Consulates also have an "extension of stay not permitted" stamp that they often put on non immigrant O visas as an indication that you can not get the normal tourist 30 day extension of stay. You can still extend such entry for retirement/marriage and such. They are trying to protect us from ourselves. Now they have to have a stamp on the 90 day reports to remind us it is not a permission to stay 90 days. But some of us will always read things differently than others so the water often becomes more cloudy rather than clearer. But that is what makes us human.

I've also seen "extension of stay not permitted" on non-B visa too, but again that does not prevent application for extension of stay based on employment either.

2.1 Non-Immigrant Visa Category “B” (Business Visa) is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom to work or to conduct business

"Conducting business" is work by any other name.

from mfa.go(dot)th website:

2.1 Non-Immigrant Visa Category “B” (Business Visa) is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom to work or to conduct business.

(1) Foreigners who wish to work in Thailand must provide the following documents:

- An alien who receives a Non-Immigrant visa can work in Thailand once he or she is being granted a work permit.

(2) Foreigners who wish to conduct business in Thailand must provide the following documents:

- Passport or travel document with a validity of not less than 6 months.

- Completed application form.

- Recent passport-sized photograph (4 x 6 cm) photograph of the applicant taken within the past 6 months.

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family) for the duration of stay in Thailand

- Letter from the applicant’s company indicating the applicant’s position, length of employment, salary and purpose of visit(s) to Thailand.

- Documents showing correspondence with business partners in Thailand.

- Evidence of financial status in the case where the applicant is self-employed.

- Letter of invitation from trading or associated partners/companies in Thailand.

- Corporate documents of associated partners/companies in Thailand such as:

1) business registration and business license

2) list of shareholders

3) company profile

4) details of business operation

5) map indicating location of the company

6) balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax (Por Ngor Dor 50 and Por Ngor Dor 30) of the latest year

7) value-added tax registration (Por Por 20)

(3) Copies of company documents must be signed by the Board of Directors or authorised managing director and affix seal of company.

(4) Additional documents may be requested as and when necessary. In the absence of a required document, applicant must provide a letter explaining the unavailability of such document. Applicant must endorse on each and every page of the submitted copies of documentation. Documents in foreign languages must be translated into Thai and should be notorised by notary organs or by the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission.

(5) Holder of this type of visa is entitled to stay in Thailand for a maximum period of 90 days. He or she may apply for an extension of stay at the Office of the Immigration Bureau and may be granted such extension for a period of one year from the date of first entry into Thailand.

---(2) as on the mfa website don't say nothin' about no work permit.

I stand corrected on the overstamp issue. Both last years and this years Non-B's from Houston have the employment prohibition overstamp.

As pointed out, it does NOT prevent application for a work permit as my Bangkok client filed for such with the expiring visa last August so it is a non-issue.

Edited by NanLaew

And that was about what now?

"Conducting business" is work by any other name.

According to 2.1(2), conducting business is NOT work and does NOT require a work permit.

Hmmm... tell that to the four Korean commissioning engineers for Hyundai that were recently detained by Thai Labour Dept officials in Sattahip. They weren't really 'working' here and didn't bother to get a business visa so were fined and deported.

The Labour Dept are running spot checks on businesses in LOS and anyone who looks like they are 'working' and doesn't have a WP is getting grief as well as their 'employer'. My client filed an application on my behalf for a WP as I was 'working' on a 1-month project for them. Since the WP procedure can take 3 months to ratify, they had more confidence in having the paper trail in place lest they get 'audited'. As it worked out, the project completed in 3 weeks and the WP application was withdrawn. Covered their arse (and mine).

As you say: "They weren't really 'working' here and didn't bother to get a business visa so were fined and deported."

So you are saying that if they had a business visa as 'commissioning engineers', which would mean I guess they were awarding contracts rather than working on contracts, they would have been fine... not a smart thing to do on a tourist visa.