Question Regarding Criminal Record

I am wanting to move to Thailand. 16 years ago I got into trouble with the law, is this going to keep me from living/working/retiring in Thailand?

Thanks LB........I forgot to mention I have just returne home to the USA to begin getting my affairs in order to move to Thailand and get married, as I have a relationship of 3 yers with a wonderful lady there. After reading the teaching forum and retirement forum, I literally am seriously concerned that I will have a problem because of my past.

Can you elaborate more?....does the forum have a PM function for this?

Thanks so much....

There is PM function available to specific members but it kind of defeats the purpose of a forum unless specific reasons for its use.

Believe LB was only addressing the stay in Thailand bit - if you plan to work as a teacher it might be an issue (but then again it might not). You should be reading that specific forum (teaching) and then have to decide if potential income in USA may offer the better long term possibilities or if a lifetime teaching here might be your best option. As you used the term 'there' would guess you have not experienced much more than tourist Thailand. Low wage expat Thailand might not be what you, or she, need.

Edited by lopburi3

There will be no problem with retirement as there is no Police check when applying at Immigration.

As for teaching? There may be. Hopefully someone will come along with more info.

A national police clearance is required for teachers coming to Thailand, or seeking teachers registration. It is also a requirement for obtaining an O-A visa.

Nothing to stop you getting educational visas ...... 25kbht per year for the school (Whalen offer 14 months for that), plus 2kbht every quarter for immigration.

Or Voluntary work visas, about 15kbht bung to the university of your choice each year plus 2kbht every quarter for immigration.

There will be no problem with retirement as there is no Police check when applying at Immigration.

As for teaching? There may be. Hopefully someone will come along with more info.

A national police clearance is required for teachers coming to Thailand, or seeking teachers registration. It is also a requirement for obtaining an O-A visa.

I got an O-visa and no-one asked me for any police clearance.

I got an O-visa and no-one asked me for any police clearance.

They would have required one if you had applied for an O-A visa

Also requested for PR. Permanent Residency

Nosatisfaction