Utility Bill

ponder

I moved into a condo in Bang Khae ten days ago with a Thai friend. We went to pay the rent today and were told that because we did not tell management our water meter reading on 25th March, we have been fined (!!!) 15 units. We have only used 4 units since we moved in.

As I have never lived in Thailand before, I don't want to kick up a fuss if this is a genuine rule but I cannot see how it can be justified. Maybe my Thai friend did not explain it properly but I think that is what he said and he is saying we should move out but that would be a pain and probably end up costing us a packet.

Also, we are being charged 17 baht per unit (whatever that is) and I wonder if this is standard?

Any advice?

Thanks.

Tell them to f off. They should have checked the water and the electric prior to you receiving the keys. The most I've evr been charged for water is 12 baht per unit but this wasn't in Bangkok.

The cost at a private home in Bangkok is a little less than 12 baht per unit (1,000 liters) after fees and tax (at least in the 50-100 units range).

So you were fined 15x17=255 baht?

And your monthly cost will be (4 units/10 days) 12x17=204 baht

Perhaps 60 baht more than owner pays each month.

Do you know the charge for electric?

From water bill would not be thinking about moving and suspect it is normal to have such rules and higher charges for tenants but have never rented so perhaps others can help you with that.

Ponder -

Just pay the amount, and wash your hands (no pun intended) of this matter, and enjoy your new place.

The calculations done by Lopburi:

Fine: 15x17=255 baht

Monthly cost: (4 units/10 days) 12x17=204 baht

show that the amount in question is chump change. This is far less than anything you would pay in the West.

When I lived in an apartment we sometimes got bills a little higher when we didn't give the apartment owners the months readings in time for the bill, but this was off-set the following month when we gave a reading.

Apartment owners always charge more for water than they pay to the utilities company, but then they factor in the electricity cost of pumping the water up to your apartment. 5 baht for pumping 1000 litres...

The cost at a private home in Bangkok is a little less than 12 baht per unit (1,000 liters) after fees and tax (at least in the 50-100 units range).

So you were fined 15x17=255 baht?

And your monthly cost will be (4 units/10 days) 12x17=204 baht

Perhaps 60 baht more than owner pays each month.

Do you know the charge for electric?

From water bill would not be thinking about moving and suspect it is normal to have such rules and higher charges for tenants but have never rented so perhaps others can help you with that.

Reading the meter when moving in really shouldn't be the tennants resposibility, after all the owner normally wouldn't trust you to be honest about it anyway. However, I agree with lopburi that the amount is trivial and doesn't warrant the trouble of moving out again. I would just be concerned that this incident might be a warning of more problems to come.

Also it's quite normal in Thailand for the landlord to charge a higher rate for utilities than he is paying himself. I wouldn't worry about the water rate, as the additional cost for that as indicated by lopburi would be miniscule. However, it's also quite normal with a surcharge on the electricity rate of up to 100%, and as the electricity bill in most cases is much higher than the water bill, that is where you should really focus your attention.

Sophon

Thanks for all your help everyone. The problem seems to have been solved.

I told my Thai friend to go to Reception and say that his farang friend was very angry, wanted to see a copy of the contract and wanted the name and address of the Director of the company that owned the apartment block so that he could write a letter of complaint.

The fine was cancelled. I am not sure if it was because of my threat or not but it seems to be sorted now and I am only being charged for 4 units. I was not too botherd about the 255 baht - it was what was coming next that was worrying me!

Thanks again.

Good on you for sticking to your guns, but they'll probably recoup that 255 'with interest' somehow. Maybe it would have been best to have let it go as a little bit of face would have been lost also.

Good on you for sticking to your guns, but they'll probably recoup that 255 'with interest' somehow. Maybe it would have been best to have let it go as a little bit of face would have been lost also.

Confusing comment.Why is it a a good thing to stick to ones guns over such a small amount albeit wrongly calculated? Your last sentence is absolutely on target so perhaps you were just being polite (saving the guy's face!) in your sticking to guns comment.But the bottom line is this.Unless Ponder wises up he will continue to face frustration and difficulties in Thailand.