Pope topic closed?

Don't understand why this post was closed.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...15entry317303

Very few people out here are Roman Catholics and everyone was entitled to an opinion, I didn't think the thread was going off topic.

I was going to type something which would have had all the atheists in stitches, though it was I suppose, in bad taste - a bit. :o

Whilst extending condolences, I would prefer a Pontiff-free zone.

BBC World now 24 hour Papal covrage.

Whither Jeremy Clarkson ?

Can't see why TGS feels the need to bring up the subject of the Pope on various Thai Forums ! :o....there are lots of Christian internet Forums with churchgoers who would debate ad nauseam.

Though I can see why it was closed, obviously a bit of a touchy subject and off course not Thai related I don't see why CV had to close it with the patronizing "grow up" statment, no need for it, this being a discussion board and people having a discussion about it.

It wasn't a thread just for mourning Catholics was it?

I see plenty of other threads where people die and jokes are made and those are not closed, why favour the Pope?

...there are lots of Christian internet Forums with churchgoers who would debate ad nauseam.

Who regularly read ThaiVisa.com?

What's a mather scampy , other side getting bored , you'll have to complain here now ?

I think Scampy was saying that most of us have given up the religious side of life as well as the everyday side of life once we decided Thailand was our place of residence. Those of us that call thailand home, tamboon our way of thanks etc only see this as the death of another man, insignificant when you put it against the toll of other recent events.

Granted he was a good man, but not so big in the scheme of things.

Or he may have been saying that Tv should be a place to discuss religion :o other than the Thai majority of bhuddism.

on that note I agree with the closing of threads relating to the subject.

Well, the pope's death was minor news to me.

I was more concerned for the families of the 7 guys and 2 girls killed (ADF) on the devastated island off the coast of North Sumatra.

They had worked tirelessly for the Indon peeps for 3 months, were on their way home to have some well earned leave when the call came to go back to Indon and help out.

They were killed in less than 24 hrs of arrival back in Indon. :o

Have I got my mourning priorities all wrong?

I was more concerned for the families of the 7 guys and 2 girls killed (ADF) on the devastated island off the coast of North Sumatra.

They had worked tirelessly for the Indon peeps for 3 months, were on their way home to have some well earned leave when the call came to go back to Indon and help out.

The ADF deaths are a lot closer to home Udon and none of 'em were 84 years of age.

...there are lots of Christian internet Forums with churchgoers who would debate ad nauseam.

Who regularly read ThaiVisa.com?

What's a mather scampy , other side getting bored , you'll have to complain here now ?

I think Scampy was saying that most of us have given up the religious side of life as well as the everyday side of life once we decided Thailand was our place of residence. Those of us that call thailand home, tamboon our way of thanks etc only see this as the death of another man, insignificant when you put it against the toll of other recent events.

Granted he was a good man, but not so big in the scheme of things.

Or he may have been saying that Tv should be a place to discuss religion :o other than the Thai majority of bhuddism.

on that note I agree with the closing of threads relating to the subject.

Disagree with your premise, Leith, that those of us who choose Thailand have "given up" the religious side of life. If one has any moral/religious beliefs, simply moving country isn't going to erase that core.

I was in support of closing the thread on the Pope simply due to posters like "dick" & irreligious libertines like "Scampy" who just want to slag the poor old boy who was a very decent man no matter your religious beliefs.

"insignificant when you put it against the toll of other recent events."

Not hardly... ask Roman Catholics who reside in LOS if that is the case.

The majority of the population of Thailand may be Buddhist - not all... :D

Edited by Boon Mee

Not at all udon, not at all.

The Pope was a decent man - Diana was probably a decent woman, but there were thousands of decent men and women who were not globally famous who lost their lives in the tsunami (which was relative to Thailand).

Regarding religion - Thailand is not the place for anyone who is religious who is't a Bhuddist and 99% of us expats live in the real world which is why religion is something that should not be discussed on here.

Regarding religion - Thailand is not the place for anyone who is religious who is't a Bhuddist and 99% of us expats live in the real world which is why religion is something that should not be discussed on here.

Actually you will find that Thailand is liberal enough to accept any religion inside its lands, there are at least 5 different places of worship for differing religions within 10km of where i am right now, so basically that statement is wrong.

I'm not even going to touch the ex-pat/religion/real-world comment as it does show a certain amount of narrowmindedness.

Actually you will find that Thailand is liberal enough to accept any religion inside its lands, there are at least 5 different places of worship for differing religions within 10km of where i am right now, so basically that statement is wrong.

I'm not even going to touch the ex-pat/religion/real-world comment as it does show a certain amount of narrowmindedness.

You're missing the point.

I didn't mean 'not the place' as in "we don't want your sort here" I meant 'not the place' as in that Thailand is not the first country you would choose to meet and hang out with expat Christains, Catholics or whatever... Bhuddists yes.

The real world comment will of course be narow minded to some people - especially those who believe that the baby Jesus was born of virgin and that God made Eve from one of Adam's ribs.

Edited by The Gentleman Scamp

The real world comment will of course be narow minded to some people - especially those who believe that the baby Jesus was born of virgin and that God made Eve from one of Adam's ribs.

Im not a religious person at all, but i still found your real world comment to be narrow minded. Just because you dont beleive in it, doesnt mean its wrong.

And i will ask a question, how do you know there are no gods? You have first hand, personal experience in this matter? Do enlighten us all, i'm sure there are millions of people who would interested in your experiences.

Im not a religious person at all, but i still found your real world comment to be narrow minded. Just because you dont beleive in it, doesnt mean its wrong.

And i will ask a question, how do you know there are no gods? You have first hand, personal experience in this matter? Do enlighten us all, i'm sure there are millions of people who would interested in your experiences.

I don't know there are no Gods and I respect God in case he is there.

What I don't respect is man made religion, except for Bhuddism which is less based on man made fairytales or opressing women and contentrates on being good to your fellow man woman and animal.

Were a thread on this subject given the green light I would be confident in placing a wager on a higher majority agreeing with my views.

What I don't respect is man made religion, except for Bhuddism which is less based on man made fairytales or opressing women and contentrates on being good to your fellow man woman and animal

Mate your digging holes for yourself, have you ever looked at some of the Buddist stories or their tenets on the treatment of women ?

I'm a devout athiest, but that does not mean that I dont respect others views on their own religion. I just dont share them

Again, how do you know that cristianity is a man made religion?

Anyway, enough of this banter... The topic in question was closed because it became disrespective of a man who has died, who happened to be the head of a particular religion.

I hope that answered your question, can i close this thread too now?