New Passport - Must Transfer Visa?

My embassy has informed me that I have a new passport waiting for me and they want to send it to me. Do I have to transfer my visa at immigration in Bkk before my next visarun or can I just bring my old passport with visa and departurecard to the border imigration along with my new passport and simply get stamped out of Thailand in the new passport before entering malaysia?

How does this work?

All help appriciated!

Is best to sort out beforehand by visiting local immigration office, but can be done at airport. Immigration will transfer your permission to stay/extension of stay/ re-entry permit stamps (as appropriate) to your new passport, so you can then use that to leave the country (you cannot leave using an expired/cancelled passport). A visa cannot be transferred as issued by Thai embassy/consulate abroad. If your visa remains valid, you will need to travel using both passports until your visa expires.

Edited by thaiphoon

My visa in old passport is expiring and used on exit and i'm leaving the kingdom to go and get a new visa, this time in new passport. Okay to show up at the border with both passports and leave without any problem?

My embassy has informed me that I have a new passport waiting for me and they want to send it to me. Do I have to transfer my visa at immigration in Bkk before my next visarun or can I just bring my old passport with visa and departurecard to the border imigration along with my new passport and simply get stamped out of Thailand in the new passport before entering malaysia?

How does this work?

All help appriciated!

My wife recently acquired a new passport and she was advised to get ALL her current visa's transfered to her new passport. She visited the local immigration office and they duly did this for her with no problems. I believe that you can use your old passport as long as the corners of the pages containing the visa stamps are not cut, they seem to just cut the corners of the front and back of the expired passport to show that it is no longer useable as a 'passport' but the visa's remain valid until their expiry dates.

Do not believe she had visas transferred in Thailand. Only extensions of stay or permitted to stay stamps are transferred. Old passport with valid visa can be used for travel with arrival/departure stamps put into the new passport.

they transfer visas as well. I had my Non "o" visa which was issued in 2002 ,that was used to obtain my 1st retirment extension transfered to my new passport this year. Along with the stamp showing when i came in.

take both passports with ya and show when u depart and get new visa in new passport

Edited by phuketrichard

I pick up my New Passport on Friday, and next month I need to do 3 month Cambodia Visa stamp Run. (I have Multi "O" - no extension) Can I transfer my "Arrival Stamp" at Poipet, or do I need to go to the new Immigration office?

If I need to go to the new office, does anyone know where they are in the building (floor & room #) and what docs are required and cost if any?

Is it a time consuming procedure? Better to go in morning or afternoon? I could p/u passport in the morning on Friday and head out there on Friday afternoon.. and I do know it will be Friday the 13th... just my luck.. or I could delay a week.

Mucho thanks for any updated info,

CS

Edited by CosmicSurfer

they transfer visas as well. I had my Non "o" visa which was issued in 2002 ,that was used to obtain my 1st retirment extension transfered to my new passport this year. Along with the stamp showing when i came in.

A visa from 2002 died years ago. What you had transferred is the information from that visa, the entry stamp (s) and your current extension of stay.

They do not transfer visas.

I pick up my New Passport on Friday, and next month I need to do 3 month Cambodia Visa stamp Run. (I have Multi "O" - no extension) Can I transfer my "Arrival Stamp" at Poipet, or do I need to go to the new Immigration office?

If I need to go to the new office, does anyone know where they are in the building (floor & room #) and what docs are required and cost if any?

Is it a time consuming procedure? Better to go in morning or afternoon? I could p/u passport in the morning on Friday and head out there on Friday afternoon.. and I do know it will be Friday the 13th... just my luck.. or I could delay a week.

Mucho thanks for any updated info,

CS

You should do at the new office. It is 1st floor at South Entry of building (main entry is East). Car entry is into 1st floor). Easy to find from any entry as all open area inside. There is no cost and a single page form to fill out. You will need copies of old passport/visa/stamp and of new passport data page. Do not know there application policy at new building but expect should not take too long - building itself is nice with banks/eating places and such just down one floor in escalator. They do close from noon to one so probably best to arrive 9 or 10.

It's very difficult to transfor of visa. Do not believe she had visas transferred in Thailand. Only extensions of stay or permitted to stay stamps are transferred. Old passport with valid visa can be used for travel with arrival/departure stamps put into the new passport.

Look at MJo post

Post 8

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Passport-Soo...-S-t240932.html

I done a stamp transfer on my new passport 2 months ago, same requirement as MJo describe

What will have been transferred is permission to stay stamp/extension of stay stamp/re-entry stamp (as appropriate). These are all stamps issued by Thai immigration. Thai immigration cannot transfer a visa as it is issued by an embassy/consulate abroad, but immigration may handwrite visa details in the new passport for information purposes. In such circumstances would need to travel using both passports until the visa expires.

MJo's post confirms his visa was not transferred:

Also to be noted that i do not have extension of stay, only one year multiple non-imm O visa which was not transferred to my new passport so i still need to keep my old pp with me when traveling in and out. My new passport has now new one page stamp stating that entry stamp has been transferred from old passport.

Edited by thaiphoon