Everyday Elephants

bendejo

Someone I know is bringing their family here and they want to see elephants. I’d like to direct them to an area of Thailand where elephants are used as everyday beasts of burden or can be seen in the wild, as opposed to a zoo or circus setting, or as a ride where they just go around in circles or are brought around the towns for people to feed.

Suggestions?

Edited by bendejo

Seeing them in the wild is possible and we have seen them several times in Khao Yai National Park but we go there quite often camping. Your friends could get lucky and see them there. If not their are plenty of deer and monkeys to look at.

If you are unable to see any of the wild type and you are in the Pattaya area then continue past Pattaya on Sukhumvit Road for about 5 km heading towards Satahip and there is a large elephant camp located on the right side of Sukhumvit. A bit tourist but they do have many elephants.

There is an elephant camp for abused and resting elephants run by a vet on voluntary donations about 25K north of Kanchanaburi. YOu can go up and they will let you sit on the elephants whilst they bathe. They dont do tricks or take you for walks though.

Good people and a good cause. you give what you feel.

Others here have given some good suggestions. It is VERY difficult to go on your own and find wild elephants. They just are not that common. But, there are good elephant "farms" scattered throughout Thailand. Some are very good and you can check with most tourist trip centers that offer such trips. I love elephants, but riding on them is tedious for any length of time... and especially so if you are not sitting in one of the basket seats, but on the head like a mahout.

Elephant_ride_2.sized.jpg

This is the biggest bull with the largest tusks I've ever seen on an Asian elephant. It was outside of Kanchanburi.

Bull_elephant_1.sized.jpg

They are truly amazing creatures that are very smart and live as long as humans.

Bull_elephant_Em.sized.jpg