Baby Elephants In Soi 4

bambob

i thought they were supposed to be banning elephants on the sois ? but in fact its worse now because the poor beasts are seperated from their parents at even younger ages and made to perform tricks to get a snack . these elephants are now very small and young and made to work late in the small hours .

bad state of affairs...

but in fact its worse now because the poor beasts are seperated from their parents at even younger ages and made to perform tricks to get a snack . these ****** are now very small and young and made to work late in the small hours .

Fill in the missing word marked ******** -( 'children' ? It could apply to 10 year kids on the Sukhumvit Rd souvenir stalls too).

We're not in Kansas any more Toto.

Five of them ( three young ones) parade my soi every day on their way to silom and sukhumvit i guess. I feel so sorry for those poor creatures and so furious with the beasts that exploit them.

Bull

WHen we use to live on 22 Sukhumvit my wife use to go ballistic at the sight of them. Far as she is concerned they should be in the jungle. I get her point of view though.

Crazy drivers + baby elephants. Not a good combo. Let alone adding the suiside motorbike taxis.

Proper reserves or the jungle is where they should be.

She theatened to call the cops once but just got really upset instead.

C

I thought they were big mice!

its just the way of the world today,dont get me wrong folks!! I have worked in zoos and sanctuaries most of my life, and animals will allways be mistreated and exploited, but sooner elephants on the soi,s than to see them culled in their 1000,s and left too rot in the sun :o nignoy

:D:D:D

GS, why Saigon?

He probably prefers dogs to pet, rather than to eat.

Or snakes, or rats.

I didn't see any exceptional cruelty when I was working in HCMC, but the cyclo-drivers did transport cages of mangy soi-dogs to the various restaurants.

When working in Hong Kong the pigs used to arrive by train from mainland China. They were loaded about eight high in wire goods-trucks, and where I lived (Kowloon Tong) the railway went round a bend. So every time a pig-train came through KT station someone would shout out, we all covered our noses and tried to hold our breath while all the excrement flowed off the train.

One time, when the train arrived at Kowloon terminus, the whole cargo escaped as they were on their way to the slaughter-house (much better than abattoir, I think). Chaos for half a day. But they were all caught and killed, chopped-up and eaten.

Also in HK I would eat snake in November, plus drink the blood. Keeps you fit through the winter, no colds, no 'flu. But you do have a fever for a couple of days after eating it - must be residual venom in the meat / blood (snake has to be Asian Viper, I believe).

HB, yeah I have been to SGN & HAN many times. Girlfriend lives in SGN. That's why I asked GS, as I have never witnessed any cruelty.

In many ways it is not Thailand, and love it for the differences.

I guess GS equates cruelty to eating? You have that right, he should go to China.

In any case, guess he choses not to back up his rhetoric.

My GF dog is 17 years. Guess she was never hungry. :o

You can report these people easily enough. Contact Soraida Solwala at the Friends of the Asian Elephant. She is an amazing woman who deals with this all the time. I don't have her number, but they have a website, and a Bangkok office.

The problem is that there is no or very little real work for elephants nowadays. One way or another they are circus tools. At least the jumbos are getting well fed and watered.

What is the answer? I don't know.

And there again, we still have children working Soi 4, if we can’t take care of humans then we have no chance of caring for animals.

Welcome to the real world.

You can report these people easily enough. Contact Soraida Solwala at the Friends of the Asian Elephant. She is an amazing woman who deals with this all the time. I don't have her number, but they have a website, and a Bangkok office.

Doesn't look like she is doing anything.

Relocate the elephants and lock up the mahouts, easy.

Make it a crime to give money to them.

That would be a good earner for the cutns in brown, better than littering fines.

Neeranam, I am sure that Soraida takes action on these things. She has a lot of work on her hands, but I am sure if you emailed her, that she would reply to you. I have emailed her before and she has been really prompt in replying to her.

There is a chance that she is not in the country at the moment, also. If you try her, I am sure you will hear something back from her.

http://www.warthai.org/home.htm (wild animal rescue of thailand i think they have an elephant clinic also)

http://www.warthai.org/education/elephants.htm

Thailand:

Wildlife Friends of Thailand

Mr Edwin Wiek

Tel: + 66 3245 8135

E-mail: [email protected]

TSCWA

Care for the Wild Thailand

Mr Tim Redford

Fax: + 66 2732 7618

WARFT

Wild Animal Rescue Foundation of Thailand

TVU

Thai Vegetarian Union

Dr Maitree Suttajit

Fax: + 66 5321 7144

FAE

Friends of the Asian Elephant

Ms Soraida Salwala

Fax: + 66 2552 3824

TAP

The Atigaro Project

Dr Alison Montgomery

PAC

Pha-Ngan Animal Care

Dr Shevaun Gallwey

http://www.aapn.org/index.html (asian animal protection network: china taiwan singapore, thailand malaysia etc etc)