90% Of Births In Private Hospitals Are C Sections?

YoungNRich12

Gov't hospitals tend not to do anything that is 'more' than necessary

Why would they?

They don't go the extra mile for any kind of treatment. In fact that often don't even go the full mile for standard treatment. Chest pains? Try some aspirin first before we look further into it.

:)

I have also heard the rumours of a preference for C sections, most sources saying C section % were 70%, but must say our experience was different.

My Thai wife gave birth naturally to a baby of normal weight, if anything a little smaller than normal at 2.8kgs. Vichaiyut was an excellent hospital and good value for money!

The standard of care was first rate, the Dr always had time to answer our questions, gave us additional reading material, allowed us to borrow his books and never any hint of pressure for a C section, quite the opposite. Highly recommended.

The Bangkok Post published the statistics a few years back. 50% of births in private hospitals in the Bangkok area are by C-section.

Once you go upcountry and into government hospitals, the figures drop dramatically.

In Western Europe, about 16% of births are by C-Section.

Ours was born in BR ealier this year. We wanted natural and the staff and doc supported it and no "pushing" to C section.

Only when it was evident that the baby just can not fit thru and her heart rates were all wrong etc he recommended emergency C section. He told us that in his professional opinion there was more risk (risk of losing the baby or mother or both) by continuing natural than do C Section. And i'm 100% sure it was not due financial reasons. My wife had been in labor almost full 24 hours at that time and the baby's heart rates etc were all wrong and going even worse.

So in my opinion it is pretty much for the parents to choose. Private hospitals will provide the service you want and if big number of mothers want C section it is their choice and their right to do so. Same goes for going natural birth, mother's choice.

Sure there is all kind of doc's around with main motivation of "scamming farangs" but i doubt they work in respected private hospitals :)

Our 2 girls were both natural birth. The first one was 2 weeks late, 4.10kg and the doctor constantly mumbling 'yai maak' all the way through the delivery had to use forceps, while 2 nurses pushed down on my wife's stomach. I was amazed and slightly worried. All went well, apart from a black eye (my daughter, not the doctor).

The 2nd one was 2 weeks early, 2.7kg and popped out in 15 minutes. I didn't even have the camera on.

Our son was born natural at Samitivej Sukumvit and our daughter by C-section. Both babies were just over 3 kgs, we chose c-section for our daughter because the wife wanted to get her tubes tied. My wife says the C-section was much worse than natural birth because she experienced pain for months after the procedure.

We used the same doctor both times and she always recommended natural birth.

The doctor did mention that Thai couples preferred c-section for lucky days especially the king and queen's birthday.

Our son was born natural at Samitivej Sukumvit and our daughter by C-section. Both babies were just over 3 kgs, we chose c-section for our daughter because the wife wanted to get her tubes tied. My wife says the C-section was much worse than natural birth because she experienced pain for months after the procedure.

We used the same doctor both times and she always recommended natural birth.

The doctor did mention that Thai couples preferred c-section for lucky days especially the king and queen's birthday.

Thanks Pete interesting to know maybe ill ask for her name when the time is nearer.

The general consensus seems to be that C-Section hurts for weeks after the operation, whereas the pain is more or less over with a Natural Birth after the baby is birthed.

That's what my wife said also, not to mention the scar that is left after the C-section.

I'd be curious the reaction a doctor in the US/Europe would have if an expectant mother asked for her delivery to be scheduled for a particular date/time.

As for those 8 month deliveries: the last time I made cupcakes and took them out the oven a bit too quick, they were a little mushy in the center.

Foreigners seem unjustly obsessed with this childbirth question. I just let my wife decide and helped in any way I could to support her decision. Once a baby is out it's out! Nothing more to say...

I agree.

In my case, I woke up one Saturday morning around 8am with a roaring hangover and the mrs was sitting at the dining room table and said "My water broke and I am in labour".

The loving husband I am replied "Ok dear, get in a taxi and go to the hospital and I will come by after I have thrown up."

A few hours later this little bugger popped out... :)

post-22903-1257326982_thumb.jpg

Vichaiyut was an excellent hospital and good value for money!

2nd that. That's where several of my family members go to for any number of health issues, mostly because many of ajarn mor (practicing doctor professors) practice there. Also THE place to go if you've been drinking yourself to death over the course of a lifetime (that's where the #1 liver doc practices). Private and reasonably priced compared to the 'brand name' hospitals.

:)

I'd be curious the reaction a doctor in the US/Europe would have if an expectant mother asked for her delivery to be scheduled for a particular date/time.

As for those 8 month deliveries: the last time I made cupcakes and took them out the oven a bit too quick, they were a little mushy in the center.

My thoughts exactly but I say nothing and just smile.

Brigante7.

My thoughts exactly but I just smile and say nothing.

Brigante7.

In The Farang Thai relationships I heard the babies as Luk kreung were larger than a Thai Thai child? Hence C section?

Not true. The average Thai and Foreign birth are actually about the same. Three kilos.

Barry

3 kilos average? Where you get this from?? A 3 kilo baby in NORTHERN Europe is wery small I think. My wife will have a baby boy born with C section next Wednesday at Bankok Hospital, Phuket. She is 150 cm tall and 37 years old. I am 177 and 82 kilo, so not over the average Falang size I think. The baby is approx 4 kilo at this moment, so for shure, C section is the only option. The doctor say that this in common practise when the father is Falang, because the babys weight is normaly between 2.6 to 4.0 Kilo. And that a normal birth takes more hospital time than C section is not true. My wife will spend 5 nights and 4 days there. Thats the minimum.

3 kilos average? Where you get this from?? A 3 kilo baby in NORTHERN Europe is wery small I think. My wife will have a baby boy born with C section next Wednesday at Bankok Hospital, Phuket. She is 150 cm tall and 37 years old. I am 177 and 82 kilo, so not over the average Falang size I think. The baby is approx 4 kilo at this moment, so for shure, C section is the only option. The doctor say that this in common practise when the father is Falang, because the babys weight is normaly between 2.6 to 4.0 Kilo. And that a normal birth takes more hospital time than C section is not true. My wife will spend 5 nights and 4 days there. Thats the minimum.

The average is around 3.5kg. Seems you have a big healthy baby on the way!

Hope all goes as planned. :)