Thailand Second Best-value Destination: Lonely Planet

george

What utter crap!!! I agree London has now most certainly become better value. Things are much cheaper in comparison to Thailand. Thailand is fast becoming a major rip off! People are still living in the past and still believe the old crap. So what is better value in Thailand?

It was only a matter of time before the idiots turned up.

Cheaper in Thailand:

-Accommodation

-Public transport

-Eating out

-Most groceries (apart from imported western items)

-Health care (apart from NHS)

-Fuel

-Insurance

-All kind of taxes

Do I need to go on.........

Well said Sir!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What utter crap!!! I agree London has now most certainly become better value. Things are much cheaper in comparison to Thailand. Thailand is fast becoming a major rip off! People are still living in the past and still believe the old crap. So what is better value in Thailand?

Cheaper in Thailand:

-Accommodation

-Public transport

-Eating out

-Fuel

-Insurance

-All kind of taxes

Well said Sir!

No need to go on but, in the context of the Lonely Planet thing, I believe they were referring to costs faced by visitors?

The last 4 points you mention don't really apply. It was only a matter of time before this was pointed out. :)

I suspect this 'news' item was churned out by LP to contain as many key words as possible to have it show up on as many google searches as possible.

With the Baht as strong as ever against all major western currencies, hard to see how it makes it a top tier value to travel here. Just because LP says it's a good deal, doesn't change reality.

Ha Ha - Online Nation leader currently reads "Thailand always exploits visitors for choice..." :D

Obviously some veracity creeping into the august organs journalism. How long will it last? :D

Must be the cold weather :)

Cheaper in Thailand:

-Accommodation

-Public transport

-Eating out

-Fuel

-Insurance

-All kind of taxes

Exactly - I've not long got back from good old London - it is still vastly more expensive than anywhere in Thailand, including BKK.

Public transport is horrendously expensive, hotels are still way more expensive than here, and as for food - at least 10 times more expensive, especially eating out in good restaurants.

How did Vegas rate? Easier to get mugged? Easier to be ripped off and taxis that you hand your wallet to and say keep the change! Hotels that are way way over priced if you are not a gambler and police and ambulance sirens and guns shots 24/7. Value for money? Try buying any suit at your local tailor there for under 1,000? :) Yep - LP were doing these reports off internet blogs! :D

Certainly Las Vegas ranks right there with NYC as the two most expensive ripoffs in the U.S.

Oops.

Perhaps this nation will NOT slide downwards past Burma and Korea as they had predicted with monotonous regularity over the last 12 months.

Surely you mean North Korea? Or perhaps a better definition of what " .. slide downwards past .." means.

Yes, that was a dream and he just woke up from it.....only in a dream would Thailand even try to compare with "South" Korea.

The Lonely Planet also stated : "The top 10 countries overall for travellers were El Salvador, Germany, Greece, Malaysia, Morocco, Nepal, New Zealand, Portugal, Suriname and the United States. " and "South Africa, India, Malaysia, Mexico, Bulgaria, Kenya and Las Vegas in Nevada rounded out the top 10, said the British-based company in its "Best In Travel 2010" guide."

How they could claim that El Salvador, South Africa and Thailand are good tourist destinations? They must be basing their opinion on cost only, with little or no priority given to the safety of the tourist. All three countries posed serious threats to toursists.

What about India? Name me a dirtier country in the world. Kenya, Mexico & South Africa have huge crime rates. I think South Africa leads the world percentage wise in murders, rapes & HIV. I've known businessmen from the U.S. who were forced to go to India as the U.S. ships most of its jobs overseas and many to India thinking they can speak English and who have lost quite a bit of weight because they would not - under any circumstances - eat the food. Kenya, the birthplace of Barack Obama, is not so safe. Thailand is, for the most part clean, the food is clean and good and decent hotels are affordable. If they were not cheap skapes like the Koreans, Japanese, & Koreans wouldn't be flocking here. I have never heard a non-Indian in the U.S. say, "we are saving for a vacation in India." Mexico, man, you want to talk about murder!

The Lonely Planet also stated : "The top 10 countries overall for travellers were El Salvador, Germany, Greece, Malaysia, Morocco, Nepal, New Zealand, Portugal, Suriname and the United States. " and "South Africa, India, Malaysia, Mexico, Bulgaria, Kenya and Las Vegas in Nevada rounded out the top 10, said the British-based company in its "Best In Travel 2010" guide."

How they could claim that El Salvador, South Africa and Thailand are good tourist destinations? They must be basing their opinion on cost only, with little or no priority given to the safety of the tourist. All three countries posed serious threats to toursists.

What about India? Name me a dirtier country in the world. Kenya, Mexico & South Africa have huge crime rates. I think South Africa leads the world percentage wise in murders, rapes & HIV. I've known businessmen from the U.S. who were forced to go to India as the U.S. ships most of its jobs overseas and many to India thinking they can speak English and who have lost quite a bit of weight because they would not - under any circumstances - eat the food. Kenya, the birthplace of Barack Obama, is not so safe. Thailand is, for the most part clean, the food is clean and good and decent hotels are affordable. If they were not cheap skapes like the Koreans, Japanese, & Koreans wouldn't be flocking here. I have never heard a non-Indian in the U.S. say, "we are saving for a vacation in India." Mexico, man, you want to talk about murder!

Meant to say "Chinese" instead of Koreans twice. These countries know a good deal when they see one. And, many people in the world like warm weather. They can swim in the ocean instead of just looking at the beautiful water. Many people from freezing and cold countries flock to Thailand for the weather and certainly the Thai people are much friendlier than are Europeans.

Typical Nation story. Leave out any facts. So if Thailand is second best, which is the BEST country to visit? :)

Typical moronic post, not bothering to actually read the article.

Here, let me help you:

The economic collapse in Iceland meant the island was no longer punitively expensive, said the guide, putting the beleaguered country at the top of its best-value list.

TH

I'm confused. Are you claiming that London is a cheaper holiday than Thailand?

As to what is "better" value in Thailand, I would suspect that accommodations and local food are less expensive.

Really.... How could London be a better Value destination .... London SUCKS big time. I will never go back there. Over price and cold.

Thailand second best-value destination

Iceland, Thailand, London best-value destinations: Lonely Planet

Iceland and London are among the world's best-value destinations thanks to the economic crisis, travel guide firm Lonely Planet said Tuesday, while Thailand remains tough to beat.

South Africa, India, Malaysia, Mexico, Bulgaria, Kenya and Las Vegas in Nevada rounded out the top 10, said the British-based company in its "Best In Travel 2010" guide.

The annual snapshot book captures "the world's hottest travel trends, destinations, journeys and experiences for the year ahead," Lonely Planet said.

The economic collapse in Iceland meant the island was no longer punitively expensive, said the guide, putting the beleaguered country at the top of its best-value list.

"Have you always wanted to discover this magical, mysterious country? To explore ice caps and volcanoes, and wallow in hot springs? Been put off because of the prohibitive prices? Well, 2010 is your year."

Thailand, at number two, remained "perennially good value", said the book.

"It's one of the cheapest long-haul holidays for European holidaymakers... visitors are always spoilt for choice regarding accommodation."

Meanwhile London's days as a costly destination were now over, Lonely Planet said.

"Long ludicrously expensive, London has become much more affordable for visitors from abroad, if not for its residents," said the guide.

"The favourable exchange rate means that travellers will often find hotels and meals up to half the price they were a few years ago."

Elsewhere in the top 10, Malaysia "is a clever choice for travellers on the lookout for a bargain", while in India "your money stretches almost as far as the infamous Indian 'stretchable' time".

"South Africa is not only about an amazing climate, vast unspoilt scenery, balmy sandy beaches, extraordinary wildlife and adventure activities, but the cost of living is low, so it's also excellent value for money."

The top 10 countries overall for travellers were El Salvador, Germany, Greece, Malaysia, Morocco, Nepal, New Zealand, Portugal, Suriname and the United States.

The top 10 cities were Abu Dhabi, Charleston (South Carolina), Cork (Ireland), Cuenca (Ecuador), Istanbul, Kyoto (Japan), Lecce (Italy), Sarajevo, Singapore and Vancouver (Canada).

Bali (Indonesia), Goa (India), Koh Kong (Cambodia), Southern Africa and southwest Western Australia featured among the top 10 regions.

-- Agencies 2009-11-03

Get the Nation/Thaivisa news faster via SMS:

14 days free trial, dial *424010011 on your mobile

Difficult to believe that Ecuador is not in the top 10. LP is not always accurate.

Cheaper in Thailand:

-Accommodation

-Public transport

-Eating out

-Fuel

-Insurance

-All kind of taxes

Exactly - I've not long got back from good old London - it is still vastly more expensive than anywhere in Thailand, including BKK.

Public transport is horrendously expensive, hotels are still way more expensive than here, and as for food - at least 10 times more expensive, especially eating out in good restaurants.

I don't agree with all in absolute terms and certainly not in relative terms. We could both pick examples to "prove" one place was better value than the other but one of your moans, about public transport is just ridiculous. The tube is not cheap but you can get a daily pass for tube and bus for £5.60 (up to £7.50 if you include all the way out to zone 6 and Heathrow) and the network is huge. By comparison, Bangkok's network is like the DLR, only smaller !

I know some very good boutique hotels in London which compare well with similar quality Bangkok hotel prices and that is in absolute terms. In relative terms, they are streets ahead. I guess the Oriental in Bangkok is still very well priced ?

Joking aside, and forgetting where we live for a moment, London is cheaper for most as the £ is down the toilet. Not cheap, but cheaper. Better value ? almost certainly yes. I used to think some parts of Europe became too expensive after they created the Euro and that was when it was 1.7 to the £. Imagine how bad they are now at near parity ?

Food is not 10 times as expensive but I grant you that there are none of the very cheap street eateries. There are terrible hot dog vans though !

I love Thailand but I've been going there and have lived in a number of places in Thailand for long enough now to know that it is not the cheap destination it once was. With businesses in the tourist sector, I know how tourists are hurting and where they make their complaints and it is not about the cost to ride the tube in London !

"Best-Value" for who? For "Europeans" with nearly 50 baht to the euro maybe? Certainly not for the Brits with 54 baht to the pound right now compared to 70 two years ago. It's all relative (to the exchange rate, and how much other countries are ripping off the tourists of course).

How much does a good rank cost?

You hit the nail on the head!!! This must have been expensive as I know since long that Lonely Planet is more politics than objective advice. It's business like everywhere. I cannot more disagree with all of their findings this year... They are completely off track and doomed to be a useless travel guidance which it is already since a couple of years with me! Monkey business... :):D:D:D:D

HMM! This year ive been to bulgaria, fuertaventura, menorca , london and thailand twice and i think thailand was the best value hoilday by far and as for london being cheaper than thailand???? i dont think so!!!

Haven't been to LOS for quite a while so can't comment, but, other post on other topics would suggest that it is still very reasonable.

South Africa? LP is kidding surely. Cousin of mine just returned from 4 weeks seeing old friends. She lived there for 28 years. Rape capital of the world (good value?).

It's STILL a "time bomb so what's new", to quote from today's email (value?).

South Korea? They eat dog there. Good value? Who gives a shoot.

Mexico? Super dodgy household electrics. Who gives a shoot?

Iceland? So the ladies are friendlier, are they, than in times past? Cold, barren. Who gives a ........?

India? OMG. Never been there, but how could it be other than filthy and smelly and chockers with child exploitation? Value? Who gives a ........?

London? Don't know how ordinary tourists manage there frankly. A friend recently returned with 'horrific' stories of the cost of a coffee, piece of cake etcetera. Great place if you like the cold winters (some don't mind I'm told).

Where else? Who gives a ........

Met a lady a while back who'd lived in Lombock for 30 years. Wouldn't DREAM of seeking medical treatment there. Ditto goes for Vietnam, I understand, and almost certainly Cambodia. Thailand, I understand, is streets ahead of surrounding countries (especially for those without medical insurance).

I'm one Yank that loves Indian food. Don't believe for one moment that the Thai restaurants are clean. I've found everything from rocks, building mat'ls to insects in my Thai food and have a missing tooth to prove it!

Yes, Mexico has high crime rates but Thailand is right at the top, along with Mexico, So Africa, El Salvador and Columbia.

I suppose it all "boils down" to where you'd like to where you'd prefer to take a "dirt nap".

just the usual crap:

it is just cheap advertisement for lonely planet.

In fact there is no information. No explanation how these ratings were done. Just some underpaid (probable low trained)

journalist, with very few information. The time (length of time), thaivisa readers are wasting with reading this shit is much more compared to the time, the journalist spent for making this bullshit.....

usual media shit !

El Salvador, Kyoto, Charleston ! What a crap!

Ask people, what is the best drink: result: Coke !!!!!!!!

Oh thankyou: Now I know, Thailand is relatively cheap for holidays ! I didnt know this before !

bla bla bla....

no more comment

Food, girls, accomodation, transportation... Should I go on? :)

Thailand second best-value destination

Iceland, Thailand, London best-value destinations: Lonely Planet

Iceland and London are among the world's best-value destinations thanks to the economic crisis, travel guide firm Lonely Planet said Tuesday, while Thailand remains tough to beat.

South Africa, India, Malaysia, Mexico, Bulgaria, Kenya and Las Vegas in Nevada rounded out the top 10, said the British-based company in its "Best In Travel 2010" guide.

The annual snapshot book captures "the world's hottest travel trends, destinations, journeys and experiences for the year ahead," Lonely Planet said.

"Have you always wanted to discover this magical, mysterious country? To explore ice caps and volcanoes, and wallow in hot springs? Been put off because of the prohibitive prices? Well, 2010 is your year."

Thailand, at number two, remained "perennially good value", said the book.

"It's one of the cheapest long-haul holidays for European holidaymakers... visitors are always spoilt for choice regarding accommodation."

Meanwhile London's days as a costly destination were now over, Lonely Planet said.

"Long ludicrously expensive, London has become much more affordable for visitors from abroad, if not for its residents," said the guide.

"The favourable exchange rate means that travellers will often find hotels and meals up to half the price they were a few years ago."

Elsewhere in the top 10, Malaysia "is a clever choice for travellers on the lookout for a bargain", while in India "your money stretches almost as far as the infamous Indian 'stretchable' time".

"South Africa is not only about an amazing climate, vast unspoilt scenery, balmy sandy beaches, extraordinary wildlife and adventure activities, but the cost of living is low, so it's also excellent value for money."

The top 10 countries overall for travellers were El Salvador, Germany, Greece, Malaysia, Morocco, Nepal, New Zealand, Portugal, Suriname and the United States.

The top 10 cities were Abu Dhabi, Charleston (South Carolina), Cork (Ireland), Cuenca (Ecuador), Istanbul, Kyoto (Japan), Lecce (Italy), Sarajevo, Singapore and Vancouver (Canada).

Bali (Indonesia), Goa (India), Koh Kong (Cambodia), Southern Africa and southwest Western Australia featured among the top 10 regions.

-- Agencies 2009-11-03

Get the Nation/Thaivisa news faster via SMS:

14 days free trial, dial *424010011 on your mobile

London based, obviously puts its own country first. What a joke

Lunch for two and a single glass of wine at 116 UK pounds = about Bt6000, was what my brother paid to take our visiting

nephew out in London a couple of weeks ago. He (my brother) is moving to Spain because of the high cost of living in the UK

The rest of the survey was about fair

I would pick Colombia as one of the best values as well (northern coast, like Cartagena, Santa Maria, etc.), but then again you have to factor in the "danger" factor...for a single guy who's relatively young, it's a different destination than for a family of four.

Thailand is definitely a better value than say, the Philippines...in my mind. I would also think that Vietnam would be one of the up-and-coming countries and would be featured ahead of Thailand, for a number of reasons. I went to Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia last year for a two week tour and really, really enjoyed Vietnam a lot. (Just watch out for all those motorcycles in Ho Chi Minh!)

I've never been to Spain, London, Paris, Rome, Venice, etc., because they always seemed pricey...heck, Prague, when I was there in late 2006, was becoming too trendy and expensive as well.

I was in Taiwan a couple of weeks ago and I felt I was paying the same prices I would be paying in the US, except now I am living on my $1250-1500 USD per month teaching salary working 2 jobs here in Thailand.

I lived in Cebu City, Philippines probably for six months in the last 2-3 years and it's definitely much more expensive than where I live here in Thailand (between Pattaya and BKK). Rent here is 25-30% cheaper....electricity about the same, food costs and vacationing costs are probably 15-30% lower as well.

China is so different...I lived and worked in mainland China (away from Beijing/Shanghai/HK/Shenzhen/Macao) and I wouldn't call it a value destination anymore either. And my eyes are still irritated from the pollution...I think going forward, the issue of pollution and coal-burning energy production will have a profound impact on Asia, if it's not yet already.

As far as cheap/safe/interesting, I'd probably go with Peru, Cuzco, Macchu Piccu.