Someone Kill Me Now - Help Needed

jfk

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doing some classroom observations is an excellent, excellent idea. It is really difficult to grasp some of the concepts unless you see them in action.

hi,thanks for all your help, it is appreciated. i wont tell you where i live as i dont want critisism of the education system in the town i have lived in for 6 years.

i am trully inexperienced at teaching but this school needs help with english classes and the least i can do is try to help them and give something back.

i normally have a thai assistant and these classes are a breeze. however staff constraints and big student numbers dont always allow for me to have an assistant.

my cry for help was to get your input on how to control 40 kids when i am alone.

thank you to the moderator for removing the usual opinions that would have in no way helped me. if you dont have anything constuctive or helpful to tell me then just keep it to yourself. for the others, thank you very much for your input. it is very appreciated.

for you others, try to remember this forum is here to help not as an outlet for your many frustrations so you can take a bite out of someone else.

many thanks.

I would plan your class in five minute blocks. Find things that they like. You must grab their attention and then keep it. One thing you can do is break your class into eight groups of five. This means you only have to watch eight places instead of 40. I do a lot of board rushes to start class to get their attention. I also use a lot, and I mean a lot of flashcards. Keep things very simple. If you can get them giving right answers, they will pay attention. They will still be on the edge of chaos, but at least they are learning.

Tim

Edited by troehr

"....And on more serious note i agree that qualifications are important and give the basic tools to build on but what matters more is right attitude and devotion to the job. With 7 years olds it might be even better to have a young guy without qualifications to get the kids interested of learning the language than force fed them with grammar and the teachers ego...."

I have 10 years of teaching experience including in early days being a substitute teacher while looking for a full-time job.

I agree 100% with the above post. Certainly formal training and a teaching internship help but in the end who you are and your talent at working with kids is what counts.

Any native speaker of English who is intelligent, kind, energetic and creative can teach kids to speak English.

Just have fun and make flash cards, get the kids to interact by actually talking instead of sitting bored in their seats.

Over the course of nearly 20 years as an administrator in the States, I probably hired well over 200 teachers. Yes, most people can learn how to teach. But, every once in a while someone comes along that simply hasn't got what it takes...and never will.

In regard to native speakers. I have to go the other way, and I'll give you an example. Real interview with a native French speaker applying for our French teaching position in grade 8:

Me: "So. how much homework should students have a night?"

French Speaker: "About 3 hours is right."

Me: "And of that 3 hours, how much of that time should be spent on French homework?"

French Speaker: "Oh you don't understand that there is no subject more important than French. The three hours of homework is in French. After that the students can begin their other homework."

While that may be an extreme case, it demonstrates why any native speaker cannot necessarily teach their language.

I have deleted many, many posts and will spend the evening going through them and issuing warnings. So, when you get a holiday for flaming, trolling, and off-topic responses, you've been warned.

The OP has asked for advice about dealing with a class of 7 years old. That is what you are welcome to respond to.

The rest of you can go to the farming forum and explain to them how to herd chickens.

Well done. I hope you keep it up because lots of people just love typing, and instead of helping out, they always turn a simple plea for assistance into a charade of useless rants.

I suggest you talk to the head teacher or your supervisor to see what they can do because the assistant Thai teacher in your class may have her hands tied.

Edited by Scott

I suggest you talk to the head teacher or your supervisor to see what they can do because the assistant Thai teacher in your class may have her hands tied.

I think, at face value, this is very good advice. I do, however, think back to my very first full year of teaching back in Maryland (I'd had a half-year the previous year). My new principal thought I was just wonderful. I'm not sure why she thought that...I truly thought I was drowning and expected to go right down the drain. But, I did not feel I could go to any of the administrators because I feared the consequences of basically saying, "I don't know what I'm doing." Looking back, I'm quite sure I could have gone to at least two out of the three admins, but that's not how one feels when one is going through it.

The safest way to seek that kind of help -- at least in the States -- is to go to an admin and say, "I'd really like to expand my repertoire of strategies. Is there a way I could observe some other teachers? And who would you recommend?" Makes you look proactive and open-minded, but the result would be the same.

Observing is a very good idea and in my experience, the Thai Admin like the idea. Especially if they pick out teachers for you to observe. It also gives you a good idea of how they want you to do things. You might also take a quick look at people who seem to know their stuff.

I encourage a lot of this at our school. Even very good teachers can pick up some things that work.

hi guys,

sorry for very little response from me as i have been very busy doing lesson plans to keep the kids interested. their attention span is no more than 20 seconds before they start to nod off from the heat in the class room. i took them to an air conditioned room and played an english speaking cartoon about germs and the super heroe fights them. thai subtitles were present. 1 minute in they ask me to put it on in thai speaking as they dont understand, i explain we are trying to learn english words. they lose interest and start playing up again. so its back to drawing,colouring in with words describing whats happening in the picture.

i say the words or sentences and they repeat back. 55 mins into the leason i write the word on the board,ask what it says and all i get is blank stares.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

this is going to be hard but these little terrors are not going to win. they are going to learn something even if it kills me.

anymore suggestions to keep their attention is appreciated.

regards.

hi guys,

sorry for very little response from me as i have been very busy doing lesson plans to keep the kids interested. their attention span is no more than 20 seconds before they start to nod off from the heat in the class room. i took them to an air conditioned room and played an english speaking cartoon about germs and the super heroe fights them. thai subtitles were present. 1 minute in they ask me to put it on in thai speaking as they dont understand, i explain we are trying to learn english words. they lose interest and start playing up again. so its back to drawing,colouring in with words describing whats happening in the picture.

i say the words or sentences and they repeat back. 55 mins into the leason i write the word on the board,ask what it says and all i get is blank stares.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

this is going to be hard but these little terrors are not going to win. they are going to learn something even if it kills me.

anymore suggestions to keep their attention is appreciated.

regards.

JFK,

Did you try modeling dialog and breaking them up into small groups liek I suggested?

I have done this a thousand times - it works....

jfk it sounds like your lessons need to be a lot more energetic and upbeat. Colouring in, watching cartoons...these are all quiet activities that any 7 year old will struggle with for a long period of time. I suggest activities like this should be used in the second half of your lesson after you have tired the kids out with all your games. Don't just chop and change things according the children's reaction, plan your lesson carefully in advance. Search on the internet about how to create lesson plans...your activities should be relevant to what you are trying to achieve and to the stage in the lesson.

With younger students it is also a good idea to have some very quick games that you can throw in to keep the children energised, but ensure that your activities themselves use lots of language, body language and kinetic activity. Try to understand that at this age kids are thinking a thousand to the dozen...you need to keep up with them, don't try and slow them down to a pace they are not adapted too...you will never win and will feel dejected. Think games, songs, energy, action... and then a wind down activity.

Be firm with them, but have fun. You gain authority by being even tempered and fair, not by being over-emotional and reactive. Have a corner children who misbehave sit in or some other punishment, and be very clear about what you have to do to get put there. Make the rules of the class a game - get the students to help you run through them at the start of every class. Children this age respond very well to routine and consistency.

I don't advocate giving the students prizes during normal games. Thai children are naturally very competitive and it is unnecessary.

If you like the kids, then they will like you back. If you really cannot enjoy teaching them, then it will always be a struggle and maybe you should think about teaching an older age group. having taught both Ps and Ms...Ps are definitely the most exhausting, but also the most rewarding. If you are not getting any rewards then it isn't for you.

jfk it sounds like your lessons need to be a lot more energetic and upbeat. Colouring in, watching cartoons...these are all quiet activities that any 7 year old will struggle with for a long period of time. I suggest activities like this should be used in the second half of your lesson after you have tired the kids out with all your games. Don't just chop and change things according the children's reaction, plan your lesson carefully in advance. Search on the internet about how to create lesson plans...your activities should be relevant to what you are trying to achieve and to the stage in the lesson.

With younger students it is also a good idea to have some very quick games that you can throw in to keep the children energised, but ensure that your activities themselves use lots of language, body language and kinetic activity. Try to understand that at this age kids are thinking a thousand to the dozen...you need to keep up with them, don't try and slow them down to a pace they are not adapted too...you will never win and will feel dejected. Think games, songs, energy, action... and then a wind down activity.

Be firm with them, but have fun. You gain authority by being even tempered and fair, not by being over-emotional and reactive. Have a corner children who misbehave sit in or some other punishment, and be very clear about what you have to do to get put there. Make the rules of the class a game - get the students to help you run through them at the start of every class. Children this age respond very well to routine and consistency.

I don't advocate giving the students prizes during normal games. Thai children are naturally very competitive and it is unnecessary.

If you like the kids, then they will like you back. If you really cannot enjoy teaching them, then it will always be a struggle and maybe you should think about teaching an older age group. having taught both Ps and Ms...Ps are definitely the most exhausting, but also the most rewarding. If you are not getting any rewards then it isn't for you.

Brilliant!

A lot of teachers don't remember what it is like to be 7 years old. I certainly didn't when I first started teaching. If you try to get students to learn spelling, grammar or teach them sentences by writing (in something that looks like hieroglyphics to them) on the blackboard, you are destined for misery.

Because I have been there, and I feel your pain, here's one of my emergency lesson plans for when I have to teach wee tikes (I usually teach M4-M6 and Uni Students):

You'll need to prepare flash cards with people of appropriate ages:

1 card - a picture of a family

1 card - Mother

1 card - father

etc. etc. etc.

Drill these cards until the students are yelling them back at you. Be patient, when the kids start to learn it it will surprise you how involved they will get. They will all want to prove to you how smart they are. Also, mix it up a bit. There are tons of ideas on the net for drilling flash cards for kids... ways to make it fun, mini-games, etc.

Next, play a game with them that gets them up and moving around. Put the cards up on the board and write "father" next to the father picture, etc.

Divide your students into 4 teams.

Each team has one student facing the wall at the back of the classroom. You yell out a word, like "Mother!!", and the students race to the front of the room to touch the picture of the mother. The first team there wins a point. Laugh while they fall all over themselves trying to move each others hand and likely rip the picture off the board. Put it back up, smile and prepare for the next round.

Once they have gotten all of the pictures, make it tougher... take down the pictures but leave the words on the board (low enough for the kids to reach them).

Next, give each student from each group a piece of chalk. When you call the word the students have to run up to circle the correct word. Expect there to be a few superstars, a few kids who run quickly but then just stand there staring at the board and mostly kids running to circle random words. You will need to keep an eraser and piece of chalk in hand to correct their mistakes.

Finally, erase the board and make a Vocab list, writing all the words you have just used in large, legible letters on the board. The students should recognize most of them by now. Make each team say the words after you. If their pronunciation is good, give the team a point. The idea here is to get it into their heads that the words they need for the next exercise are already on the board. That way, you won't have 40 kids asking you how to spell "brother".

This should take you through the first 30 minutes of class. Now you have drained them of some of their energy, so hand out some blank paper and have them draw a picture of their family. Show an example on the board by drawing one member of your family well (as well as you can at least), then write that persons name next to the picture ("Father" or whatever). Afterwards, draw a quick sketch of the remaining members so that the kids get the idea that you need to draw the whole family. Point to the vocabulary list you've just made at the end of the last game and tell them they need each person in the picture. Handing out paper should be the LAST thing you do by the way, unless you want them all drawing rocket ships and monsters instead of their families.

Expect dozens of kids hanging off of you in the next 10-15 minutes trying to get you to sign or check off their pictures, or at the very least acknowledge their artistic abilities.

I have done this lesson several times with several different classes and the students always have a great time with it. Of course, how much fun the kids have is directly related to how much you smile, how much energy you have and how patient you are with them. I know this lesson seems really simple, but that's the point. There is a great disparity between the syllabus that some administrator writes and what you are able to teach 7 year olds. I've actually seen a Farang teacher forced to teach the periodic table to 8 and 9 year olds... so if you are getting pressure from your administration to teach things that are way to difficult for your age group, then either speak to someone about it or find another job.

It also doesn't hurt to speak Thai quite well. There is no way to tell 7 year olds to divide into 4 groups and for one person from each group to stand facing the wall in the back of the room but to do it in their own language, immersion fanatics can bite me. If you don't have a Thai assistant, invest 2-3 hours with a Thai tutor learning some "control" language for your classroom. Think of 100 phrases or words you wish you could say to your students and learn them!!

Good luck and have fun!!

Edited by Nash

Doing some classroom observations is an excellent, excellent idea. It is really difficult to grasp some of the concepts unless you see them in action.

hi,thanks for all your help, it is appreciated. i wont tell you where i live as i dont want critisism of the education system in the town i have lived in for 6 years.

i am trully inexperienced at teaching but this school needs help with english classes and the least i can do is try to help them and give something back.

i normally have a thai assistant and these classes are a breeze. however staff constraints and big student numbers dont always allow for me to have an assistant.

my cry for help was to get your input on how to control 40 kids when i am alone.

thank you to the moderator for removing the usual opinions that would have in no way helped me. if you dont have anything constuctive or helpful to tell me then just keep it to yourself. for the others, thank you very much for your input. it is very appreciated.

for you others, try to remember this forum is here to help not as an outlet for your many frustrations so you can take a bite out of someone else.

many thanks.

You have had some good pointers here. You can do it. Good luck.

Buy a magic trick book and/or Google. Show them a new one every few days. It will be 15 minutes you will have them under control.

Get them playing games!!! rock paper scisors,,, hide and seek,,, I spy with my little eye...

put a 'simple' crossword on the black board and / or anagram

My wife was a government Kindergarten II teacher. While she was Thai none of her students knew this because she never spoke Thai, she never had to, nor do you. Her lesson plan was broken up into 5-10 minute activities based upon the weekly theme. Such as a few vocab words then on to an art project, Ie coloring or making a "weather hat" which was a paper crown with different weather elements hanging off it.

On top of this she would just have an arsenal of things to do like a quick game to grab their attention.

Things like the ABC's (which at 1st grade you would be surprised how many cannot do a-z in the first semester.

You could start of a game by calling out a name or number and they stand up and say A then so on, you could reach Z and begin again.

Simon says works great for first semester as well when you are trying to teach commands like "be quite" open or close your book.

Read, read, read. Google scholar and other resources, sometimes have whole books in PDF format. Read up on child development a bit and read other successful ideas.

What do you do during your free periods? Are you asking other teachers if you can observe their classes?

As for everyone else, unless you are intending to get his job, get off his back. Just because someone got thrown to the wolves when they start does not reflect their desire or potential. Grammar and spelling on the internet shouldn't be weighed so heavily either, cause like OMGWTFBBQ Whargarbl!!!! ... :)

Edited by BlackArtemis

Read, read, read. Google scholar and other resources, sometimes have whole books in PDF format. Read up on child development a bit and read other successful ideas.

What do you do during your free periods? Are you asking other teachers if you can observe their classes?

As for everyone else, unless you are intending to get his job, get off his back. Just because someone got thrown to the wolves when they start does not reflect their desire or potential. Grammar and spelling on the internet shouldn't be weighed so heavily either, cause like OMGWTFBBQ Whargarbl!!!! ... :)

I think you make 2 (out of 3 :D ) good points here.

The last couple of years I was an administrator in the States, more and more teachers were coming to me and telling me about wonderful lesson plans they had found online. With some struggling teachers I began looking for such lesson plans. There is just a ton of stuff out there.

The observing thing is also very important, especially for "second career" teachers. Each content area has its own little bag of tricks. Years ago when I wasn a geosciences teacher, I got stuck with one class of 7th grade American history. No problem I thought...I'm a bit of a history buff. Well, I knew my history, indeed. What I didn't know were all the little tricks social studies teachers know about their content. That's where observations can come in so handy.

As to those of us who have gotten on the OP...I really do wish him the best, both for his own sake and especially for the sake of the kids. Those of us who take pride in our profession, get a bit sensitive about this general topic. We feel there is a difference between mastering the teaching/learning process and "playing school". Back in the States my district had a fairly strong program to assist those who wanted to enter teaching as a second career. It was quite interesting...of those hires we had at my school about half turned out very strong, but the other half were failures and left the profession, with the key point being that they just didn't get how working with children was different than working with adult colleagues. But, in this case, the die is cast. Best of luck to the OP, stick with it, and keep learning!

I think you make 2 (out of 3 :D ) good points here.

The last couple of years I was an administrator in the States, more and more teachers were coming to me and telling me about wonderful lesson plans they had found online. With some struggling teachers I began looking for such lesson plans. There is just a ton of stuff out there.

The observing thing is also very important, especially for "second career" teachers. Each content area has its own little bag of tricks. Years ago when I wasn a geosciences teacher, I got stuck with one class of 7th grade American history. No problem I thought...I'm a bit of a history buff. Well, I knew my history, indeed. What I didn't know were all the little tricks social studies teachers know about their content. That's where observations can come in so handy.

As to those of us who have gotten on the OP...I really do wish him the best, both for his own sake and especially for the sake of the kids. Those of us who take pride in our profession, get a bit sensitive about this general topic. We feel there is a difference between mastering the teaching/learning process and "playing school". Back in the States my district had a fairly strong program to assist those who wanted to enter teaching as a second career. It was quite interesting...of those hires we had at my school about half turned out very strong, but the other half were failures and left the profession, with the key point being that they just didn't get how working with children was different than working with adult colleagues. But, in this case, the die is cast. Best of luck to the OP, stick with it, and keep learning!

I completely agree that as teachers we want to be sure we and others are providing the best education for students. That is not my gripe, my gripe is that tons of bitter people in here who may or may not be teachers make one or two line posts that offer nothing but hate and ill wishes.

Thailand is not the west, it can not be held to the same standards. There are plenty of government schools who are paying 20-25k a month for positions such as the one the OP has. These jobs are not sought after by teachers with credentials or lots of experience, they are essentially the proving grounds. I myself was thrown to the wolves and with my 1 month Tefl and my BA in family Psych, I was in no way properly prepared for the job at hand. I felt lost and like I was doing a great disservice to my students and the school. Until I met someone willing to help me and show me what I was doing right and wrong. I was lucky, that person was one of the teachers at the school. A Kindergarten II teacher, who now happens to be my wife.

Had this not happened I might have quit, I would not have been fired, simply because I was white and spoke English, that's really all most parents and administrators care about at a Government school.

Now after 2.5 years in Thailand I am just about to finish my first year of my second degree here in the US, a BSED Biology.

So the thing is this, I too felt over whelmed and had no where to turn, just like the OP. But I was met with care and a helping hand. Many here like to rip into others here and it's pretty disheartening. We have no idea what type of person the OP is, but I like to think that they are someone who truly wants to succeed in this profession and make a living while being a positive influence on Thailand's youth. Giving him constructive criticism without posts filled with barbs is one way we can do it.

Phetaroi: I was in no way meaning to single you out or seem to be backlashing against you. I just wanted to use your response as a way to further my original. :D

JFK I am a veteran of a few months teaching myself and a couple of things I have learned in my short time may or may not apply to your situation. I was amazed by how restless my students were and I struggled with this. Spoke with my co-ordinator and he told me to get the kids to clear everything from their desks..... everything means everything. I begin every lesson with this. It works really well. I am no longer interrupted by banging rulers, pencils being dropped, and everything else they have.I get them to fold their arms and sit properly, introduce what I have to deliver, usually only a few minutes and then they can get ripped into it with as much noise and mayhem as they want. But you need to have your content ready. Second, I reckon for content you'll do very well to introduce a writing activity in your classes.... many older kids struggle with this because they were allowed to develop bad habits at the age of your kids; for instance they do not know how to form letters. I have developed an activity with some young kids called Karate Writing where we swing our arms around making karate chops and then I get them to write letter shapes using their fingers, so we do Karate "a", and make a few chops and then write it with our finger, and karate "b" etc; then we settle down to writing the letters with trace sheets. Armed with an eraser I rub out poor efforts and make the kids rewrite. Now you could link this type of activity to flash cards and other things. I also see real improvement in their writing.

Your post is good as it has triggered a lot of useful comment. Good luck and do come back with more issues!

Just a little reverse psychology, not having read the complete thread since it came up.

It's probably slightly easier dealing with a rampant mob of 45 prathom 6 students than mattayom 3 or 4 students, (some of which might be big enough to intimidate the lone ESL teacher) but the same thing can apply to classes within that range, and lower. Mattayom 5 & 6 are generally more civilised from my experience, after the taxi-drivers and army cadets have left school.

In a session or two, it's possible to identify the two or three ringleaders in any troublesome class, and those are the catalysts for classroom rebellion.

Rather than discipline them, be sneaky! Make a deliberate show out of nominating one troublemaker to wipe the blackboard, or one to call the roll if applicable. Stuff like that.

They are usually attention-seekers looking for a way to stand out from the rest. Offer them less disruptive mechanisms to get that attention, and if that doesn't work, then stand at the front of the classroom, clench your fists by your sides , stare up at the ceiling and shout at the top of your lungs, "Ngiap!" (quiet) That is teacher failure.

Edited by SeanMoran

Spoke with my co-ordinator and he told me to get the kids to clear everything from their desks..... everything means everything. I begin every lesson with this. It works really well. I am no longer interrupted by banging rulers, pencils being dropped, and everything else they have. I get them to fold their arms and sit properly, introduce what I have to deliver, usually only a few minutes and then they can get ripped into it with as much noise and mayhem as they want. But you need to have your content ready.

Yes, getting rid of useless distractions is very important. Another thing is proximity. Don't just stand up in front of the classroom. Move around the classroom, if a student in being inattentive stand right next to him for a short period. If he is tapping a pencil, keep right on teaching and take the pencil from his hand and place it down on his desk. You want the kids to think, "He's everywhere, he's everywhere!" :)

Another good thing to think about, when you have the time, is where is the focus in the class? If a visitor came and sat in the corner and observed, where would that visitor's attention be focused? Always on the teacher? That's a teacher-centered classroom, and the emphasis ought to be more on the students (student-centered classroom). Naturally, there are times when the teacher is up front and performing, but it ought not be all the time or even most of the time.

...nd if that doesn't work, then stand at the front of the classroom, clench your fists by your sides , stare up at the ceiling and shout at the top of your lungs, "Ngiap!" (quiet) That is teacher failure.

You bring up an interesting point here. Very occasionally having to raise your voice can be effective. Doing it frequently results in it not being effective at all.

I'm no expert either.

I did teach for about 1 year. It took me 2 years to speak some Thai - maybe an exageration.

Now it's nealy 10 years later.

I really respect someone who can do Thailand as a respected teacher - even if you don't feel very respected :-)

Nearly No one is going to get the $3,000 a month teaching job - the most I made was nearly $800.00 - Wow - that was my highest month and took some shmoozzing. I showered at 4AM and got home after 10PM - many times. What a blast. I had 3 jobs including full time Monday - Friday.

Now I weigh about 190 pounds. I lost about 20 pounds that year.

Teaching English in Thailand is an adventure - short lived as it might be. Don't count it in dollars or baht.

My down fall was all the Women - and trying to balance daytime and night. Eventhough I had a love of my life - it all went to hel_l in a hand basket.

Now ten years later - I could do it again - accept I can't be crazy. My Thai Wife has given me 2 Kids.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel for the OP. I've just started my first teaching job and have two classes of M3s that are giving me the a**hole.

As I try and put out one fire another one springs up and I'm back to square one.

Had a Thai teacher come in and b*ll*ck them for being late and they piped down for a few minutes but were then off again. I walk out at home time wanting to quit but after the weekend I calm down the start again the next week.

Anyone got any tips for keeping the bigger ones entertained/under control?

This thread has gone off-topic from the original post, but I think we'll leave it as such. The title is roughly about behavior although the OP is talking about 7 year olds.

HalfSquat M3 is one of the most difficult ages to deal with. Try not to lose your cool. Students often sit just too long--at our school they seldom leave the classroom and they become very, very restless. Feel free to have them do some standing--such as asking/answering questions in unison. M3 don't respond quite as well as a little younger, but have the boys stand and ask the question and girls stand and answer.

Anything that helps them re-focus their attention is good. I try to mix some speaking with some writing, giving 5-10 minutes to each.

Also remember, some kids don't listen and don't care. You can't cure that problem. Just try to make sure they aren't interfering with the learning of other students.

I teach all 10 M1 classes at my School. I teach at a government school and I have 3 hrs a week with the english programme kids and 1 hr with the normal programme. I only started teaching a month and a half ago but i am enjoying it so far. The only time i get angry is when i leave classes and my lesson has failed, mainly down to me either over/under estimating their exisiting knowledge and my material fails.

What i have found to work with my classes (44 in each) is to make them compete against each other. I Split the class in 4 and keep the teams the same every week. I start each team with 10 points for being quiet. If anyone in their group talks to much, hits someone, trys to sleep or doesn't listen when i ask them i take points off. So far the kids love the competition and shut up immediately if i take points off a group. I am however dreading the day when they figure out that the points mean nothing.

I have classes where there are groups of kids normally guys that just dont listen or are part of the class/lesson. The first two weeks i was at complete lost what to do with them as i was spending 1/3 of my class trying to keep them quiet. I kept them after class one day and explained that if they don't want to learn thats fine, just stay quiet, i explained they were 5 and i had 45 they understood and the next class they stayed quiet and at the end of class i told them they were good and thanks. I explained then that they have english for 6 more years and at least 1 hr every week. I teach the easy stuff in year 4 and 5 it will be harder if they don't learn now. The next couple of classes anytime any of them should any interest i would get them to answer easy questions.

In my last class yesterday i decided to just play a word puzzle with colours, first they could see the spelling of the colours and find the words and then the next puzzle they just had to find 15 colours. 4 of the 5 guys and one guy especially was up at the board getting answers, the ring leader of their group laughed at them and shouted some abuse at them for learning but the other just dismissed him and cont'd to play and be part of the class. Happy days!! i hope it cont.

Try making them compete, try points for being quiet and ignore. you have a duty to all your class and you cannot waste time with students who do not want to learn, only encourage when they do want to be part of class.

Thats probably all <deleted> but its worked for me so far.

Best thing is to take a good look at the material (students books) the kids have. Are there words for the kids to read? If yes then check if the kids have sufficient enough phonemic awareness (particularly phonics) to read such words. I doubt that the kids have this yet.

Change the material by finding something that will support the teaching of phonemic awareness, emergent literacy and then in the second year slowly get into phonics and more sound manipulation games. Always base your lessons on stories as children the world over love to hear stories. Once the children have basic phonics then find texts that are decodable. Look for simple CVCs progressing into CCVCs and CVCCs etc. Finally advance to the advanced phonics components like magic e which changes the short vowel sound to a long vowel. Two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking (long vowel sound, that is.)

It isn't easy and you need a professionally developed program suited for teaching English as a foreign language rather than what is common in Thailand which is material for teaching English as a second langauge.

If there is anything here that is new to you just copy and paste into google and you will find plenty of reading.

Dr. Yael Bejarano from Israel has done some great work in this field and makes for good reading.

Students often sit just too long--at our school they seldom leave the classroom and they become very, very restless. Feel free to have them do some standing--such as asking/answering questions in unison.

Anything that helps them re-focus their attention is good.

Yup!

Although my circumstances are a bit different from TEFLERs' I can usually recognise when my kids are totally jaded from sitting in a same room all day.

I just used to tell them to grab their books and pencils and we will go sit outside under the trees.

A different environment every now and then works wonders. Ignore any Thai staff mutterings. They are your kids for that period so do what you think is best to get their attention.

Some good input here, thanks to all who have so far contributed- would like to remind our regular and new viewers that our forum is intended to support well-meaning teachers at all levels of experience, so keep the criticism constructive and can the catcalling. If you are having particular problems with any member on the thread or by PM you can always speak to a mod using REPORT or with a PM.

http://www.nipissingu.ca/education/mariacw...umpingModel.doc

Smilanich and Bennet are really worth looking at for behaviour. particularly the "Low Key" responses to behaviour.

I have completed L1 & 2 training with the Smilanich system and it does work. I mentor teachers. There are many strategies but key is "Winning Over". This takes time to get going but it will work. Meanwhile, ensure you have a strict routine. eg Students must line up and be silent before entering the class. If they don't get it right take the class out of the room and start again. Greet each student at the door - by name! Small chunks of learning activity are commenced with a "Signal to Begin" and "Signal to Stop" and have a signal for silence etc. Keep them moving along. Move about the class (DO NOT GET STUCK BEHIND A DESK). Use "proximity". Understand the "Planned Ignore". Use the "stare" and the raised hand for "I want you to stop that". Learn how to warn a child (Face child - raise hand palm outward and say "I want you to...." ) Deal with "Allies" first. After exclusion or "time out" have a "Wecome Back" strategy. Have contact with parents and meetings if possible. Explain that there are consequences for inapropriate behav.. and make sure that if you make a threat YOU FOLLOW THROUGH. Use individual contracts and have the student use a card that you sign off with marks out of 10 or whatever you feel will work. Roll play situations in your mind. Don't ask "What will I do if such and such happens", ask yourself "What will I do WHEN it happens"? Get involved with out of class activities.

Teaching is a tough gig but if you can get on top of it you will know you have made an impact on kids lives and you can most likely handle anyone and anything.

Good luck!