Amplifier

mike37

Just purchased a set of Bose 251 outdoor speakers for my home. Bose told me i could use anything from a 10 watt to 200 watt amplifier.

Has anyone got any advice on what size i should get and what is considered a good make. The only shop i really know in Numchai, so any other suggestions on where i can buy would be useful.

thanks,

10 Watts will suffice for most normal domestic use. I see people all the time with 100 Watt amps in their living rooms and the volume set at almost zero. You only need a 200W amp if you're planning to hold a Thai karaoke party in your back garden.

I'm baffled by the replies. Bose (whatever you might think of them) are not cheap, so why you would couple them with a cheap amp like a Crown (not the same company as the old Reel to Reel company) is beyond me. And the comment about 10 watts and a Thai karaoke party is just plain WRONG. A purist using a 10W tube amp in a small room might be in his own personal heaven but a 10W amp driving outdoor speakers will send you the other way, but it won't be personal. Everyone will suffer.

You should look for an amp of at least 50W from a reputable company like NAD, Rotel, Onkyo or the like. Expect to spend somewhere between 12-15k baht. I have no idea where you'd go in Pattaya but there are lots of decent places in BKK (so I suspect there are too in Pattaya). Blimey, even Emporium sells some decent amps, including NAD, though their prices are not necessarily the best.

I'm baffled by the replies. Bose (whatever you might think of them) are not cheap, so why you would couple them with a cheap amp like a Crown (not the same company as the old Reel to Reel company) is beyond me. And the comment about 10 watts and a Thai karaoke party is just plain WRONG. A purist using a 10W tube amp in a small room might be in his own personal heaven but a 10W amp driving outdoor speakers will send you the other way, but it won't be personal. Everyone will suffer.

You should look for an amp of at least 50W from a reputable company like NAD, Rotel, Onkyo or the like. Expect to spend somewhere between 12-15k baht. I have no idea where you'd go in Pattaya but there are lots of decent places in BKK (so I suspect there are too in Pattaya). Blimey, even Emporium sells some decent amps, including NAD, though their prices are not necessarily the best.

Can recommend the NAD amps used to sell them in the UK for many years good rich sound not Too!! expensive.

Check out "Nad 3020 BEE Reviews" on Google.

Has plenty of inputs, I use mine for TV,DVD and Computer with iTunes music and BBC iPlayer for TV/Radio good sound out all round.

Also has remote control.

What are you using as a source?

Denon AV amps could be a good choice - normally have a promotion on this years models as there soon to be outdated by 2010 models check out mahajak

So far i have bought some Bose 251 outdoor speakers. I intend to hook it up with a desk top computer for outside music. I do not intend to have it like a disco, but i am looking for a good quality sound.

is Mahajak at the south pattya/ sukimvit entrance?

thanks,

Denon AV amps could be a good choice - normally have a promotion on this years models as there soon to be outdated by 2010 models check out mahajak

So far i have bought some Bose 251 outdoor speakers. I intend to hook it up with a desk top computer for outside music. I do not intend to have it like a disco, but i am looking for a good quality sound.

thanks,

Pattaya Tai duck square - but they are moving soon to Sukhumvit

Don't spend too much on the amp, save some for a decent sound card for your desktop!!!

On Promotion at the moment

Denon AVR-1708SR . . . ปกติ 32,000 บาท . . . พิเศษ 11,900 บาท This will sort you out!!!

thanks,

Pattaya Tai duck square - but they are moving soon to Sukhumvit

Don't spend too much on the amp, save some for a decent sound card for your desktop!!!

On Promotion at the moment

Denon AVR-1708SR . . . ปกติ 32,000 บาท . . . พิเศษ 11,900 บาท This will sort you out!!!

Thanks for all your help