Where Are All The Maintenance People?

thaibeachlovers

Has the mayor sacked all the maintenance people in Pattaya? The beach walk hasn't seen ANY maintenance since he was elected, that I can see. It continues to disintigrate slowly. The holes get bigger, more sand covers the path. Undrained ponds whenever it rains. Even the flower beds have not seen any care, and the wooden rails have collapsed or been removed, allowing people to walk all over them. Rubbish is everywhere, light poles have fallen over, a wooden cover over a big hole sags more. Concrete manhole covers have been put back sticking up to catch the unwary. And what about those statues that used to line the path? Most have vanished. And this is what should be the center piece of "tourist Pattaya".

Beach sand washed away by the floods remains unreplaced.

Unattractive barbed wire fences along Beach and Second Rd, broken and obstructed footpaths, unsightly power poles in the middle of footpaths, dangerous cables hanging down, complete absence of footpaths in places, forcing pedestrians to risk their lives in the traffic, maniac drivers, completely unpoliced. And the traffic! Not a pedestrian crossing, anywhere. What a mess. I thought this was supposed to be a tourist resort, not a slum!

Sandbags continue to obstruct footpaths on Second road.

All those statements from City Hall after the recent flooding as to how they were cleaning the drains are just outright lies.

The mayors answer to flooding, let it run out to sea and pollute the water even more. Perhaps he doesn't want to spend any money on a proper solution, as we all know where it is really going!

Most outrageous of all though, the sidewalk from Bali Hai to the lighthouse. This facility cost Pattaya a great deal of money, and could have been a real asset. Unfortunately, it has been unrepaired for many years ( not just by the present incompetent- sorry incumbent ), and is pretty unattractive at present. Not likely to change as long as the speedboat mafia are allowed to park their boats wherever they wish. Not many tourists will wish to clamber past the illegally parked boats all over the pavement.

So the mayor is looking forward to a lot of high spending tourists to fleece! Well not if the word has got out about what a tip Pattaya has become. High class tourist resort, NOT.

Just building a few expensive malls and hotels does not make a place somewhere rich tourists want to visit. Well let them build; who cares if they go bankrupt? Not I, that's for sure.

Oh well, at least it keeps Pattaya safe for the mongers for a few more years!

OP you sound like a decent guy from previous posts here and on the TT .What the hel_l are you doing in Pattaya ?

Are you serious?

Good quality accomodation at affordable prices

70 TV channels, including local news, when I want to stay in

heaps to do when I want to go out

best show in the world every night on Walking Street

fantastic small cabaret at Malibu

amazing big cabarets at Alcazar and Tiffany's

hundreds of restaurants

great shopping

lots of new cinemas

don't have to worry about carrying passport or getting hassled by police

a bahtbus every 30 seconds for only 10 bht

convenience of a city with the dress sense of the beach

Yes there are some down sides, but it beats any other place in Thailand to just relax from the stress of working, IMO.

Just about fell out of the bahtbus the other day. There were some workmen on Second Rd by Soi 7 repairing the pavement.

At that rate, though, it will take about 20 years to work their way around Beach and Second!

PS. The sandbags have gone from Second Rd. Wow!

Edited by thaibeachlovers

LspYXW312437-02.jpgThis photo comparison is just one of the many good possible good sub-topics from the OP: This was taken 6 years ago across from pattayaland 1. If you want to see how much the environment has degraded in the last 5-6 years check it out, but do yourself a favor and do it from a baht bus

OP you sound like a decent guy from previous posts here and on the TT .What the hel_l are you doing in Pattaya ?

Are you serious?

hundreds of restaurants

great shopping

lots of new cinemas

Yes there are some down sides, but it beats any other place in Thailand to just relax from the stress of working, IMO.

Ha ,Ha ,and i thought you just came for the cheap readily advailable young ladies .

I can only agree with the OP, there have been many improvements in Pattaya, but once fixed appears its allowed to deteriorate again!

Some off the big companies that have invested here must be pulling their hair out with the Mayors lack of action!

What I find particuly annoying is the lack of action on the "quality" of vehicles on the road, they are allowed to pollute with both noise and emissions with no recourse, trucks tearing up the roads is a daily occurrence, but nothing is done, shops that are able to make your truck\motorcycle even nosier and more polluting proliferate in Pattaya.

The Police prefer to take action on "other" offenders!

I have lived in Pattaya a long time, many things I love, some I hate, until changes are made, the overall quality of living here will remain low, unless action is taken!

This is never going to happen.

Ah Well !

Are you serious?

hundreds of restaurants

great shopping

lots of new cinemas

Wooow then we can ride bus all day and watch tv at night(70 channels) :) ,after getting bua at Malibu.Walking street, Alcazar and Tiffany and Bua after eating restaurantfood,aaand shopping same same....O and watch Good movies :D Soon Indiana Jones make a a new movie about The treasure hunting in the ancient city Pattaya :D heh heh.

There is no concept of 'maintenance' in Thailand. Just build it, let it rot, demolish it and build anew. Makes you think twice of ever actually buying anything...

Its not just a maintenance problem,its also defective construction and materials.

Take for example that walkway with from Bali High pier along the breakwater out to the lighthouse.

The workers did very little substrate preparation before laying down the block walkway, they just put the blocks on a dirt birm just above and back of the breakwater.

Of course the water goes through the breakwater and has undermined out the walk way in places causing cave ins.

Also alot of the 8' lamp posts have fallen over, and counting, because the cheap metal or aluminum collar type braces at the junction at the bottom of the lamp post and the concrete base structure- are now made out of salts and oxides. And dont touch any metal along there!

Are you serious?

hundreds of restaurants

great shopping

lots of new cinemas

Ha ,Ha ,and i thought you just came for the cheap readily advailable young ladies .

A year ago and you'd have been correct. However, I've been taken out of the monger's life by a nice young lady ( could only happen in LOS, given that no equivalent ladies in my own country would even give me time of day; not that I'd be interested in them anyway, but that's another story ), so have to think of other reasons to stay in Pattaya.

Are you serious?

hundreds of restaurants

great shopping

lots of new cinemas

Wooow then we can ride bus all day and watch tv at night(70 channels) :) ,after getting bua at Malibu.Walking street, Alcazar and Tiffany and Bua after eating restaurantfood,aaand shopping same same....O and watch Good movies :D Soon Indiana Jones make a a new movie about The treasure hunting in the ancient city Pattaya :D heh heh.

After 10 years in London, I'd prefer Pattaya anytime. Certainly the cinemas are better than any there!