New Musical "playhouse"

john b good

I attended the "grand opening" of the new "Playhouse" on Monday 02 November. We had received complimentary VIP tickets thanks to a friend who moves amongst the musical and arty set here in Chiang Mai.

The "Playhouse" is situated in the old Simon Cabaret theatre on Chotana which you can access from either Chotana Road (or maybe Chang Puak Road as I'm not sure at which point the name changes)

Anyway's traveling north towards Mae Rim, swing in to the left at the Novotel and pass the Top's Supermarket and it's right there.

Alternatively you can come in from Santitam.

They have a generous sized car parking area.

Well, we got there at 18.30 with "the show" scheduled for starting at 19.00

As is often the case with "first nights and hiccups" we didn't get into the theatre until around 20.20. It was rumoured that they were waiting for the mayor to "cut the ribbon" TIT

The waiting time was spent imbibing the alcohol of your choice of which there was plenty available (until around 20.00 when they had run out of most selections)

There were a good selection of hors d'oeuvre' and canape's on hand to nibble on.

But after more than one and a half hours just standing there my feet were killing me.

We finally moved into the theatre and around 20.30 or shortly after the "show" commenced.

The people who opened this venture have gone to a lot of expense. The choreography, costumes and the scene settings were quite lavish.

They put on some exerpts from productions such as "West Side Story, and other productions, with some renditions of old favourites such as Mr Bojangles and others.

The downside was that all singing was 'lip-synced' and this did nothing for the overall performance.

Some of the performers produced some well rehearsed dance routines.

In summarising, I just cannot see this venture succeeding as the music selection would be unknown to the majority of Thai's (maybe better recognised by the 'hi-so' guests on opening night) and for the farangs not enough of what might be considered really popular.

If they could not get some groups to put on stageshows such as "Chess, Phantom of the Opera, Cats, Jesus Christ Superstar, Oliver, Evita, etc., etc., I thing that they might have a goer.

Chiang Mai would not be the most arty or musical city in the realm and even Simon Caberet could not cut it for long before going belly up.

I would like to see it succeed but I have my doubts in it doing so. :)

Thank's to the people for extending an invitation to attend.

Edited by john b good

Thanks to john b good for the information. I'd seen the "Playhouse" signage when driving by to get to Tops and hoped that it might mean the venue was shaping up to house some kind of "live" performances. Having a theatre background myself (though too clumsy to be a hoofer and I don't dislike anyone enough to inflict my singing on them), it's one of the things I miss since moving to LOS from London (note to UG - I mean the one in England :) ).

Shame if it's all going to be lip-synch/mime - but, if well done, that can still be better than curling one's toes while listening to bass-challenged Thai vocal chords trying to reach Howard Keel notes. It also disposes of one of the problems that's the bane of many venues - lousy mics/PA systems. I've also listened to more than a few live Thai performers "doing" ballads with English lyrics that they've plainly learned phonetically.......... and with unintentionally amusing results (kind of like Elvis singing in German).

Good suggestions for forthcoming shows to be featured - mainly Rice/Lloyd Webber hits that are known almost worldwide and across generations. Thinking of older vintages like Howard Keel, I guess we're unlikely to see excerpts from any musical that Yul Brynner made famous............ On the other hand, it could be useful to include some traditional Thai dance/music in the mix - there seems to be plenty of such performers around to provide it.

You mention good choreography and dance routines. While most of what we see from from background dancers fronted by singers in Thai stage shows on TV looks like it has come from a near-comatose choreographer, I've also seen shows here in the past (years ago, there was a drag show venue at some place opposite CMU on upper Huay Kaew Road - long since disappeared) that were impressively inventive and slickly performed - not just go-go bar type. Interesting to know where the performers are from - e.g. the Pattaya show circuit or locally recruited?

Agree it would be good to see CM gain a decent larger scale live performance venue - and also that it's difficult to get the mix right to ensure enough "bums on seats". We should try to support the place while they get it sorted and bedded in...... otherwise it'll just die before it gets going properly.

I was lucky as a youngster. My father was in the military and on our Base they had a famous theatre where the cast would practice different plays and then go out on the road and do the show all over the country at different military bases. They had employed many excellent actors over the years - many went on to TV and the movies.

We got to see all these shows for a minimal price and I cannot remember a bad one.

I certainly hope that the Playhouse goes on to educate and entertain the citizens and residents of Chiang Mai!

(note to Steve2UK - I'm pretty sure that the plays in London, England outdo anything in London, Texas).

Thanks to john b good for the information. I'd seen the "Playhouse" signage when driving by to get to Tops and hoped that it might mean the venue was shaping up to house some kind of "live" performances. Having a theatre background myself (though too clumsy to be a hoofer and I don't dislike anyone enough to inflict my singing on them), it's one of the things I miss since moving to LOS from London (note to UG - I mean the one in England :) ).

Shame if it's all going to be lip-synch/mime - but, if well done, that can still be better than curling one's toes while listening to bass-challenged Thai vocal chords trying to reach Howard Keel notes. It also disposes of one of the problems that's the bane of many venues - lousy mics/PA systems. I've also listened to more than a few live Thai performers "doing" ballads with English lyrics that they've plainly learned phonetically.......... and with unintentionally amusing results (kind of like Elvis singing in German).

Good suggestions for forthcoming shows to be featured - mainly Rice/Lloyd Webber hits that are known almost worldwide and across generations. Thinking of older vintages like Howard Keel, I guess we're unlikely to see excerpts from any musical that Yul Brynner made famous............ On the other hand, it could be useful to include some traditional Thai dance/music in the mix - there seems to be plenty of such performers around to provide it.

You mention good choreography and dance routines. While most of what we see from from background dancers fronted by singers in Thai stage shows on TV looks like it has come from a near-comatose choreographer, I've also seen shows here in the past (years ago, there was a drag show venue at some place opposite CMU on upper Huay Kaew Road - long since disappeared) that were impressively inventive and slickly performed - not just go-go bar type. Interesting to know where the performers are from - e.g. the Pattaya show circuit or locally recruited?

Agree it would be good to see CM gain a decent larger scale live performance venue - and also that it's difficult to get the mix right to ensure enough "bums on seats". We should try to support the place while they get it sorted and bedded in...... otherwise it'll just die before it gets going properly.

The Gate Theater Group has been producing English Language Theater in Chiang Mai for almost 4 years. No musicals as of yet. But their production of Neil Simon's comedy, The Odd Couple is first rate and will be back for a second run starting this Friday.

I think they deserve community support as well.

I dropped by there this afternoon - wanting to get a closer look at the poster that featured in dave 2's pic (seems to mention a number of performing arts - but I couldn't read much from the pic) and to try and get a leaflet/brochure. Poster nowhere to be seen and they were out of leaflets.

Talking to the guy behind the foyer bar, the current regular show seems to be the same as john b good saw - 2 shows per evening at 8pm and 10pm. All seats cost 500 baht and, if I understood correctly, the show runs 55 minutes. Cheap by big city (e.g. London) standards, obviously - but I don't see many in CM forking out that much for under an hour's show...........