Married Abroad, Can I Get A Divorce Is Thailand?

OlRedEyes

I got married to a girl in the UK, and years later got divorced in Australia, so it can be done. It included advertising in UK papers, statutory declarations, etc.

Usually a Thai lawyer here will advise you, fiercely overcharge and demand money for bribes. But I'll bet it can be done......

I got married to a girl in the UK, and years later got divorced in Australia, so it can be done. It included advertising in UK papers, statutory declarations, etc.

Usually a Thai lawyer here will advise you, fiercely overcharge and demand money for bribes. But I'll bet it can be done......

I used to think one must get divorced in the country the marriage took place, till I read something about a case like yours today, so it must be possible.

Thai lawyer, or any lawyer here in Thailand, sorta gives me cold shivers up my spine.... That's why I'm mining for some info first. I'll try and have a talk to the Thai authorities, though I suppose a lot may depend on who I talk to......

I would have thought that something like this would be handled throught the embassy of the country where the marriage was registered. If the marriage was in a different country & neither partner was Thai, it wouldn't appear to have anything to do with Thailand at all.

I used to think one must get divorced in the country the marriage took place, till I read something about a case like yours today, so it must be possible.

Thai lawyer, or any lawyer here in Thailand, sorta gives me cold shivers up my spine.... That's why I'm mining for some info first. I'll try and have a talk to the Thai authorities, though I suppose a lot may depend on who I talk to......

It realy depends on the country you are living, if you can divorce there. In the case of Thailand I doubt it, as they have a problem with recognising foreign court decisions.

I would ask a lawyer, some of our legal forum sponsors are always willing to answer simple questions if they have time.

About 2 weeks ago in Brunch magazine in the Sunday Bangkok Post There was an article about this in the Expat Council section.

I believe there is an email contact there.

The guy seems to know quite a bit about laws affecting westerners in Thailand.

Might help.

Edited by Kickstand

A couple of thoughts on the matter.

First, after that amount of time have you checked to see if she’s divorced you yet?

Would your home country/state or country where you married recognize a Thai divorce? Have you checked with your embassy or home country authorities?

An Umphur divorce is out of the question as it requires both to be present.

You would need to divorce through the Thai court system.

Would the Thai courts accept the case? Your lawyer says they will, sometimes lawyers make mistakes; get a second opinion before proceeding.

Hope things work out well. I’ll be interested to hear the outcome.