Thaksin Appointed As Adviser Of Cambodian Government

webfact

It's amazing to see how many people here actually believes the current government are any less corrupt compared with previous ones. For anyone living here pre-Thaksin, you would know how many things actually improved during his time. Not without faults, but the situation for most Thais improved considerably. To even think that corruption in high places ended with Thaskin's departure is nothing more than pure stupidity.

But then again, we do rely on the Infinite monkey theorem here. :D

Yes, posters her are emotive about Taksin, this unfortunately short circuits any chance of rational or analytical thought for even those that were capable of it. The rah rah nonsense you read here quite frankly is boring and repetitive for the most part. Can only assume most here are recent arrivals.

Completely agree!

Time for a proper constitution and proper elections if you ask me.. May the best man win..!

Anyone got one of those sick bags you get on the plane? :D:)

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, posters her are emotive about Taksin, this unfortunately short circuits any chance of rational or analytical thought for even those that were capable of it. The rah rah nonsense you read here quite frankly is boring and repetitive for the most part. Can only assume most here are recent arrivals.

Recent arrivals? And the recently departed, re-visiting. :)

Interestingly comical Thaksin comments on Twitter over this issue:

"I would ask for permission from the Thai people to give economic advice to the government of Cambodia, according to my appointment by King Sihamoni, until I can return to the country."

''In fact, I have already served as an adviser to other governments. I take this as a way of keeping my brain sharp, otherwise it could become rusty if I don't keep abreast of new ideas and developments."

"I want to work for the Thai people, but I cannot. They don't even let me carry a Thai passport."

''They would also strip me of my police rank and recall my royal decorations. They would even take away my nationality and race, if they could, only because I worked too hard."

''Our neighbour is not an enemy. Since we have to be close to each other forever, it's better that we should be friends."

Guilty as carged.

Mea Culpa

But it is difficult to quote a post from 4 pages back in an rcent post.

Guilty as charged sentenced to two hours of thaksin propaganda :)

Hey, I admitted being guilty.

So, I should have right to half of the sentence.

The sentence should read:

Guilty as charged. Sentenced to FOUR hours of thaksin propaganda :D

Police step up security at Cambodian embassy

Police have stepped up security outside the Cambodia Embassy following the strained bilateral relations.

In related developments, Thailand has stepped up security measures at the Cambodian Embassy in Bangkok. More personnel are assigned to provide security at the embassy

Saw this on Yahoo News and had to chuckle at the visual in regards to the words in the above news. :D

It's a good thing security was "stepped up" as otherwise both men would be sitting. :) Lordy, I love Thailand. :D

captb6c5d48d11124e529f2.jpg

A Thai police officer, left, and a security guard stand guarding outside the Cambodian Embassy in Bangkok, Thailand Friday, Nov. 6, 2009. Thailand and Cambodia recalled their ambassadors from each other's country in a diplomatic spat over Phnom Penh naming fugitive former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra a government adviser.

Does anyone know if the laws of Thailand, the constitution, would allow or permit having a bounty put on the head of a convicted felon and bail jumper?

If allowed, it may be time to put forth such a bounty. Take the money from Tacky's 2 billion on hold.

Maybe something like 5 Million US....

You wouldn't have to bring him all back,,,,,, as the bounty would be on the head.

Sure would make for an interesting life for Mr. Thaksin.....

Probably could make a good case for inciting riots, and/or insurection too.

Excellent idea! The old Khmer Rouge humanitarian Hun Sen might actually capture Thaksin or do to him what he and his comrades did to nearly 3 million Cambodians.

Hahaha, you are a moderator, wow...

If you by elections are referring to people going to the booths, then neither Samak nor Somchai won anything. They were part of a party that got a minority of the votes and then later formed a coalition government under which Samak was first PM elected before he was removed from the position for his unconstitutional salary from the tv show. PPP then THEMSELVES decided to not re-instate him. They could have, since the constitution is still flawed. But they chose not to. Nothing else. Somchai was voted out from the MPs in the coalition, not by any election by the population. All according to process. Same as Abhisit.

But again we see that when facts fail, some of you invent their own...

Please tell me the different between the elections of Samak, Somchai and Abhisit. Mail the answer on a postcard.

Hi young TAWP

you have been sleeping in class again ....

The lack of legitimacy of the current government comes not from the coalition they formed to achieve power (however unsavory) .... but rather from the circumstances created to allow them to actually do so!!

After failing to secure power in elections in 2001, again in 2005 and watching in relief as a coup prevented yet another rout in 2006 (only weeks before scheduled national elections) The Democrats once again faced the electorate after every possible road-block had been placed in front of their opponents by the Junta ... and in December 2007 ...... oh well .. you know........ Shock !! Horror !!

In this election the PPP was (I think) 14 seats short of an outright majority and after yet another electoral slaughter of the Democrats I find it pretty difficult to describe The Democrats as a "legitimate" Government of anywhere. The PPP had won against all the odds (and expectations of their enemies) then had to endure the non-righteous indignation of the perennial losers --- this -- with some help from their powerful and desperate friends----- drove the truly legitimately elected Government into the wilderness.

Now the Democrats-- who have not won an election in living memory ----- were able to finally grasp power.

Legitimate ????? :) Certain to win???? :D

But all of this is but history

lets see how the Democrats do next election without:

Martial law in force in 26 of 76 provinces.( No prize for guessing which provinces!)

Army commanders ordering forces to vote against PPP.

Most PPP leaders banned.

Courts being instructed to act against the opposition by a very high power.

Maybe not operating under military-appointed drafting committees constitution.

The CNS acting illegally to destroy the opposition party

Democrats buying votes.(charged by EC but found not guilty :D )

ETC. etc.

let us wait and see..... :D

Yesterday: Goverment played cool, no consequence etc etc. Today, ant hive is panicking. The puppets started to react to strings pulled it seems. Suthep trying to play cheeky and propose Rainsy as economic adviser for thailand just to get slapped by the same Rainsey.

Hahaha, you are a moderator, wow...

If you by elections are referring to people going to the booths, then neither Samak nor Somchai won anything. They were part of a party that got a minority of the votes and then later formed a coalition government under which Samak was first PM elected before he was removed from the position for his unconstitutional salary from the tv show. PPP then THEMSELVES decided to not re-instate him. They could have, since the constitution is still flawed. But they chose not to. Nothing else. Somchai was voted out from the MPs in the coalition, not by any election by the population. All according to process. Same as Abhisit.

But again we see that when facts fail, some of you invent their own...

Please tell me the different between the elections of Samak, Somchai and Abhisit. Mail the answer on a postcard.

Hi young TAWP

you have been sleeping in class again ....

The lack of legitimacy of the current government comes not from the coalition they formed to achieve power (however unsavory) .... but rather from the circumstances created to allow them to actually do so!!

After failing to secure power in elections in 2001, again in 2005 and watching in relief as a coup prevented yet another rout in 2006 (only weeks before scheduled national elections) The Democrats once again faced the electorate after every possible road-block had been placed in front of their opponents by the Junta ... and in December 2007 ...... oh well .. you know........ Shock !! Horror !!

In this election the PPP was (I think) 14 seats short of an outright majority and after yet another electoral slaughter of the Democrats I find it pretty difficult to describe The Democrats as a "legitimate" Government of anywhere. The PPP had won against all the odds (and expectations of their enemies) then had to endure the non-righteous indignation of the perennial losers --- this -- with some help from their powerful and desperate friends----- drove the truly legitimately elected Government into the wilderness.

Now the Democrats-- who have not won an election in living memory ----- were able to finally grasp power.

Legitimate ????? :) Certain to win???? :D

But all of this is but history

lets see how the Democrats do next election without:

Martial law in force in 26 of 76 provinces.( No prize for guessing which provinces!)

Army commanders ordering forces to vote against PPP.

Most PPP leaders banned.

Courts being instructed to act against the opposition by a very high power.

Maybe not operating under military-appointed drafting committees constitution.

The CNS acting illegally to destroy the opposition party

Democrats buying votes.(charged by EC but found not guilty :D )

ETC. etc.

let us wait and see..... :D

Thaksin has destroyed any chance of PTP regaining power, with this Cambodia fiasco. Bad for Thaksin and PTP, good for Thailand, without a doubt.

It is quite possible Mr T could be labeled as a traitor no matter what he says on twitter. If the NE folk start thinking this way then this is a disastarous move for him unless the plan is much more convoluted than I think. Oil concessions using Dubai connections could be part of it but there is the very real possibility of either war civil or between Thailand & Cambodia. A very dangerous & slippery slope indeed & the price on Mr T's head probably just rose drastically.

I find it hard to believe Mr T took this path considering many of his supporters will now turn against him.

Just before the ASEAN Sumit, Khmer PM said he would let TS stay in Cambodia, for extradiction treaty does not cover political conviction. He may even offer an adviser to PM position to TS. Abhisit then threated Khmer PM to concentrate only on the summit, or face the consequence of Thailand pull out its assistance to Cambodia if he would bring TS case up to the public again. Hun Sen did keep quiet, and Thai PM thinked he had won. Then early this week, the Khmer King Sihamuni endorsed the appointment of TS to PM advisory post. Abhisit is enraged. Firt he said it will not effect the two countries relation. Dr. Panithan saying the same, but added there would be some complication in the relation. A few hours later, Abhisit order teh Thai Ambasador pull out, and a review to all agreement/ treaties it has with Cambodia. My points is it is true to many that TS case is a political motivate, so my dear Abhisit had made a wrong move threatening Khmer PM. And it blown up out of proportion to pull back the ambassodor for TS appointment. Now for me, Abisit is as a child throwing tantrum, and TS would be viewed as a traitor by many Thai if he accept the post. Two Thais loss their status que, one Khmer PM is able to rid dependency to neighbour country, make himself a braveheart David who breaks the giant. :)

That's quite an imaginative post, you should get a creative writing prize.

Anyway, we notice that Red leaders are silent. They're not saying anything, which is remarkable. Or is it?

Red leaders aren't breaking from Thaksin, none are declaring him a traitor much less denouncing him. Reds aren't questioning Thaksin concerning Hun Sen and Cambodia. No Red demonstrations have been scheduled to hang the 'turncoat' Thaksin in effigy, or literally. Reds aren't shaking their heads either.

The silence of the Reds is instructive. At least so far.

Edited by Publicus

Ahh yes a another RED revolution this time in neighboring country Thailand. Get rid of the pesky Elite so we can all be peasants again, its unfair for people to have more money and education than you... unless of course you are chinese!

That would restrict Sondhi and hos recently created Democratic Party from being a candidate as well.

The Democratic Party was created only recently, and by Sondhi, are you sure of that ? :)

Sondhi elected leader of New Politics Party

BANGKOK: -- Media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul on Tuesday won a non-contested race to become the leader of the New Politics Party.

The installation of Sondhi's leadership took place at the first party convention following the completion of preliminary registration procedures.

Top contenders for party leadership, including interim leader Somsak Kosaisuk, withdrew their respective nominations to pave way for Sondhi's victory.

-- The Nation 2009-10-06

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Sondhi-Elect...Pa-t304285.html

That would restrict Sondhi and hos recently created Democratic Party from being a candidate as well.

The Democratic Party was created only recently, and by Sondhi, are you sure of that ? :)

BANGKOK: -- Media mogul Sondhi Limthongkul on Tuesday won a non-contested race to become the leader of the New Politics Party.

The installation of Sondhi's leadership took place at the first party convention following the completion of preliminary registration procedures.

Top contenders for party leadership, including interim leader Somsak Kosaisuk, withdrew their respective nominations to pave way for Sondhi's victory.

-- The Nation 2009-10-06

Ahh yes a another RED revolution this time in neighboring country Thailand. Get rid of the pesky Elite so we can all be peasants again, its unfair for people to have more money and education than you... unless of course you are chinese!

The Thai Chinese are an overseas Chinese community who live in Thailand. Official statistics show that six million people in 1987,[2] or about 14% of Thailand's population claim to be of Chinese ethnicity.[3] Extensive intermarriages with the Thais, especially in the past has resulted in many people who claim Chinese ethnicity with Thai ancestry, or mixed.[4] People of Chinese descent are concentrated in the coastal areas of Thailand, principally Bangkok.[5] They are well-represented in all levels of Thai society and play a leading role in business and politics.

(Source: wiki)

The Thai Chinese are an overseas Chinese community who live in Thailand. Official statistics show that six million people in 1987,[2] or about 14% of Thailand's population claim to be of Chinese ethnicity.[3] Extensive intermarriages with the Thais, especially in the past has resulted in many people who claim Chinese ethnicity with Thai ancestry, or mixed.[4] People of Chinese descent are concentrated in the coastal areas of Thailand, principally Bangkok.[5] They are well-represented in all levels of Thai society and play a leading role in business and politics.

(Source: wiki)

And?

Thaksin has destroyed any chance of PTP regaining power, with this Cambodia fiasco. Bad for Thaksin and PTP, good for Thailand, without a doubt.

Hi LawnGnome

Well ..... you may be right ... I prefer to wait & see a little !! I lack your ability to forecast Thai public opinion. Most of what I see in this thread is but wishful thinking on behalf of an extremely small non-voting minority with strong and frequently distorted vision.

If this matter relates to the Democrats chances of winning any new election at all ---- I really doubt there shall be any impact whatsoever.

The anti-Thaksin warriors for justice here seem to overrate Thaksins current importance and more importantly vastly underrate the depth of dislike for the Democrats in certain parts of the electorate. This dislike was strong before Thaksin became PM ---- it is no less strong now. Nothing to do with Thaksin.

-- The Nation 2009-10-06

Thanks for your correction.

The Democratic Party was created only recently, and by Sondhi, are you sure of that ? :D

-- The Nation 2009-10-06

Quite. The Democrats are a somewhat older party, currently leading the ruling coalition, and led by PM Abhisit. :)

Which correction having now been made, I'd agree with coalminer that I wouldn't wish Sondhi in power, any more than the new economic-adviser to Cambodia. :D

Quite. The Democrats are a somewhat older party, currently leading the ruling coalition, and led by PM Abhisit. :)

Which correction having now been made, I'd agree with coalminer that I wouldn't wish Sondhi in power, any more than the new economic-adviser to Cambodia. :D

Let's have a cold beer on that.

No one with a little bit of brains should let Thaksin or Sondji ever be in power.

But I fear that that is only wishful thinking .....

I can't work out which is funnier/sadder.

The comical political situation here which lunches from ridiculous to farcical and then over to a full out school boy 'who can pi$$ the highest' contest.

OR

The vitriol, bile and mis-guided passion coming from a load of foreigners here on this forum who have no say in Thai politics, are guests in this country and cannot effect any change

like this a lot. could not say it better.

The Thai Chinese are an overseas Chinese community who live in Thailand.

Thai Chinese are Thai Chinese, aka Sino-Thai. The descriptive ID term "overseas' Chinese is used by the People's Republic of China government to assert (erroneously) that all Chinese of the Chinese diaspora are first and foremost People's Republic of China Chinese. The Communist Party of China in the PRC government deludes itself to think this.

Hyphenated Chinese such as Sino-Thai, Fillipino-Chinese, Chinese-American accurately state the identiy and loyalty of the Chinese diaspora which in great numbers are loyal to their new homeland and which detest the PRC. Sino Thais for instance are Thai.

Don't get caught up in the PRC and its Orwellian fantasyland terminologies. Chinese textbooks for instance turn Orwell on his head to make the guy anti-British and anti-USA. (Big Brother does exactly that kind of perversion, doesn't he?)

Edited by Publicus

-- The Nation 2009-10-06

i am sure coalminer knows the Democrat Party and wasn't talking about them but the recently founded party NNP the political arm of the People Alliance of Democracy

maybe you don't know the People Alliance of Democracy and Sondhi L. otherwise you would have recognise that there is actually nothing so wrong that is it worth to start a heckler attack. for the future you don't need to try to be wise if to the newly founded PAD party is refered as Sondhis creation, his Democratic Party. it is perfectly clear what party was meant.