Dine For 99, Soi Diana

barnaby666

Before I commence my 'review' my credentials are merely those of an amateur engaged in a life time's research.

Who goes to a 99 baht for all-you-can-eat place looking for fine dining? You got the amateur part right anyway. :)

For those who don't want to read his wordy review I can summarize his feelings here: IT SUCKED

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I commence my 'review' my credentials are merely those of an amateur engaged in a life time's research.

Who goes to a 99 baht for all-you-can-eat place looking for fine dining? You got the amateur part right anyway. :)

Or if I am original would that offend you more? I think so. The armchair critic, never read a book but tunes in to discovery channel and likes quizzes, passes the comment 'mildly amusing'. Steady there. It'll be 'could do better' next. You enjoy your life without laughter from that under that stone you occupy. I bet you've got a condo to rent out? C'mon admit it.

Can I ask what you re-invent yourself as now you're an expert on Pattaya pure and simple. We've probably met, you and I. It's amazing just how many CIA, FBI, Seals, Special Forces, SAS, Intell Agents, Body Guards, 2nd Para, astronauts, brain surgeons and medical consultants I've met since I came here.And millionaires.

Oh, and literary experts by the bag full. People, like you, who have coloured more books than I could shake a crayon at. Bangkok Post Sudoko freaks who sit in coffee bars filling in yesterday's numbers at lightning speed. Mnnnnnn.

Oddly enough there's never an ex-plumber, baker or candle stick maker to be found. Perhaps they had to sign the Official Secrets Act so we never hear of them. People who have spent a life time behind enemy lines making cakes; hard as nails. Army chefs who dished out more pain by way of a sherry trifle than half the light infantry regiment.

As for the amateur reference. You miss the point. We are all experts by way of life's experience. Exceptions go to our couch potato friend. Experts in that we have fed until fed up. If not 'amateur' then we are 'professional' and do it for money. A bit like most relationships with Thai wives.

That is unless you've found the one who is different. Or, as a friend of mine [a regular 2 week holiday tripper] who claims: 'No, she is different.' But then he's right. She is. At least having viewed the fist sized adam's apple and crotch to match, she certainly is. But then who am I to question true love?

And who am I to question 'mildly amusing'? It could be a typo and you meant 'mildly abusing' and just wished to tell us about your weekend.

Or if I am original would that offend you more? I think so. The armchair critic, never read a book but tunes in to discovery channel and likes quizzes, passes the comment 'mildly amusing'. Steady there. It'll be 'could do better' next. You enjoy your life without laughter from that under that stone you occupy. I bet you've got a condo to rent out? C'mon admit it.

Can I ask what you re-invent yourself as now you're an expert on Pattaya pure and simple. We've probably met, you and I. It's amazing just how many CIA, FBI, Seals, Special Forces, SAS, Intell Agents, Body Guards, 2nd Para, astronauts, brain surgeons and medical consultants I've met since I came here.And millionaires.

Oh, and literary experts by the bag full. People, like you, who have coloured more books than I could shake a crayon at. Bangkok Post Sudoko freaks who sit in coffee bars filling in yesterday's numbers at lightning speed. Mnnnnnn.

Oddly enough there's never an ex-plumber, baker or candle stick maker to be found. Perhaps they had to sign the Official Secrets Act so we never hear of them. People who have spent a life time behind enemy lines making cakes; hard as nails. Army chefs who dished out more pain by way of a sherry trifle than half the light infantry regiment.

As for the amateur reference. You miss the point. We are all experts by way of life's experience. Exceptions go to our couch potato friend. Experts in that we have fed until fed up. If not 'amateur' then we are 'professional' and do it for money. A bit like most relationships with Thai wives.

That is unless you've found the one who is different. Or, as a friend of mine [a regular 2 week holiday tripper] who claims: 'No, she is different.' But then he's right. She is. At least having viewed the fist sized adam's apple and crotch to match, she certainly is. But then who am I to question true love?

And who am I to question 'mildly amusing'? It could be a typo and you meant 'mildly abusing' and just wished to tell us about your weekend.

:D Brilliant

Your 'William James' style rants don't impress anyone.

Yes, I wrote and meant 'mildly amusing'; your insinuations are noted.

Most people know who you really are, you won't last................

Whoa:

"... What choo talking about, Willis...?"

Guys, this food is just plain nasty......I am a big boy and can eat whole bunch but I could not get past one plate of this muck.

don't waste your 140 baht.

That's all part of his business genius. Because of the quality level of the food (and the monotonous choices on any given night) the degree of gluttony is self limiting.

Guys, this food is just plain nasty......I am a big boy and can eat whole bunch but I could not get past one plate of this muck.

This restaurant has never been on 3rd road. There is another Cherries Restaurant on 3rd road which is one of the best deals in Pattaya .. unlike this.

That's all part of his business genius. Because of the quality level of the food (and the monotonous choices on any given night) the degree of gluttony is self limiting.

in order for that strategy to work they would have to rely on a lot of first time customers.

because once you try, you will never go back.

This restaurant has never been on 3rd road. There is another Cherries Restaurant on 3rd road which is one of the best deals in Pattaya .. unlike this.

Wrong,dine for 99 used to be on 3rd and was open for about a year..

Edited by Dpolenz

in order for that strategy to work they would have to rely on a lot of first time customers.

I would go back from time to time. Sometimes, one does not feel like spending a lot on a meal, but wants something that tastes OK and is filling. Lasagna at Dine for 99 fits the bill perfectly. :)

I would go back from time to time. Sometimes, one does not feel like spending a lot on a meal, but wants something that tastes OK and is filling. Lasagna at Dine for 99 fits the bill perfectly. :)

:D

Definitely, I agree. And it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks, really. Go back if you like the food and think it's a good deal (even if it's only on lasagna night).

Actually, same thing happened to me a while back, when I reported here on this forum that my TGF and I had a pretty good & inexpensive meal at The Canton House at Central Mall. A lot of people didn't agree. They said the food there is not good, especially the "really bad" dim sum. Ok, but we enjoyed it... and that's all I could say. Anyway, no problem- to each there own. All restaurants are exactly the same in one regard: if a person has a good experience there, they probably will return. And that's the way it is... no?

An even better deal is the all you can eat breakfast buffet at the Apex, Lek or Dinah hotels for B 110.

I haven't tried the dine for 99 yet,and reading the replies I think it will never happen also,but if you categorize the apex and lek buffets under food then you have real issues.

I saw it on Tv and despite the meat head interviewer doing his best to manage joined up speaking [Pattaya gets what Pattaya deserves] I just about grasped that it was a] open b] cost UPWARDS of the purported 99 baht and; c] was popular.

I went.

Before I commence my 'review' my credentials are merely those of an amateur engaged in a life time's research. I have dined at the 'Ivy', which refused Britney, I have dined where Marco Pierre made the cakes [!], I have dined at the award winning road side cafe and I have dined on the finest and foulest throughout modern Europe. Including it's most eastern enclaves. I also left home because of Mother's cooking.

As for 99 baht .... fine dining it is not. Pasta night was an insipid mix of beef stock poured on un cooked pasta. Al dente it was not. Hardened like enamel on the inner and toughened like plaque on the outer it was. A second course was further diluted mush. The waitress blew her nose on the inside of her blouse, before serving the plate, an extra from Pulp Fiction - the scene in the back of the shop, emerged from the kitchen, tattoos and all, perused the diners and returned to the kitchen. Encouraged I was not.

Red plastic table coverings, camp site tables, chrome chairs, no napkins [ wipe your hands on the inside of your shirt?], a hot place, a filthily stained air con, patchwork painted ceiling decorated by the visually impaired, it was all lifted from the set of 'Little Voice.'

As for Bobby, he looked to all the world like any sex tourist without sleep for the best part of two weeks. The bags under his eyes could have carried home all the copy CDs, fake football shirts and designer sunglasses his mates would ever want. Or as he said: 'You do the math.' Things don't add up to 99.

The secret to the place's success is that the paid up members of Fat Club feel at home. They can gorge without guilt. They can pig with pride. They can open the facial orifice with an Olympian prowess. I saw 3 such gargantuans enter as a feeding party. It was frightening as between them they had the place surrounded. Bobby, clearly in a panic, could see a whole year's profits being wiped out in a single sitting.

It wouldn't matter how banal, flavourless, slop like the serving, these three flab freedom fighters meant to deal serious damage to the pasta and garlic knots. No doubt such cono-sewers of burger stand rancid fat would be in their element devouring pig swill servings. Tasteless, colourless, odourless boiled pap that brought back memories of the 1950's scout movement and bowel movement all in one. Slurps of appreciation resounded off the white padded cell like walls. And why not? You do have to be mad to eat there. That or glad - to be released at least.

Egon Ronay it isn't. The Farm maybe. Decent and edible it isn't. Cheap Charlie would hesitate.

The business won't survive as it is. Simply because already the quality Robin's Nest has an '89 baht' offer, the Leks, et al, are far superior and simply the best is Anton's at Naklua. The latter being Michelin starred compared with black holed '99 and all you can stomache-ache'.

It is reflective of Pattaya in that it is tasteless in your face tardy, lurid, rubbish. Bobby may well be [ and I think he is ] a smart business man and his model will move on, but currently he rides supreme in blending in seamlessly with 99% of Pattaya. It's coarse, it's vulgar, it's scraping the bottom of Pattaya's gastronomic sewer and it deserves every success because it suits the subteranean sub-species that visits here. The place is overly populated with 'Please God, don't let him have the seat next to me on the plane' types.

In summation, if your idea of life is a belly full of head splitting Chang, while seeking a street prostitute who is an honest girl, who will understand and love you forever and fine dining is a face down experience then 99 offers the best deal.

If it's not then maybe you were wise after all in listening to Mom.

Love it cept you spoilt it when you mentioned Antons in Naklua....which i rate as horrible but then in comparison maybe it itsn't!

If it really is a matter of cheap food at a reasonable price plenty of reasonable thai food around for less than 140baht.

I have a love, hate thing going on with 99 Bht. I've eaten there many times. I like the music but they really need more than 3 dvd's. The chairs are some of the most comfortable in Pattaya, and it has air-con. Bobby tries to keep the staff in line, although I don't think he has a clue how bad they are.

It has gone threw some changes since opening. The menu is no longer reflective of what you get on most nights. When it first opened, you could pick what you wanted to eat by check marks on a pad. Now you get more of a sampler plate. The staff speak almost zero english. I think that the staff are functionally retarded. I'm serious about that. There are 15 tables, and 7 servers and they still can't get it right. With all the tables numbered, I don't know how they can screw up so much of the time.

Here comes my big bitch. They started serving breakfast, so I showed one morning and ordered bacon eggs and pancakes. I got ham and eggs with pancakes no syrup. I told the server that I wanted bacon, not ham and I asked for syrup. There was no way I could get her to understand syrup. She took the pancakes that had sugar on them, and brought back pancakes with out sugar. I tried again to explain syrup, then gave up. Soon she came back with bacon, and took the lunch meat off my plate. I asked what she was going to do with the ham. Answer: give to someone else. RED FLAG !!

The next time I went in, I noticed that the server picked up a salad off another table where the people had left and gave it to me. I asked her three times "did you take salad from that table?" she never answered, I didn't eat it.

I went in again on chicken night, the BBQ chicken and the kabobs are good. I tried hard to explain that was all I wanted along with bread. Again, talking to a wall, so what do I care if they waste some food, I gave up. When I get it, there is no bread, and cole slaw instead of salad. I took what I didn't want to eat and put it in the cole slaw bowel. If you saw the look she gave me, you would know. They would have reserved what I hadn't eaten to someone else. She pointed and said something in Thai. I just shrugged my sholders and said "I no like."

I haven't been back. I believe in recycling, but not food from one persons plate to another.

It's coarse, it's vulgar, it's scraping the bottom of Pattaya's gastronomic sewer and it deserves every success because it suits the subteranean sub-species that visits here.

Who was it who said;

"Hearty fare breeds hearty people, haute cuisine breeds degenerates" ?

All you can eat, it's was obviously not in our case.

We were 2 people who went to "Dine for 99", 2 weeks after they opened.

Ordered from the 99 baht menu + 2 soft drinks.

Bill was B 328. (2x99 = 198 and 2x30 = 60 Total 258).

I had seconds, so that might be the reason. Anyway I was charged B70 more than expected. Didn't ask why, just accepted that "all you can eat" is "NOT all you can eat".

Won't be back, so many better choises.

I am going to pm you with my bank account details,every week i want 100k put in there for me.Don't ask questions just accept it.Cheers. :)

Edited by Dpolenz

It's coarse, it's vulgar, it's scraping the bottom of Pattaya's gastronomic sewer and it deserves every success because it suits the subteranean sub-species that visits here.

Who was it who said;

"Hearty fare breeds hearty people, haute cuisine breeds degenerates" ?

I believe it was Kim Jung IL... (or maybe Martha Stewart)

Edited by Michaelaway

• 2 months later...

is this place open anymore dine for 99. I was here when it first opened now it looks like it's closed and robins nest put up there price to 119baht. Which is good alot of people were there. I have noticed that alot of people in pattaya are hugely obese. I have tried my hardest when coming here to stay away from all you can eat cause you are really killing yourself. Some people are soo big in pattaya i think they eat and drink all day cause there bored....People have to understand the medical implications of eating so much crap. I mean all you cat eat breakfast. I have also noticed the ladies around the place they are not educated in dieting they all have stomach its hard to find hot girls. I will say sugar baby in diamond soi must have all the girls on strict diets cause they are fine.

I went on a Sunday and had 3 plates of "Sunday roast" not the best food but for 99 baht... no complaints from me.

I second that. Roast beef was tender and lean, sides very nice. Only went once as I tend to eat too much.

In that area, I find the best Sunday Roast dinner is at the Bowling Green, Soi Xzyte.

Roast Chicken or Roast Beef: 110 Baht/140 Baht.

I used to like to go there on Monday nights since that was Pasta night and they also had a buffet set up of Thai food, so I could have Pasta and the TG could have her stuff

Went in about a month ago on Monday and no Pasta, just Thai food buffet

Asked the Thai manager what was going on, why change the menu and the only answer I could get was "Boss make decision"

Won't go back :)

I went on a Sunday and had 3 plates of "Sunday roast" not the best food but for 99 baht... no complaints from me.

I second that. Roast beef was tender and lean, sides very nice. Only went once as I tend to eat too much.

In that area, I find the best Sunday Roast dinner is at the Bowling Green, Soi Xzyte.

Roast Chicken or Roast Beef: 110 Baht/140 Baht.

Correction Sunday 21st February 2010

Bowling Green (Soi Xzyte) offers Sunday roast dinners: Roast Beef: 140 Baht and Roast Pork 99 Baht.

Highly recommended!

:)