Want Buy Car

zabiiba

To the OP, I am afraid that you will have a very tough time to find any vehicle in good condition at that price, let alone a "jeep or something bigger". You are probably not very familiar with the Thai second hand car market - prices here simply can't be compared to the west, they are just so much higher.

Choices for you:

- Increase your budget

- Change to a smaller car

- Be prepared to do some mechanical work yourself

Good luck in your search

My friend back home just traded in his 10 year old BMW 740 with about 95000 miles on the clock. Lovely clean original car. The dealer gave him the equivalent of 98000 baht for it.

I reckon 98k baht in LOS would have you rolling behind the wheel of a 20 year old knackered Nissan Big M or Toyota Mighty X. 50k baht? Maybe a drinking water delivery truck with a bent chassis, no lights, no front grille and no driver's door.

My friend back home just traded in his 10 year old BMW 740 with about 95000 miles on the clock. Lovely clean original car. The dealer gave him the equivalent of 98000 baht for it.

I reckon 98k baht in LOS would have you rolling behind the wheel of a 20 year old knackered Nissan Big M or Toyota Mighty X. 50k baht? Maybe a drinking water delivery truck with a bent chassis, no lights, no front grille and no driver's door.

Pretty much so.

FYI, am selling my 1996 Toyota HiAce van, with 349,000 km on it, next week fo rbaht 100,000.

Mac

My wife got it into her head that she wanted a Daihatsu Mira.

So we went around a few locally.

Minimum was 80k up to 120k bht and they were all what I would class as poor condition.

Second hand values here in Thailand bare no relation to those in the west.

The best of luck finding anything in good condition for 50k.

^For 50k baht?

For about 90'k you'll find a 1988 honda accord in poor condition, but drivable.

For about 110 to 130'k you'll maybe find a not so nice Suzuki Jeep or a drivable Toyota Corona 1990

After that you can find a Hyundai Accent or Daewoo Nexia, about similar price. There is not many choice overhere.

I think you have to tripple your amount to find someting in a acceptable condition.

20 year old Suzuki Jeep with loads of owners + maybe a ex Phuket rental....

1988 Mazda Thunder battered pickip

Have seen a couple of 1990/91 Holden Estate cars under 70,000 baht

Did see not long ago in BKK a 1990 Toyota Stationwagon but that was double what you want to pay

There is an 1991 Opal Omega Estate with a Nissan engine not far from me for 78,000 baht looks rather tired and in pale blue looks not good in this colour.

I have owned a number of cars in LOS that I bought for around 50k (after a lot of bargaining), all of them needed at least 25k of work just to keep them on the road and although I enjoyed renovating and driving them I lost on all of them so I would say increase your budget. Every baht you spend will save you 2 baht on bills. 100k is getting near the mark. In my opinion safety should be your chief concern buying a car in LOS and although there are exceptions a car below 100k may well turn into your coffin.

• 2 weeks later...

I paid precisely 50,000 for my car - a 25 year old Corolla. Its a great little car, mileage reads 200,000 Km and it runs, drives, and looks great, but it was bought from my GF-at-the-time's middle class family. Without some connections it is hard to get anything decent at that price. However many people would not consider my car 'decent' as it goes only about 90KM/hour. Cold air though.

I would recommend a car like mine, or probably better would be one of the Mitsubishis - I think the Lancer is the main model - from the late 1980s or early 1990s. Or, perhaps a Nissan NV - the little truck-cars. (Personally I would never drive a truck, but I've ridden in many NVs and they're much more carlike than trucklike).

Actually I was just looking at a 27 year old Corolla for 30,000 baht, but it was a bit of a mess - ripped seats, dents here and there, a little rust, a bit of smoke when you rev it, around 330,000 KM. Still driving though.

If you go to an Auto auction, you would see some cars within that range. It may turn out to be a bit risky buy though, since you get only limited inspection opportunities. but if you know what you're doing, its certainly worth a try if you are out of cash.

^For 50k baht?

For about 90'k you'll find a 1988 honda accord in poor condition, but drivable.

For about 110 to 130'k you'll maybe find a not so nice Suzuki Jeep or a drivable Toyota Corona 1990

After that you can find a Hyundai Accent or Daewoo Nexia, about similar price. There is not many choice overhere.

I think you have to tripple your amount to find someting in a acceptable condition.

I'd advise strongly against any Honda made in Japan. Parts prices for them are astronomic. Check out place-of-birth before choosing a 'big H'.

Nissan, Mitsu. The more conventional, the better.