Thinking Of Visiting Cm

Dissolution

Hi all,

Was thinking of going up to CM from BKK in a few weeks with my girlfriend, for a change of scenery/environment. Planning to be there for say, 4 days/3 nights.

Any recommendations or advice on travel plans, accommodation as well as things to see/do? Also, I'm budgeting about 20k THB; is this suffecient?

Many thanks. :)

p.s. Was also thinking of renting a car while there, is this advisable?

There are lots of nice hotel rooms from 800 baht to about 2000 baht per night. Most include buffet breakfast. I'd forget about the car rental and just hire a tour guide depending on what you like to see. There have been many threads on what to see and do around Chiang Mai. The easiest way to get to Chiang Mai is by air, and then by taxi to a hotel (150 baht). That will maximize your available time for recreation or sight seeing. Tell us what you are interested in and we can supply some details. The central core of Chiang Mai is pretty small and you can walk right across town very easily if you are NOT handicapped. There are countless good places to eat in the city.

Woah, it's that expensive up there? 20k in a night at a pub? :)

No, I've never YET spent that much in one night, and that included two ladies as well. Bar drinks cost anywhere from 50 baht to 120 baht depending on what and where you drink. Western type meals might cost up to 500 baht if you like to live it up a bit, but you can dine very nicely for under 200 baht.

Thanks for the replies, guys. :)

So as per the advice, I'll be flying in, then taking a taxi to town. Was looking at perhaps booking a room at "Centara Duangtawan" hotel; anyone with anything to say about this place?

Tell us what you are interested in and we can supply some details

I dunno, really. Maybe a waterfall or some other natural thing for the missus. Myself, I'd be fine with a nice quiet coffeeshop I can relax with a book and a cuppa, and perhaps a shopping district I can slowly make my way through. I've heard some thing about how western food is apparently better up in CM as compared to BKK, any truth in this?

and that included two ladies as well

Well, 'fraid I won't be having any of that, so hopefully the short getaway doesn't hurt the pocket too much. :D

Top North guest house MoonMuang Soy 2, 500bht a night, nice pool

Plenty of bars and coffee places within 100yds

Half Moon bar is good for Tea, Hash House on the corner for Coffee (burgers are good but you have to tell them 'NO MAYO')and nice view of the passing traffic.

Happy bar opposite is good for Thai food (excellent Pat Prik Geng Gai)

Want western food, Mad Dog is good, 100bht for a full breakfast.

Nice waterfall near town, Monthathon falls, 1/2 way up the hill to Doi Suthep, entrance 50bht each.

Tiger Kingdom is good, you get to go in a cage with tigers and stroke them, best to pay the pro photographer 200bht for a CD of the action.

The Elephant show is also very enjoyable if you like that sort of thing.

How about a Tuk Tuk ride out to the local beach, Huay Tung Tao, where you can sit in a bamboo hut over the water and be stuffed with food.

Shopping at Centrum (Gat Sung Gaow) or Pantrip Plaza, or maybe a trip to Warorat market areas for that authentic Asian market shopping experience.

Edited by pjclark1

I've got an idea. You can stay at Paragon or Central World with your books and cuppa while your GF heads up North with someone more adventurous.

Please get out and take in the sights. Hire a driver if need be but get out and around, leave the book at home and focus on showing your girl a good time. You may have fun too.

I've posted photos for other visitors on similar topics. A simple search should find the topics. I have always enjoyed walking around the large zoo complex. There is a nice temple at the bottom of the mountain with trails around a pond. I always enjoy the trails along the creek that comes down the mountain from Doi Suthep. The access point is about 3 switchbacks up the hill. You can swim in the creek in the larger pools when the water warms up.

You can walk along the Ping River and cross at various bridge points. The Chinese market and flower market is worth a day of exploring. There are small bars and cafes everywhere near the Thai Pei gate and down Loi Khro road.

It is slightly cooling off now, but it probably won't get very cool until December. Even when cool, it is warm in the daytime and you might need a sweater or light jacket for mornings and evenings.

I have almost never needed long trousers here except during very unusual weather.

During "cool" season the rest of Thailand is much warmer than we are and a jacket would probably not be needed.

Edited by Ulysses G.

There is a touch of chill in the morning air these days. Blissful for me, but the locals are heading out in gloves and winter wear and the dogs are wearing their designer coats. All you'll probably need is a light jacket.

For your lady -- I've found a scarf/shawl to be a great accessory here in Chiang Mai and you may want to buy several for her when you're here. You can get cheap, but colorful ones at the Night Bazaar, Sunday Walking Market and around Warorot Market. Better ones, with breathtaking quality, are available at shops along Nimmaheiman and the road that runs along the east side of the Ping, across the river from Warorot. (I have a pretty sizable collection of shawls and find them helpful for airconditioning chill at movies, also) If your lady is Thai and used to Bangkok weather, she may need something a bit heavier than a shawl.

the dogs are wearing their designer coats.

This year, ragged T-shirts from small children are particularly "in", it seems. :D

And the cats have cornered the market in former baby-clothes. :)

Yup, the doggies DO need to wear clothes in the cold, Chiang Mai weather.

Funny_dog_2.jpg

Funny_dog_4.jpg

Funny_dog_6.sized.jpg

It's so cold that sometimes they need to be turned into hotdogs...

Funny_dog_7.jpg