Loy Krathong, Forever ?

rohitsuk

Is it my overactive imagination or is this year's LK going on forever ?

Did I miss something or when you have heard one bang, have you not really rather heard them all ? We have been "banging" for a month or so already and the last week it has been almost continuous both night and day. The hope that it might have been over after the second parade on Tuesday seems forlorn as here at Don Chan 11am Friday morning, there has just been the most colossal explosion like an artillery shell landing. I hate to be a killjoy but I am beginning to feel shell shocked.  

This year I though there were far fewer lanterns and khrathongs but a lot more bangs and over a much longer period.   I used to love LK but have always laid low for Songkran and it is, of course, much more difficult to avoid LK or at least the noise of it.

Please don't tell me I am just a miserable old fart but really is LK never going to be over this year or are we "banging" for something else now ???

Welcome to CM.....

It does seem longer this year, but I say that every year...... but this year , hard times are here.....

so rather than dialing for dollars,

here it is

Banging for Baht....

I'll say this though..... I only had 1 balloon in my yard , on the morning after , this year..... most of the time it averages 4 - 5.

G

help me here,,,, where is Don Chan..... I don't recognize it..... and I didn't hear the big bang....

Finally late last night, out near Ruam Chok Market, the explosions seem to have come to an end. It was starting to drive me a little crazy as they were going on until 3:00 each morning then starting up again at around 6:30 for about two weeks. I'm a light sleeper so I was not getting much sleep for days now.

This year I only saw 3 khom loy laying around the moobaan while last year there were perhaps 25 of them that landed here. So, as another poster said, this year more explosions but less khom loy. Regardless, I love this time of year and the Loy Krathong Festival.

Perhaps a bit of a boring aside - but I think the reason you may have found less "dead" Khom Loy around the city area this year was the very strong northerly winds which have been blowing this week. Out here in Hang Dong/San Patong area there have been a lot more than usual - presumably blown south from the city.

Here on Mekhong many more than usual and longer

Like OP i fear its either heading into Songkrahn drunken

frenzy or my tolerance for rockets fired at eye level is diminishing

You are certainly not alone ...

this year , hard times are here.....

I have wondered, seriously, if there could be some correlation. Not exactly a gentle, traditional festival going on -- people firing off their stress? more pressure to buy and bang? more time on some folks' hands?

The comparison with Songkran seems sadly apt. (More litter, more injuries, more disturbance to people and all the other animals ...).

Are merchants/tourist trade encouraging a merger with Guy Fawkes'?