Changing 1 Year Drivers Licence To 5 Year

Roachiebkk

I have a one year so called temporary Thai drivers licence, actually two (one for bike and the other for cars, trucks and tuk tuks) I went and got them back in June. I am leaving Thailand after almost 9 years but still have my work permit until I leave. I'd love to convert these licences to the 5 year jobbies but wont be here in June 2010 to do so.

Does anyone know if I can do this with still 6 or 7 months to go?

Cheers

Roachie

Edited by Roachiebkk

Yep thats right. Cannot get the 5 year one until you have had a 1 year one for at least a year, i.e its expired!

Suggest you check the motoring forum for any potential work-arounds. However, they wanted to see my original work permit etc. when I got my 5 year one, a couple of months ago. (Sukhumvit soi 60-something, Bangkok).

Maybe they apply different rules in different offices, but 2 weeks ago I extended my 5 years drivers licence 3 months before it expired. They had told me beforehand that was the maximum period allowed.

I was given my first 5 year licence after 2 years of holding 1 year licences.

Maybe they apply different rules in different offices, but 2 weeks ago I extended my 5 years drivers licence 3 months before it expired. They had told me beforehand that was the maximum period allowed.

I was given my first 5 year licence after 2 years of holding 1 year licences.

A 5 year to 5 year license renewal is done within 90 days before expiration. A 1 year to 5 year, can not renew before the expiration date.

//Moved to the Motoring forum//

Also you do not need a work permit for a driving licence as stated by an earlier poster.

HL :)

That is correct. However the WP can be used as proof of address in lieu of immigration/embassy letter and they wish to see the original WP which is what I believe the poster was suggesting.