Help

ignis

This morning MS installed 3 updates for my Vista.. [sP2 installed itself some months ago]

Just logged back on my computer installed the updates, everything is working fine except there is no Taskbar/Start Menu.. ?

Cannot fine anything helpful on Google.

Please anyone know how to get the Taskbar to show in Vista ?

Assuming you have a mouse pointer, try moving it off each screen edge, I don't think it's the default but auto-hide taskbar can be scary if you don't know it's enabled :)

Not sure what it is, No there is nothing on any edges..

If I go into Control Panel there is 'Taskbar and Start Menu' but clicking on this nothing happens

Silly but trying to search it always gives what to do but via the Taskbar..

Search No Taskbar...... Update Vista = Taskbar vanished, How to find Taskbar...

what do I search for?

Wondered if putting the DVD of Vista in and doing a repair will help ? only problem is a few months ago SP2 was installed via MS auto update, the DVD is at least 2+ years old.

A new auto update this morning from MS but did not fix there last update where my Taskbar vanished.

I would not recommend a repair install with a (very long) outdated Windows CD/DVD! You will have to download all Windows updates again for the last 2 years. Better get a Vista install DVD with at least SP2 integrated, but make sure it is the same edition of Vista (and avoid those modified Windows releases you get in Thailand).

A quick google search brought up this thread. Is the task bar missing when you login with a different account?

welo

I would not recommend a repair install with a (very long) outdated Windows CD/DVD! You will have to download all Windows updates again for the last 2 years. Better get a Vista install DVD with at least SP2 integrated, but make sure it is the same edition of Vista (and avoid those modified Windows releases you get in Thailand).

A quick google search brought up this thread. Is the task bar missing when you login with a different account?

welo

Yes still missing...... maybe time to think about buying W7 ? ,to me seams rather pointless re-installing the old Vista then finding all the drivers then days of downloading all the updates, quick look appears to be 100's of them over the past 2 years

There are Vista Setup CDs available that have all the latest updates and service packs integrated (they call it 'slipstreamed'). 'Slipstreaming' is nothing illegal. Usually Microsoft offers Windows discs with ServicePacks integrated to subscribers of MSDN and technet, and also sell/ship those CDs/DVDs in stores some time after the service pack has been released.

If you have an official Vista license you could still get an installation DVD with service pack 2 integrated from MBK, Panthip or the internet. There are several Vista versions around (Home, Premium, OEM, Upgrade, ...), you have to get the correct version otherwise a Repair install will not work. Activation and your license key should not be affected.

I don't have much experience with Vista though, will skip Vista and upgrade to Windows 7 soon (too lazy at the moment).

I guess many people would advise you to upgrade to Windows 7. I don't have first hand experience yet so I don't want to advise you anything. As with every new Windows release the most common reason agains upgrading (besides costs) are driver issues. Not THAT big issue with Windows 7 from what I heard but you should check whether your hardware is supported. If you are not an experienced user I would also recommend to have the upgrade done by somebody who is :)

welo

Having spent days trying to get the Taskbar back..

Found this on Microsoft, and it worked the taskbar is back and my PC appears to run even faster then it did before

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit

The Taskbar looks a little different, in My Computer the Hard Drive icons are very different, wonder if this was the updates last week that went a little wrong on my PC ?

Nice job!

Have used Microsoft's FixIt once before to check whether my IPSocks config was messed up. The tool is OK but seems widely unknown. And isn't it just the basis to run specific fixes you have to find on Microsofts web site? Which was the Fix you have run? Do you have a link?

welo

Nice job!

Have used Microsoft's FixIt once before to check whether my IPSocks config was messed up. The tool is OK but seems widely unknown. And isn't it just the basis to run specific fixes you have to find on Microsofts web site? Which was the Fix you have run? Do you have a link?

welo

I clicked on the download on the link I gave above, it downloaded the tool in seconds then clicked Fix It, it backed up the PC then created a restore point, then carried on working, then said needs to restart to fix all the problems.. I did and the Start Menu and Taskbar was back, it would appear a number of items have been upgraded....... so my thinking is the auto updates last week from MS did not install for some reason, but Fix It corrected and installed them.