Uk Eea Family Permit And Tbc Test In Bkk

Hello,

my wife would like to apply for an EAA Family Permit ( I am German Citizen ). The checklist is asking for a certificate from an International Organization of Migration ( IOM ) confirming my wife is free of infectious tuberculosis. Where can this be done in Bangkok ? For some reason I can't find any info on that.

Also, has anyone any experiance with the EAA Family Permit application here in BKK ?

Christian

Stupid me, I found the website for IOM :) .

But does anyone know how long the test will take and until the results are given ?

Seems easier for me just to apply for a UK Tourist Visa.....

If you're just going for a visit, that may well be the case. You would have to pay for the visa, but not for a TB test.

One of the few grounds on which a Family Permit may be refused under EEA Regulations is Public Health, which is why EEA Family members are not exempt from the TB test requirement in the countries where it is applied.

But I don't think getting the certificate is a lengthy process. I'm sure someone here will be able to give a specific time.

For future reference, the information is clearly displayed on the UK visa application centre website (Requirement for Tuberculosis testing for applicants visiting the UK for longer than 6 months) and the Home Office UKvisas website (Health (TB) screening).

The UKVAC page provides a link to this document detailing the procedure;

Medical TB Detection procedure consists of:

• Registration at the IOM office from 9:00h - 12:00h, and 13:00h - 15:00h

by appointment;

• Chest X-ray at one of the designated hospitals, after registration;

• Certificate issuing, at IOM office.

The certificate will be issued on same day if:

• The applicant completed medical examination during morning hours and returned

to the IOM office with the results not later then at 15:00h and

• Chest X-ray findings do not warrant further examination.

The certificate will be issued on the next working day if:

• The applicant returned to the IOM office with the results later than at 15:00h and

• Chest X-ray findings do not warrant further examination.

you do not need a T.B test (Requirement for Tuberculosis testing for applicants visiting the UK for longer than 6 months)

as it states applicants visiting the UK for longer than six months, the EEA VISA only lasts for up to six months therefore no TB cert required....

If you wish to stay longer than six months you then have to apply for an extension of stay, which when granted lasts for five years..

This is for the UK not sure on other countries.... you will need proof of job or earnings/pensions to prove you will not be a burden on the state.

I hope this helps, my wife and i have been through the whole process, which we started in bkk and have just recieved her five year extension in the UK

if i can help in anyway let me know

you do not need a T.B test (Requirement for Tuberculosis testing for applicants visiting the UK for longer than 6 months)

as it states applicants visiting the UK for longer than six months, the EEA VISA only lasts for up to six months therefore no TB cert required....

If you wish to stay longer than six months you then have to apply for an extension of stay, which when granted lasts for five years..

This is for the UK not sure on other countries.... you will need proof of job or earnings/pensions to prove you will not be a burden on the state.

I hope this helps, my wife and i have been through the whole process, which we started in bkk and have just recieved her five year extension in the UK

if i can help in anyway let me know

Please see the following extract from the Entry Clearance Guidance on the UK Visas website:

"MED2.3 Who is exempt from needing a TB certificate?

The following are exempt from the requirement:

holders of diplomatic passports travelling on official business or on a posting;

children under 11 years old;

returning residents;

Certificate of Entitlement holders.

EEA family permit applicants are NOT exempt from the testing requirement."

If your missis got a Family Permit without a TB cert., fair enough, but that's what the instructions say. Bear in mind that the Family Permit is not a "Visa" conferring a certain length of stay under UK Immigration Rules, it's simply a written confirmation of the rights of an EEA national and his family to settle where they like in the EEA, so as the stay may be indefinite, they presumably believe it correct to apply the testing requirement.

Bear in mind also that some ECOs have little more understanding of EEA legislation than the general public they serve.

The TB testing is not yet applied everywhere, so applicants in other countries may not have been faced with this requirement

Edited by Eff1n2ret

Both an EEA permit and a UK fiance settlement visa are valid for 6 months, but as the assumption is that the applicant wishes to settle in the UK for longer than this, i.e settle, then a TB cert is required for both.

At present a TB cert is a requirement only for those applying to the following posts:-

Accra

Bangkok

Dar es Salaam

Dhaka

Islamabad

Khartoum

Nairobi

We applied for EEA permits today for the wife and stepson. Went to IOM a fortnight ago. Son was done in a day but the wife needed sputum tests as she had previously had pnuemonia as a child. That took in total 5 days. So make sure you leave yourself enough time.

Edited by Ernesto