24, Having A Gf And Want To Move To Thailand...

Bates

Ok here's the deal. I'm 24 and a Belgian Resident. Since 3 years now I know my Thai girlfriend who is still a university student (final year now). We have been discussing a lot about where to live and firstly we were focused on Europe (mainly belgium). I started to gain more information about legalizing her degree but found out that finally this would be impossible. So end of this dream (atleast if I didn't want her to become a maid :D ). So the only one left was moving to Thailand. Me myself I have a job as computer scientist for a large telecom company and have a high school degree. Our dream would be that I could work in Thailand, we build a house there and live just like every young family want to build their life. House prices are cheap and i'm saving now all I can to move to Thailand. But i have so many questions like, what about my degree? (many companies ask Master or Bachelor) Is european high school equal to master or bachelor in Thailand? I speak 4 languages (Dutch, English, German, French) and i'm willing to learn Thai right away when i get there. What visa should I get? How about finance? As 24 year old.. I could maximum save 12500 euro (600.000 bahts)...

Please help me out here.... :o

PS: We have been thinking about Singapore too, would that be a better option??

Edited by Bates

From your post it seems like living in Belgium is your ideal situation, and living in Thailand a secondary alternative (neatly proving how Belgian you are). If this is the case, then try and get TG over there and start your life there. She will enjoy the adventure and get to understand the Western way a bit better, the after you've saved a couple of million baht give Thailand a try.

Don't get me wrong, I DO want to live in Thailand, but I thought Belgium would be better circumstances for us to live in, but I was wrong about that.. Anyway the point is now how do I solve this...

Moving my GF to Belgium is not an option.. what work would she do? She wants to be a doctor and nothing else (I proposed her being a nurse with her degree in Belgium)

PS: Sorry mods, i've posted the topic in the wrong section (please move to visa, residents, etc..)

Bates - wish I could be more optimistic for you. Your options are extremely limited.

International IT firms arent going to touch you. These sort of positions are for those who are connected. Thais can do the work for far less unless you are extremely specialized and offer an unique skill set.

Singapore might be an option - far better chance getting work there than LOS.

Edited by britmaveric

As a non native English speaker even Teaching may not be an option.

I don't think a high school degree is of the same level as a University degree.

Some ideas.

Try applying to a Belgian multi national with an interest in Thailand with a view to a transfer once your feet are under the table.

Try the Belgian equivalent of the Foreign Office.

Get a University Degree in a subject which could get you work in Thailand.

Some Advice:

Don't make the mistake of throwing a promising start in life away for a dream. You are still only 24 and have so much time for the settling down at all costs option.

Why is your girlfriend going to Belguim not an option?

You will both have to make sacrifices in your lives at some point. Why not see if your girlfriend will come to Belgium for a couple of years while you get your career started and some funds saved up and then take it from there.

Another option is to split your time between Thailand and Europe. This is the more expensive option however.

Edited by ProfessorFart

Even as a non native speaker it may be an option, but true, less money or more difficult.

His gf dont wanna go Belgium coz she wants to be a DR.

"Try applying to a Belgian multi national with an interest in Thailand with a view to a transfer once your feet are under the table."

That's sound advice, takes a bit of time, some luck and some good networking, but may be able to live here working for a Belgium company on fat cash.

Ok, long shot for you here but some kind of business? and I don't mean buy a bar, but there is money to be made in LOS in many areas I think if you look correctly, but also a LOT of pitfalls as well which you will definately be vunerable to not knowing the country much or maybe with little biz experience, but something to think on.

Although strongly recommend you come over here with a substantial budget so you don't end up struggling here whilst trying to set up a business, it is extra stress you don't need.

I'd be half inclined to forget your IT roots and look at things with a different angle, coz as Brit said, lots of cheap labour over here that can do the same job

Yeah, I got that but my instant thoughts were 1) does she have to be a Dr right now, and 2) couldn't she study medicine in Belguim?

I think the crux of the issue here is qualifications and money but the former leads to the latter and Bates hasn't really furnished us with many facts about his gf e.g. background, education etc.

If Bates' gf is on the brink of qualifying then I'd say let her qualify then haul her to Europe where she'd get a job fairly easily.

If its just her ambition then surely she could put it on hold for a year or two and do something else while Bates gets his act together and once the bunce is rolling in from Bates' work, she can go study medicine to her heart's desire while Bates brings in the doubloons.

BKKMadness makes a good point about doing your own thing. Some people do make a very good living here doing their own thing once they've avoided the hassles and pitfalls but as BKK says you're going to need $$$$$$$$$ even before you've started.

"If Bates' gf is on the brink of qualifying then I'd say let her qualify then haul her to Europe where she'd get a job fairly easily"

Very True. My understanding is that they are crying out for Doctors in Europe as many bugger off to the States for higher paid jobs.

As a qualified Doctor I am sure she would be welcomed with Open Arms.

Perhaps you could resarch this possibility? it's going to take some time but at least you will be 100% sure she's the gal for you in the meantime?

Don't throw away your career for a crappy job over here, not at 24 :o

Good Luck and don't rush, time is on your side.

Don't get me wrong, I DO want to live in Thailand, but I thought Belgium would be better circumstances for us to live in, but I was wrong about that.. Anyway the point is now how do I solve this...

Moving my GF to Belgium is not an option.. what work would she do? She wants to be a doctor and nothing else (I proposed her being a nurse with her degree in Belgium)

PS: Sorry mods, i've posted the topic in the wrong section (please move to visa, residents, etc..)

If she settled for something like being a nurses aid ( and without a suitable language that is the best chance she'd have ) she'd need to see a head doctor.

Ok here's the deal. I'm 24 and a Belgian Resident. Since 3 years now I know my Thai girlfriend who is still a university student (final year now). We have been discussing a lot about where to live and firstly we were focused on Europe (mainly belgium). I started to gain more information about legalizing her degree but found out that finally this would be impossible. So end of this dream (atleast if I didn't want her to become a maid :D ). So the only one left was moving to Thailand. Me myself I have a job as computer scientist for a large telecom company and have a high school degree. Our dream would be that I could work in Thailand, we build a house there and live just like every young family want to build their life. House prices are cheap and i'm saving now all I can to move to Thailand. But i have so many questions like, what about my degree? (many companies ask Master or Bachelor) Is european high school equal to master or bachelor in Thailand? I speak 4 languages (Dutch, English, German, French) and i'm willing to learn Thai right away when i get there. What visa should I get? How about finance? As 24 year old.. I could maximum save 12500 euro (600.000 bahts)...

The truth is Thailand does not really welcome or make it easy for aliens to work or even live here, having said that there have been articles on the news about Thailand needing IT people and that it would be made easier for them to work here, this could be the key , do some searches and develope this avenue.

As you seem flexible Malaysia seems to be the complete opposite in welcoming foreigners to its shores so maybe you could check that out, Try this site www.mm2h.com .

Good luck

you should start looking for a new IT job in belgium assuming there are some, that will allow you to telecommute from thailand :o

as others have said, yer wasting yer time lookin 4 one over here...

Edited by Joey Boy

Bates - wish I could be more optimistic for you. Your options are extremely limited.

International IT firms arent going to touch you. These sort of positions are for those who are connected.  Thais can do the work for far less unless you are extremely specialized and offer an unique skill set.

Singapore might be an option - far better chance getting work there than LOS.

You will need a university degree to work in Singapore in IT (unless you are sweeping the floor).

Neither LOS nor Singers will offer you the income you have in Belgium, but then your living costs would be lower as well.

If your g/f can get a visa / work permit for Belgium, then that is by far the best option. Do not expect to compete in SE Asia, especially in Singapore. You will wind up with a poor salary, working from eight-to-eight (or later) as most Singaporeans do.

These countries are great to visit as tourists, LOS is good to retire to, but trying to work in either, unless with a European / US company on Euro / US salary, is a recipe for disaster.

My previous wife was / is Polish - fully qualified Biomedical person, Polish degree. When she wanted to work in a hospital laboratory in UK she had to take a full three-year degree course and work at a hospital laboratory in order to qualify. Her Polish degree was considered sufficient to enable her to enter university.

She did this - qualified and got her MLSO (Medical Laboratory Scientific Officer).

But her English was good (I taught her :o ) and her European background helped.

She had a problem at the start - the Uni. would not accept her without her having a hospital job, hospital wouldn't accept her without a registration at Uni. But that was solved with a couple of drafts of Letters of Intent.

As she was already my wife (married in Libya) there was no immigration problem.

You, my friend, may have considerable problems. As I said above, do not consider working in SE Asia for the rest of your life (unless your g/f family have oodles of money and set you up in business)(then you'll be tied to them for life) because you'll have no chance without influence.

Ok, like you, I'm also young and living in Thailand.

I think this is a really bad idea. You are very unlikely to be able to get an IT job. There are about a zillion young Thais that will work at a fraction of the cost that you will. English teaching is an option, which is what I do, but really, it's not a long term prospect. The pay is too low, it's really just a way of paying for a long term holiday. You don't have any way to secure a job that pays high enough to raise a family. Really, she's just going to have to move to your country. You'd be better of if she just lived in Belgium and didn't work than you would be trying to get an IT job or teach English in Bangkok. How are you going to pay for your childrens education on a small salary? You will want them to attend an international school, and that costs money. Why bother when they could just grow up and recieve a 1st world education in your own country, and have the benifit of having EU citizenship as well?

Don't move here to start a family. This is more a place to retire too, or maybe spend a few years sowing your oats. Give your children the gift of being raised in a 1st world country.

I think there might be a communication error here. The OP says he has a "high school degree" and that he's a computer scientist. If I'm not mistaken, this may mean that he has the equivalent of a bachelor's degree at a university in the English-speaking world. I don't know about Belgium, but in Germany post-secondary technical institutions are often referred to as "Hochschulen" literally (but not really) "high schools." But we'd call them technical universities or institutes as in MIT.

If I were him, I'd start checking out Belgian companies which have units in Thailand. Sometimes multinational companies like to hire someone from the homeland because they need someone on the ground with their own mentality, work ethic etc. In the best possible case he might end up with a job where they pay his moving expenses and a living allowance, and that ain't bad!

What about this recent article in Phuket Gazette?

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=4202

"Sipa launches fast-track system for IT workers

BANGKOK: Foreign IT workers coming to Thailand will be the envy of employees in all other sectors with the launch today of a new online system by the Software Industry Promotion Agency (Sipa).

The system will allow the government to process foreign IT workers’ applications for work permits and extensions of stay in just three hours."

Don't move here to start a family. This is more a place to retire too, or maybe spend a few years sowing your oats. Give your children the gift of being raised in a 1st world country.

Sorry but Bolloocks!

I gave up a "promising career" to come here and worked as a low paid English teacher. I was your age.

No regrets whatever.

Ok I have some friends who are coming over to retire early, but guess what, they are all jealous of me and wish they had done what I did.

I would much rather my children be raised here than 'home'.

Thailand is great when you are young.

Don't listen to all the old guys.

You may die young.

Your wife has a good job, you will be fine.

There are many many things that you could do.

Come to Thailand young, learn the language, and you will have a good life.

Well, if you were so adamant in being an IT expert and nothing else you two would not get very far I guess, so maybe it is time for a compromise.

My advice is don´t do it (yet!). I am not saying that you cannot make it, but chances are very slim. Even teaching would be difficult for you non being a native speaker.I live in Thailand, moved as a "young person" like you say, but in completely different circumstances.

Try to get a job with a European or American company that operates in Thailand before moving here. Try to see within the export companies,where your language skills might be useful to them.

Once here, and unless your girlfriend family has very good relations...it will be pretty difficult to find someone who would employ you. And the salaries for Thai people around your age are pretty discouraging too. I run a small company here and I know what I am talking about.

Sure housing is cheaper than there, but an appartment in Bangkok with any resemblance to the one you might be enjoying there can be pretty costly too.

Also, don´t forget that you are moving to a "developing country", and I can tell you that takes its toll. Things do not work like at home here and there is no place where you can go to complain when they do not do. You don´t get promoted on the basis of your market value and there is not safety net should you get unemployed...

Thailand is not such a great place when you cannot afford enjoying what it offers...and very few farang can survive on eating cheap thai food day in day out.

If you would like some more detailed info, PM me.

Bull

whatever way you look at it , you move there , she moves to your country the outcome does not look good . learning thai to be in a job could take years . and you dont have years to get going in a job.

teaching belgian to thais must be a limited market .

i suspect a disaster awaits you both . sorry to be blunt but thats the truth .

did you think of opening a bar ? :o

teaching belgian to thais must be a limited market .

You're right. Teaching Belgian to Thai's is a very small market.

@Neeranam

Well, I have to say I haven't heard that advice very often. I am learning to speak Thai, and my girlfriend does have a good job, but the idea of staying here is quite scary. It is really great being a young person in Thailand, but I also worry what would happen if I started a family here. Bates should as well. For now I can just enjoy myself, but I also have no children or family members to think about right now, which Bates will. But you are right, if he wants it enough, maybe he can make it work.