Six Killed As Floods Wreak Havoc In Seven Provinces

webfact

FLOODS IN SOUTH

Six killed as Floods wreak havoc in seven provinces

By The Nation

Published on November 9, 2009

Six killed as Floods wreak havoc in seven provinces

Flooding is hitting the deep South following several days of heavy rains, with six people drowning and hundreds of thousands of villagers in seven provinces affected.

In hardest-hit Yala, where all six deaths occurred, survival kits from Their Majesties the Kings and Queens have been distributed to those affected. There are more than 33,000 villagers in Yala affected.

Nirand Phetthae, head of a tambon administrative organisation, said those given the kits were badly affected, with some of them having to stay on their home roofs due to high flood levels.

"Those villagers regard very highly of the kits, as a token which represents Their Majesties' care for them," he added.

Provincial governor Krissada Bunraj said he and the villagers highly appreciated His Majesty's concern for them. "It shows how gracious His Majesty has been to his people, he has helped his people even though he is still in his bed, receving hospital treaments," he added.

In Songkhla, 15 districts out of all 16 have been declared under the state of disaster emergency, after more than 150,000 in more than 48,000 households had been affected, and more than 5,200 evaculated. Around 16,000 rai of farmland and 348 roads had been inundated. A total floodcaused damage has been estimated at Bt180 million in Songkhla alone.

The train services have continued although long sections of rail tracks had been flooded with in low level in the southernmost provinces of Yala, Pattani and Narathiwat and in Songkhla's Chana district

Security officials in Pattani have been instructed to also provide emergency assistance to the locals in case of flash flood while still on high alert for possible insurgent attacks. Provincial security chief Maj General Jeerasak Chomprasob said said floodwater from Yala would possilby travel to Pattani within the nex few days, citing his own experiences.

In Phatthalung, the highest floodwater level reported was at 1.7 metres in four tambon in Muang district. People are using boats for transport and running out of drinking water and food supplies.

In Trang, the floodwater level had subsided after several days of no rains, but floodwater from neighbouring Nakhon Si Thammarat could swell the Train river and inundate residential areas by the river's side, said disaster relief officials.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, speaking in his weekly television address, said there were now 10 southern provinces hit by flooding, and that the government would take care of those affected and would assign a team of senior officials to travel to the region next week.

A weather forecast released yesterday has predicted lighter rains in the lower South but warned those living in lowlying areas or by river banks against flood flood or quick swelling of rivers, those living in mountaineous areas should also brace for land or mudslides.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/09

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

the government would take care of those affected and would assign a team of senior officials to travel to the region next week.

All the folks sitting on their roof will be thrilled to head that the officials will be coming "next week" to help them.......

I guess once the waters have receded and they have come down off their roof and started cleaning up, THAT will be the opportune time for the officials to come in with succor and solutions.

Or they could drive about in boats tomorrow and REALLY impress the victims.

Local Gov. has contigent fund for emergency to expedite. Central Gov. will be there for greater support. this is wide area natural disaster. Unlike Railroad stirke in the south, which is supposedly to be manageable. The gov. can act immediately. But it waited for many days to start clearing up, while people left stranded in the middle of nowhere. Let's see what they can cope with the flood situation a little while longer.

NOW would be a good time to get clean water and unspoiled bags of rice distributed to stranded and homeless residents in those areas. It should help ease religious tensions and would be cheaper than having to treat illness & infections later. My condolences to those affected; it could happen to any of us living in S.E. Asia...and probably will at some time in the near future.

Chok dee! :):D

the government would take care of those affected and would assign a team of senior officials to travel to the region next week.

All the folks sitting on their roof will be thrilled to head that the officials will be coming "next week" to help them.......

Good comment vicco.

My thoughts to all the people in stress. Good stuff from the King and Queen, the government maybe can learn from this but I doubt it. :)

Is it time to pass the order to start building the next "ARC" now????????

I would think by not changing the natural path of flooding waters and not building next to them, stop felling all the trees, might also slow up the many problems we have everywhere, messing with mother nature can cause bad ju-ju, live on higher ground and leave the rivers, streams and creeks to do what they do so well, I could be wrong, just a thought

Good comment vicco.

My thoughts to all the people in stress. Good stuff from the King and Queen, the government maybe can learn from this but I doubt it. :)

Sorry for the people affected. Must be thousands of them.

Pardon my ignorance, but what actually happens when an area or a province is declared a disaster zone?

Do the people qualify for financial assistance? Loss compensation? New housing? A bag of rice? What is in this emergency kit? Money? Food coupons? Water bottle?...

I'm not being sarcastic, just would like to know. Anybody cares to shed light on this? :D

And one more question. If there are monies allocated to help the victims, how much?

How much are they getting, and how much are spent on the moral boosting visits? :D

Update:

Narathiwat's flooding death toll rises to 10

NARATHIWAT: -- The flooding in this southern border province has so far killed 10 people, the provincial disaster prevention and mitigation centre announced Monday.

The centre announced that the flooding affected 26,525 families in 367 villages and 17 communities in 13 districts.

The latest victim was Panida Waephakdee, 12.

A total of 1,697 families have been evacuated following the flooding.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-11-09

Thanks, guys for no replies

H'mmm, let's see now who would have the replies to your questions within half an hour of you posting them?? The recipients of the Aid? might be a little hard for them to get on to TV right now, Government officials? No, sorry, a little too busy to answer some questions from a farang on TV! Perhaps you could use your indignation to fire up your research skills and answer the questions yourself. Good luck. :)

Narathiwat's flooding death toll rises to 10

Narathiwat - The flooding in this southern border province has so far killed 10 people, the provincial disaster prevention and mitigation centre announced Monday.

The centre announced that the flooding affected 26,525 families in 367 villages and 17 communities in 13 districts.

The latest victim was Panida Waephakdee, 12.

A total of 1,697 families have been evacuated following the flooding.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/11/09

Backsoon: Sorry that there weren't any replies to your question. I don't know what all is involved in declaring an area a disaster area in Thailand. From the lack of responses, I take it that most posters here don't.

The situation is quite sad for those affected.

35,000 medicine sets sent to flood victims in South: Health Ministry

BANGKOK: -- Thailand’s Public Health Ministry on Monday has provided an additional 35,000 sets of generic medicines and 100 mobile units to aid flood victims in southern provinces, said Minister Witthaya Kaewparadai.

Mr Witthaya said that the ministry sent 20,000 sets of generic medicines to Narathiwat, while 15,000 sets were to be distributed in Songkhla, Pattani and Trang.

All medical supplies are expected to be delivered to flooded areas on Tuesday in order to solve the shortage of medicinals.

The health ministry also instructed provincial and district officials for 100 more mobile medical units daily for further treatment in order to relieve health impacts on flood victims, Mr Witthaya said.

Meanwhile, Dr Paichit Varachit, permanent secretary for public health said floodwaters in Yala on Monday were gradually receding.

Twenty mobile medical teams travelled to help villagers by boat because roads were cut off in some areas.

The cumulative data during four-day treatment found that some 5,000 local residents had fallen ill.

Most of them, nearly 3,100 patients, are in Narathiwat and most--80 per cent --are infected with common influenza.

Dr Paichit also urged health officials to be on high alert to flood-related diseases such as influenza, pneumonia, dengue fever, malaria, acute diarrhea, cholera, food poisoning, typhoid, hepatitis, dysentery, encephalitis, conjunctivitis and leptospirosis.

Local officials had to prepare for these diseases to provide immediate treatment to patients and to prevent their spread, Dr Paichit said. However, no outbreak has been reported.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-11-09

H'mmm, let's see now who would have the replies to your questions within half an hour of you posting them?? The recipients of the Aid? might be a little hard for them to get on to TV right now, Government officials? No, sorry, a little too busy to answer some questions from a farang on TV! Perhaps you could use your indignation to fire up your research skills and answer the questions yourself. Good luck. :)

Dear Midas, where did you find indignation in my post? I asked genuine questions. At the time I posted them there were over 300 people reading the posts on this topic.

I am far from being indignant about no response. Actually I believe that nobody knows the answers. Not through ignorance, but rather from the 'no posted accounts of govt action/reaction to the emergency'. I do not blame the Visa community. I do not blame anybody, as a matter of fact. TIT for tat. :D

P.S. I stil believe the questions asked were legitimate and to the point. On the other hand, if nobody knows WHAT is being done, maybe the answer is NOTHING?

Dear Midas, where did you find indignation in my post? I asked genuine questions. At the time I posted them there were over 300 people reading the posts on this topic.

I am far from being indignant about no response. Actually I believe that nobody knows the answers. Not through ignorance, but rather from the 'no posted accounts of govt action/reaction to the emergency'. I do not blame the Visa community. I do not blame anybody, as a matter of fact. TIT for tat. :D

P.S. I stil believe the questions asked were legitimate and to the point. On the other hand, if nobody knows WHAT is being done, maybe the answer is NOTHING?

Probably correct! Still 'Thinking about who to appoint, and get a gold medal after the aftermath and get their pictures taken with the 'Local bigwigs etc' The usual bxxsxit and money going astray yet again for the poor victims - who my heart goes out to!

Good comment vicco.

Where does the money come from that the Royal family has distributed in the South?