Livecd To Copy Files With Thai Filenames From Ntfs To Fat32

welo

I need to backup some data from a failing harddrive! Windows cannot access the partition, but I can with a Linux LIVE CD from sysresccd.org. Unfortunately this distri cannot deal with the unicode filenames. To be more precise, I am unable to copy those files (files with non-Thai filenames work fine) from a NTFS partition to a FAT32 partition on a different harddrive. Error is 'illegal argument'. I tried the graphical file manager in xwindow as well as mc and cp.

I am not sure if its a limitation of the file system drivers or some configuration issue of the LiveCD.

Does anybody know a LiveCD that supports unicode filenames on NTFS/FAT32 out of the box? (Or with very little configuration work).

Thanks,

welo

Problem is my Windows XP cannot access the C partition, to be more precise the file system. D and E partition are OK, but the C partition where I fixed the MFT cannot be read by XP.

If I remember correctly BartPE uses the same filesystem drivers since it is a modified version of Windows XP, isn't it?

I might have a try nevertheless.

Anybody tried to copy (Thai-named) files to/from Windows drives with Ubuntu? I guess there is an Ubuntu LiveCD around.

welo