Best Pickup Truck

crusty

:) Anyone out there with a similar experience ? Just 35K Kms and my new Nissan truck needs a new clutch ! It eats rubber like I've never seen and needs new tyres at this mileage also, but cannot locate a supplier anywhere. Nissan have designed in their own wheel size and only their dealers can supply their imported Dunlops. After just 10K Kms. the body and chassis squeaks like a 20 year old car and an offroader it definitely is not ! Make sure you have more than a quarter of the fuel tank full when driving offroad, otherwise on a steep descent the engine will cut out leaving you with no steering or brakes! I used to own a Nissan Big M and that burnt out clutches twice in 75K Kms., seems they still haven't solved the problem. Who is happy with their truck ? The Bangkok Post's motoring section runs tests on these trucks and misses all the above faults and refuses to print my findings. Could we have our own motoring section where we can at least be prepared for what we buy ?

hel_l man . i got this Isuzu truck , 3.0 liters and got myself a tune-up chip from a german supply house. It runs like a dream and it s supposed to last. My man in bangkok recommended the Isuzu on top of a Toyota, for it's quality of manufacture. some bad-assers here, however, call it a cheap wheelburrow, so expect different criticisms and appraisals on the run . .

but well ,maybe your driving style is THAI ??!! It would affect a clutch !!

Last week I was aboard a minibus from Bangkok to Cha-Am. The driver was a female ( i am not sexist and this can happen to a male driver, too ) she had a way curious style of driving !! She was going at good speed 125 k's, and whenever there was a situation ahead of hers upon which she had to slow down, her reaction was SHE WOULD STEP ONTO THE BRAKES WHILST HER OTHER FOOT WAS STIL ON THE ACC PEDAL . . so much for 20 minutes Thai Driving School she had learned. On our 2 hour ride, I first tought the motor was automatically regulated down at certain speed, but when I realized it was her, I begun to have goosebumps.

I guessed this method was really fuc_king up the clutch plates . . so I hope it is not you who has a driver who learned the same way of speed reducing . . . . . .otherwise, I can t dream your clutch plates wearing out faster than on any other car . .but by your drive-style .. . sorry if I stepped onto your foot - eh, clutch . . .

Getting my new Navara 4x4 4 door 5 speed auto later this week. Currently have a 2001 model which I bought with 260,000km on the clock. Had to replace the radiator, water pump, steering and front suspension arms and front brake caliper pistons. All due to normal wear and tear for the milage. Goes great, never misses a beat and is returning better than 7.5l/100km from the 3.0l turbo diesel running B5.

Had a Vigo before that and nothing wrong with it either. Hope the new Nissan is as good as the current one. Would happily have bought a Toyota but I think that Nissan has the technology edge with the high compression/high output smaller and therefore more efficient engine matched with the 5 speed auto. Also has full electronic driveline. Not sure if the Vigo has that yet or still has the manual second shift lever to the transfer case.

I have a 07 Navara, Just changed the rubber at 70,000kms. Replacesed the Bridgstones with BFG's.

I did have a squeek problem, it is the hood catch, put some grease on it, and get the dealer to adjust it.

As for Nissan have'n their own wheel size, I think you need to look at a good tyrestore and you will see the size is common place.

Also think you need to change the way you drive if your eating clutches at that speed.

I now have 80,000km on my Nav running B5 and slightly modded, Not a truck in Thailand I would change too.

I would suggest that the OP will have problems with ANY truck. My Frontier has 72,000 on it and still has the original tires, brakes and clutch. I would expect my clutch to fail because of the way my wife drives. So far she hasn't been able to destroy it. The tires still have about half tread.

but well ,maybe your driving style is THAI ??!! It would affect a clutch !!

Last week I was aboard a minibus from Bangkok to Cha-Am. The driver was a female ( i am not sexist and this can happen to a male driver, too ) she had a way curious style of driving !! She was going at good speed 125 k's, and whenever there was a situation ahead of hers upon which she had to slow down, her reaction was SHE WOULD STEP ONTO THE BRAKES WHILST HER OTHER FOOT WAS STIL ON THE ACC PEDAL . . so much for 20 minutes Thai Driving School she had learned. On our 2 hour ride, I first tought the motor was automatically regulated down at certain speed, but when I realized it was her, I begun to have goosebumps.

I guessed this method was really fuc_king up the clutch plates . . so I hope it is not you who has a driver who learned the same way of speed reducing . . . . . .otherwise, I can t dream your clutch plates wearing out faster than on any other car . .but by your drive-style .. . sorry if I stepped onto your foot - eh, clutch . . .

Thanks for that but having been driving for over forty years, I think I have learnt how to use a clutch pedal! I do go up the mountains frequently (every two weeks) and my two previous trucks, an Isuzu 4WD gave no probs and later my Mazda 2.9l. 4WD was by far the best, loads of torque and no rattles, maybe a little thirsty but a far better built truck than the Navarra

When you have to tow farm equipment like headers off combine harvesters you need a strong chassis and gear set like Nissan offer. Isuzu chassis are to light and flex with a towing load. We got rid of ours after a couple of years. The engine had plenty of berries, but it wandered a lot over 30kph.

post-63954-1257937973_thumb.jpg

When you have to tow farm equipment like headers off combine harvesters you need a strong chassis and gear set like Nissan offer. Isuzu chassis are to light and flex with a towing load. We got rid of ours after a couple of years. The engine had plenty of berries, but it wandered a lot over 30kph.

post-63954-1257937973_thumb.jpg

I have a D-MAX, strong engine, but air con and electric windows etc play up a lot.

According to a Thai friend the Isuzu Dragon Power is much stronger. As you say the D-MAX chassis is in 3 parts and is not good for proper (Thai style) loads.

If I was to buy again, probably be the new Ranger.

The Bangkok Post's motoring section runs tests on these trucks and misses all the above faults and refuses to print my findings. Could we have our own motoring section where we can at least be prepared for what we buy ?

The Bkk post runs ads masquerading as articles. To be honest it's not that much better with OS publications, who are inclined to say nice things due to the advertising revenue the need.

There was a very good article in 2006 comparing all the pickups, it came from a Swedish (?) magazine and the models had quite a few differences to those sold here.

Whenever these pick up threads come along, most sayshow happy they are with their choice, but as the cars are new, you can't expect too many complaints. Thais, even those who seem knowledgeable, often have many misconceptions and rarely look past Isuzu or Toyota.

the most reliable truck i had on samui was a Ford Ranger

I've driven a Ford Ranger around for a few years, excellent reliability - 9 years old and never had a problem there. Hard to get the right parts for it in the countryside though, and its fuel efficiency is awful. Which hurts when the diesel prices go up & up... The newer versions might do better on that front though.

I have a 07 Navara, Just changed the rubber at 70,000kms. Replacesed the Bridgstones with BFG's.

I did have a squeek problem, it is the hood catch, put some grease on it, and get the dealer to adjust it.

As for Nissan have'n their own wheel size, I think you need to look at a good tyrestore and you will see the size is common place.

Also think you need to change the way you drive if your eating clutches at that speed.

I now have 80,000km on my Nav running B5 and slightly modded, Not a truck in Thailand I would change too.

I have tried every tyrestore on the island including Tyreboy in Nathon and believe me they are not just available ! Common size ? my ass !

I have tried every tyrestore on the island including Tyreboy in Nathon and believe me they are not just available ! Common size ? my ass !

I'm take'n a guess, but I'd say you have the 4X4 LE 4 door with 255/70R16 tyres???

I went with a friend in BuriRum to get a new set for his pickup 72,000kms and found then at the first store we stopped at.

Guess Island life is not all that nice, try Surat Thani, and try a shop like Cockpit.

Since you are have'n a problem you can try this as an alernative

235/75R16, narrower but same height

245/75R16 little taller but narrower

265/65R16 little wider and taller

All will work with yur pickup with no problem, Only problem on the last two is your speedo will read 1.8% faster then the speed you are traveling.

I own a 2006 Toyota Prerunner Vigo.

Great motor, 4 door....90,000km and on original Michelins.

Never a problem, serviced regularly and I do a fair bit of off road driving.

Cant fault it really, never let me down, great vehicle.

Edited by soihok