Crackdown On Unlicensed Software Intensified

george

a new creative way to make money from westerners :)

... congrats 'thailand's creative economy' you're making money from a new creative source... fines for illegal software - of which the companies will buy licenses for online, direct from the developer, not the local economy.

I don't remember seeing anywhere that this was a crackdown on westerners. I have a friend (Thai) whose company was raided last week in Silom. All the front end stuff was liscensed but all the back-end stuff. They were given a B100K fine.

Contrary to a lot of opinions on this site not everything the Thais do is aimed at making life difficult for Westerners

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What an extraordinary leap...from software raid to farang persecution! As far as I know it is Thai companies who are facing crippling fines. To be honest they have every right to demand we use proper softwares, I just wished that companies could work with the software association to negotiate some kind of payment programme to make it affordable for Thai companies to go legit. But being hit with huge fines is basically going to mean that no one can afford to buy licensed software! My company had to bite the bullet and go legit (which, admittedly, we should have done in the first place), so in our case, the national clamp down worked very well for IP rights. I know that many companies now (for instance the printers and the signage associations here in CM) are getting together to negotiate licenced software in bulk. Hopefully this will be a good solution for all. But irratic raids, in my opinion, only line pockets of policemen.

I think the raids should be targeted at those computer shops that "repairs" your computer, only to find out that your legal OS has been replaced with a pirated one. There has been no recourse for this theft and should be. Target the big Thai companies, sure, but what does the average schmoe out there do when their legal system has been hijacked? Let it rain, but let it rain on all parties involved. Rain is not selective about who gets wet and who doesn't.

I NEVER put the sticker on the computer-case, I prefer to have that stuff in a safe. The one who invented that rule for the sticker needs his head examined. And even then you can get stuck as some windows directly from a Thai importer some years ago started to give a black background and a quick check showed that some repair-place had cloned another windows as they couldn't get in the safe as I was in hospital(g). Whatever, then you find out that about the only way to repair it is reinstall with original disk

and serial number from DOS in repair mode and make sure to keep operating system intact. If that also doesn't work its better the

windows gets installed fresh after rescuing the data...

Next fun had been as I complained to MS about the 5 disks not recognized as real. I was told 3 numbers had a problem, 2 were ok (happened to be the systems with the last problems. )I just reinstalled but systems worked.

Whatever you do, never clone the disks as you should see what has problems when you reinstall and where. Reinstalling a clone is the solution for the engineer needing to install many systems per day...

FYI if the reason yiou reinstalled was just to set it up with a new legitimate key/serial, then this can be done without reinstalling. M$ ven tells you how. There is a registry key (actually 2 of them) that ned to be cleared, then the OS will prompt for a new serial and key (and activation key if needed - depending on version). Footprint disks (and server stored footprints) are used throughout big businesses - they tend to have site licensing agreements. Its much easier to set up one machine properly and push it to all machines with a small scripts to give it a different name and put it on the network especially these days with local policies etc.

With many IT aware people running small internet cafes starting to switch over to Unbuntu, when the schools follow suit to keep up with their kids the country will find that the free OS revolution has taken place and there will be little for the police to do but address real crime.

Perish the thought.

I'm really sorry to ask , but WHAT is "Unbuntu"

that's probably a typo its Ubuntu.

It is a version of linux, its free, many are turning to linux as a way out of buying unliscenced software because its free.

Has anyone tried to buy a computer that hasn't got illegal software loaded on it, in Thailand? It is near impossible.

Rubbish ..... unless you're talking about second hand jobs.

I agree with this. Its not rubbish ive seen it on so many occasions and even brand new mobile phones with pirated software installed.

Not to mention my Xbox 360 live which is now console banned because the dam_n shop flashed the firmware to accept their pirated software.

In for a dollar in for a pound. Lets face it, everyone is at it. Your all bloody corrupt, and dont ever deny it because no one will believe you!!

same thing happened to my xbox last week!

luckily i have 2 and the other one got missed apparently.

While respect the money that goes into developing these games and software, i find it amazing the cost that affix to it here in thailand. Back in america i can understand the cost, but in this country your talking a very small percentage of people who can pay that cost.

But since everyone likes the way america runs the world i guess they figure they should follow suite and run their state and government agencies the same be damned the outcome.

The drug war analogy was very fitting, just like the war on terror there is no end in site. Although states are finding the cost of prosecution adn detainment are starting to really rack up, and when your state unemployment rate is higher than 8% well you can imagine politicians will have a hard time getting reelected with the idea of increased taxes.

With many IT aware people running small internet cafes starting to switch over to Unbuntu, when the schools follow suit to keep up with their kids the country will find that the free OS revolution has taken place and there will be little for the police to do but address real crime.

Perish the thought.

Google "ubuntu"....it's one of the many flavors the linux operating system comes in. Ubuntu's becoming more popular because of it's large user base and ease of use. It's also free.

So can somebody tell me, can you still get bootleg software at Pantip and bootleg dvd's at Pantip and MBK? That's a big industry in Thailand.

Yes, you can still get it, but why bother?

10 years ago I used to buy there. I still browse...sometimes they have something interesting...but I I really would want any POPULAR software, hey, I'd download it over BitTorrent and good.

That ***Bios Emulation for Vista ULtimate worked like a dream, even MS recognizes it as legal...so no update hassle.

What you really get in Panthip & MBK (if you are not a real Poweruser, and those usually don't go there) is a fat chance for a Virus and/or a Trojan.

Whatever you want-most of it is on BitTorrent. Check IsoHunt and learn how to sort out fakes, and voila, you are good to go.

That being said one should be familiar with advanced OS functions, editing registries, performinga thorough Virus scan and slipstreaming customized installation media.

Main issue is that too many Joe Averages want new Software just because it's NEW, and they trade a perfectly well working legal XP for a badly patched Win7 or Vista which can't be updated.

My advice is stay away from that bootleg stuff, unless you are in a position not to need advice regarding IT Matters ;-)

a new creative way to make money from westerners :D

... congrats 'thailand's creative economy' you're making money from a new creative source... fines for illegal software - of which the companies will buy licenses for online, direct from the developer, not the local economy.

Dead right! Let's make good ol' Bill even richer. Seriously, what Thai company really develops hardware or software directly here and keeps the money here??? What poor Thai on B6000 a month is going to pay a month's wage just to start a basic software package?

Another member here said, "Just another crackdown" :)

That being said one should be familiar with advanced OS functions, editing registries, performinga thorough Virus scan and slipstreaming customized installation media.

What kind of gobblety gook is that? What on Earth is "customized installation media"? Turning the GF's vibrator into a flash drive and changing the USB sockets into the shape of a pussy?

Perish the thought.

Google "ubuntu"....it's one of the many flavors the linux operating system comes in. Ubuntu's becoming more popular because of it's large user base and ease of use. It's also free.

Please excuse these nested quotations. All I have to add is that by the term, "free", anyone who likes the way Ubuntu dances on the desktop now that 9.10 has been released, can download the entire source code for as little as their ISP telco wants for the bandwidth, and tweak it up however they wish to dream, as long as they include their modifications in the public domain, under the same GPL licence.

Only pirates can pirate it.

---o0o---

PS: In the African Bantu language, "Ubuntu" basically translates to the idea that no man is an island.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28philosophy%29

-----ooo0ooo-----

Just trying to think up a pasa Thai translation, and "kgreng jai" might be about as much as I know about Thai culture.

Edited by SeanMoran