Just Been Denied Duty Free Import Of Personal Household Effects

As per the thread title, I've just been told by my shippers that I have been denied (by Thai Customs) duty free import of my personal household effects based on the fact that:

"I have entered Thailand for a second time". Duty free approval is apparently only given after the "first" arrival in Thailand.

I have "holidayed" and "visited friends" here the last 2 years on a non-O, but this year gained a job offer and came with a 1 yr non-B.

I entered Thailand five and a half months ago, after a border run, on 30-05-2009, then applied for and successfully gained my work permit on 10-07-2009.

As this now qualified me to get my belongings over from the UK duty free, I organised the shipping of said effects which arrive in Laem Chabang tomorrow.

(Also of note, as I do not have an extension of stay with my multi 1 year non-B, I had to leave and re-enter Thailand on 27-08-2009 to get a new entry stamp). I "thought" I qualified for duty free import on the basis that I had "The work permit from the Department of Labor to work in Thailand for at least one year."

I have been told by my shippers today that "Our team could not get duty free approval for your personal effect shipment. Custom can give this approval once you entre to Thailand first time and for second time they treat any cargos as similar as regular apart from any special benefits."

Now they expect me to pay 85,000 baht :) import duty on a load of "tat" that has an agreed value of 206,000 baht!

I was under the impression that I had imported my belongings "within six months of my arrival in Thailand" and had met Custom's criteria for duty free import. Evidently, I am mistaken.

I am contesting Customs decision but this amounts to "confrontation" I guess, so where it'll get me...? I have a pretty good idea though!

I'll update with progress, as a heads-up for anyone else thinking of bringing their "stuff" over to LOS.

For quick reference, Thai Customs website - household effects import link is: HERE

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not surprised. With the anemic economy, they've been ordered to shakedown us falangs any which way they can...

Really???? "They" means all Thais or just those you whom you think are part of this conspiracy? Ordered by whom?

Back to the OP, if you are really polite to the agent, you can ask them to start bargaining it down. I had similar problems with personal effects and cut a long story short, just bargain and hope for the best! Good luck. My "tax" came down from THB20k to THB10k, after I authorised the agent to "bargain" on my behalf.

Sorry, forgot to add....what did the shippers whom you engaged at the source say? Did they advise on likely duties? Can you apply some pressure on them at the originating point to then apply some pressure on their Thai agents. In my case, I went back to the shipping co in Melbourne and kicked up a stink..but of course they had the fine print despite telling me verbally that the tax should not be an issue as all my items were not new.

Back to the OP, if you are really polite to the agent, you can ask them to start bargaining it down. I had similar problems with personal effects and cut a long story short, just bargain and hope for the best! Good luck. My "tax" came down from THB20k to THB10k, after I authorised the agent to "bargain" on my behalf.

My opening gambit is for my agent to go back to Customs, telling them that the reason I left Thailand and came back again during their 6 months "window" period was because Thailand's immigration laws wouldn't allow me to stay in Thailand more than 3 months, while my stuff was on the high seas.

Also, nowhere on Customs' website does it say that between arrival in Thailand and delivery of effects, you must NOT leave the country!

I was fuming so hard when I got the notification email, I have to admit that I could have been a little more polite when I responded. :)

I requested confirmation of duty free clearence from the shippers before the stuff was shipped but of course that communcation never materialised and I was about to miss my 6 month deadline so I went ahead and shipped. No alternative. Shipper's office is in Bangkok so Customs "negotiations" should be pretty easily facilitated.

Reason for edit: Add last paragraph

Edited by Marvo

sounds like you had some bad advice from your original shipper, as others have said negotiate. I was a couple of weeks over the 6 month window on arrival (most other countries have the same time limit btw) but my shippers view was there was no way Thai customs would accept duty free import, they are very strict on time limits, so i was told.They got the Thai end to negotiate while still at sea. In the end got a reasonably valuable container in for a 36000 bt fee on a "dont open the box basis". The Thai end was Asia Tigers who were first class btw

Edited by wordchild

Get a Thai fixer to arrange he bung sadly thts the way the cookie crumbles here,the Esan folks are having the same problem trying to re-import a LOSs leader.

Surprising the customs are so flexible condsidering they got you by the nuts.The only ploy I can think of if really mean it says keep it .

However this is high risk strategy as they may

1 Nick

2 Charge a FEE for looking after it

Just think its AliBabas your dealing with and it puts you in the right mindset

Don't stress its a good early lesson of how the pecking order to the trough hereabouts.

The problem is you don't really know whether you are being told the truth by your agent or whether they are scamming you.

When I moved here many years ago I suspected something was amiss when extra fees were asked for by the local agent and there was delay on delay in processing paperwork. I went to customs in Bkk one morning and found out the agent was indeed scamming me. Customs were very good and asked the agent to immediately fax to them the bill of lading and then sent staff from Bkk to Laem Chabang with the paperwork to get express clearance on by stuff, as it had already been in port for nearly 2 weeks. Customs 'wiped off' the demurage charges and spoke to the agent directly to go and collect my stuff that afternoon. I chose to tip the senior customs official I was dealing with for professionally and efficiently resolving the problem, but there was never a request for payment. And as for the agent, well, you could see the "I'm not happy" look on his face when my stuff was delivered that afternoon.

Maybe I was lucky but, if there is going to be some discussion/negotiating/under the table money, I would suggest that is with Customs and not the agent. Let the missus to do the talking and keep your cool because they do have you by the nuts. Good luck.

sounds like you had some bad advice from your original shipper, as others have said negotiate. I was a couple of weeks over the 6 month window on arrival (most other countries have the same time limit btw) but my shippers view was there was no way Thai customs would accept duty free import, they are very strict on time limits, so i was told.They got the Thai end to negotiate while still at sea. In the end got a reasonably valuable container in for a 36000 bt fee on a "dont open the box basis". The Thai end was Asia Tigers who were first class btw

36,000bt ? Wow. I got my container full in for 5,000bt, no inspection.

These are the stories I read and believed before deciding to go ahead and ship, despite not being given the duty free confirmation I asked for, pre sailing.

These are the stories I read and believed before deciding to go ahead and ship, despite not being given the duty free confirmation I asked for, pre sailing.

well in that case why didnt you instruct your Thai agent to negotiate prior to arrival in port?

well in that case why didnt you instruct your Thai agent to negotiate prior to arrival in port?

A logical question wordchild.

I supplied copies of all documents and requested advanced customs clearance before the ship even sailed but it never came. I supplied ORIGINAL passport and work permit to the agent one week after sailing to get customs clearance agreed, still it never came. Now 3 weeks later, the day before the boat docks, I'm told that I don't qualify for duty free, and they want 85,000 baht duty on 206,000 baht worth of second hand cr@p. I have the breakdown of the 85,000 from customs BTW, although, this was supplied by the agent and it looks a bit dodgy to me.

Can anybody identify this as genuine or bogus? Here's pages 1 & 5 from the 5 page breakdown. The PDF I was sent, in the PDF document properties, says that it was created by:

"Application: FastReport (http://www.fast-report.com)" "Subject: FastReport PDF export". Maybe this is the legit "paperless registration" customs system we have to pay 1,500 baht fee for?

post-56393-1257870606_thumb.jpgpost-56393-1257870617_thumb.jpg

Here's something you might try if it applies in your case.

In my case the container was completely full. As well as large items of furniture there were over 150 boxes of personal items all professionally packed by international movers.

If Customs had tried to unpack the container, open and inspect the boxes they never would have got it all back into the container.

As the container was for delivery to Surin this posed Customs with a problem. If they couldn't get the container repacked who would be responsible to get everything to Surin ?

Solution ? 5,000bt and don;t unpack the container. Everyone happy. :)

When i imported my personal stuf from Holland a long time ago i was living allready for over a year in Thailand so the first entry rule must be something new i think.

My shipper informed me when the container arrived in Thailand that everything could be imported duty free if i was willing to pay 800 baht "administration fee" which i was happely to do. :)

I suggest you got to customs and speak to them yourself. My friend did this when he had his stuff shipped. He was able to negotiate a much better price than what the shipping agent was asking for, almost 80% less.

Good Luck!!! By the way Welcome to Thailand, were anything and everything is possible!!

I agree about Asian Tigers. I just got my duty-free shipment in a month or so ago, and AT were wonderful to work with.

"they want 85,000 baht duty on 206,000 baht worth of second hand cr@p."

If you consider your personal belongings as "cr@p", why did you ship them to Thailand?

As another poster noted, rather than whine and moan to a bunch of strangers, why not speak to the Customs official in a polite manner?

I brought in a load of good stuff - no cr@p - and didn't pay a single baht.

"they want 85,000 baht duty on 206,000 baht worth of second hand cr@p."

If you consider your personal belongings as "cr@p", why did you ship them to Thailand?

As another poster noted, rather than whine and moan to a bunch of strangers, why not speak to the Customs official in a polite manner?

I brought in a load of good stuff - no cr@p - and didn't pay a single baht.

Marvo is right. Custom people are right. Everybody are right. Only the SYSTEM is wrong.

Nobody comes to live in another country (Thailand) without first checking out, shopping for a place to stay, securing it, living for a while and THEN making a decision to stay.

By this token nobody brings his/her personal belongings on a first visit.

My experience was both good and bad in this matter. When my conteiner arrived with all my household goods (no cr@p!), I was told I have to pay duty and tax. Surely I blew the top... But the Customs officer was very sympathetic, understanding and kind.

I was pushing my point,- used household and personal items. Officer saw this, but said,- this is the law. We came to a compromise, I had to pay a token amount of some

2,000Bt. Nothing to hurt about, except my feelings.

And this brings us to the very first opening line of this post. Unfortunately, the LAW does not make distinctions between IMPORT commercial and bringing in your own items.

P.S. It was in BKK port. And the people at Customs are very nice there. No corruption, no extortion, JUST NICE PEOPLE DOING THEIR JOB UNDER STUPID LAWS. :)

Dont think the system matters.

We shipped personal effects, 100% by the book, my wife was outside of Thailand for >5 years, returning Thai, all used goods, etc etc etc..

They just invent reasons.. We pushed the reasons away.. They invented more.. I had a DVD collection they said your only allowed 1 of each item (socks ?? Shoes ??) we pointed out each DVD was different so they were 1 of each item.. Dont care..

We fought hard.. They unpacked my shipping pallets and spread all my (valuable !! 7.5k USD speakers.. 10k USD projector) out in an unsecure area with all kinds of people milling past it.. Anything could have been nicked.. Also not fully closed to the elements so rain on this also. Then as the negotiations got tense they said "well maybe we need to 'crack open' those nice looking marble speakers to have a look inside" !!

We got it down to a tiny %'age of what they initially asked.. But it was a sour taste in the mouth to a new life in Thailand.

It is not a Thai only thing ,many other countries have some time limit ,(usualy 6 months) after which it is not possible to bring in your stuff on a duty free basis. Most also impose some sort of limit on frequency ,such as no more than one shipment per move.

No one else has asked, so I guess I will. Why, if the OP has a one year work permit, does he not have a one year extension to stay based on it? That seems to me to be the key, as he admits to only having a 90 day stamp and to having left to get another one after the work permit was issued. In my experience, if you have the one year extension to stay with a re-entry permit, you can come and go before the shipment arrives and still get the duty exemption. It sounds to me like he has a 90 day work permit and he must leave and return every 90 days and get the work permit renewed so he doesn’t actually qualify for the duty free shipment.

TH

I received a shipment from the UK last December.

The fee I paid to the original shipper covered door-to-door collection and delivery, packaging, accidental damage, loss and any other costs incurred.

When the shipment arrived, the receiving shipment company quoted import tax and wanted B. 30,000 or could "negotiate with customs on my behalf".

I declined and made my way to Laem Chabang. I met with a customs officer and for a mere B. 5,000 my goods and chattels were released intact.

I've imported countless shipments of personal effects as an agent. There are no restrictions on the amount of times you have entered the Kingdom, and you are only allowed one duty free exemption per year. Looking at your documents it is hard to tell what is going on here. I would expect some kind of tax simply because of the large size of your shipment (83 pkgs). This would be one point where customs would be concerned about everything being for 'personal use' only. Another thing to consider is if there are any electronics or various other high tax items (golf clubs, dolls, kitchenware, etc.) which as a previous poster mentioned you are allowed only one of each. In any case, I have never seen the customs department levy taxes this high for anything other than electronics, alcohol, or misdeclared forms. I once had a shipment that was approx. 2 tons and 40+ pkgs, the consignee paid a little more than 2000 baht to customs. You should definitely do some more investigating.

83 packages = lots of small boxes - total 12 cubic metres, (total 5 electrical items valued at 30,000 baht).

Customs (as per their paperwork) are applying 20% - 30% duty to my declared second hand value, across the board for used clothes, kitchen utensils, furniture, decoration, electrical, gardening etc. - only 1 set of everything.