Thaksin's Arrival In Cambodia Crushes Hope

webfact

Doesn't change the fact that Thaksin is arguably the most dangerous man in Thai history.

What exactly do you mean by "dangerous" in this context?

I'm not drawing a parallel but just an example to clarify why I ask. Lech Walesa was the most "dangerous" man in post war Polish history.Why? Because he set in motion a series of events which unseated a corrupt and brutal communist dictatorship.

So how exactly is Thaksin "dangerous"?

If you don't already know, then you must have been brainwashed by the redskirts. In fact almost every close advisor to Thaksin during his terms of office are saying the same thing, including the head of his legal defense team, who told me that Thaksin changed his version of the facts every single day they met. That same attorney had been a charter TRT member and close legal adviser to Thaksin while he was in office. When the case was closed (and Thaksin had lost), he used those very words (most dangerous man in Thai history) to describe his feelings about the man he had once admired and supported.

And he wasn't making even a remote connection Lech Walesa, a labor union leader who would oppose almost everything Thaksin stood for while in office, ie government-licenses communications monopolies, tax-free stock market transactions, etc.

Edited by wayfarer108

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Times on Line has published the full, unedited transcript of their interview with Thaksin. It runs to 12 pages.

I would say without doubt that the original story that sparked all the mayhem did contain remarks by Thaksin that were "taken out of context" and to an extent they sensationalized the story in order to obtain maximum effect - which of course they were successful in doing.

There is a lot of stuff in the Thaksin interview which certainly gives a good insight into the man and his deliberate distortion of events and the truth, but there is no doubt that any remarks he made on the "delicate subject" were enshrined in gushing protestations of loyalty, love and obedience, which were removed in the published article.

One of the more amusing aspects of the full interview, is his claim that if it were up to him he would quit politics tomorrow, but that would be "selfish", as by doing so he would let down all his friends who were relying on him.

Also, his admittance that he has "one or two hundred million unfrozen dollars" outside of Thailand. Well if he admits to "one or two hundred million", I wonder what the real number is?

His true, unpleasant and egocentric character comes through loud and clear for all to see, but I do think the Times did a bit of stitch up job on him.

But he should have known better than to shoot his mouth off in such a manner to the international press - what did he expect?

Always his worst failing is his inability to keep his mouth shut, and keep his own counsel. A telling sign of a budding megalomaniac

Well said. The Times do what most journos do, take quotes out of context to make a point that may not have been the intended point. Yet, as you wrote, Col T's distasteful/deceitful character comes shining through.

^^ A good analysis Steve.

Agreed, but an international body is not beyond influence either whether it be regional or global (or whatever such as OECD). By its very nature, for instance, the UN is the most politicized body of the world.

Why the "but"? Otherwise, I fully agree with you. If the US stays effectively neutral (and I'd say even if they don't), who is a bigger influence in those bodies now than ever-more-expansive China? Is China notably pally with Thailand or with Cambodia? Does China have any strategic interests in or affected by Thailand? Coincidentally but topically, I notice that the Chinese premier en route to Singapore stopped off in KL to sign several trade agreements and industrial development MOU's - not Bangkok.

We all seem to be on the same page in this one.

Who holds the better hand or bluffs better Hun Sen or Thaksin?

Well Thaksin is more world wide in scope, but his focus is solely getting back what he lost.

He is pretty monomaniacal about it, no avenue too seedy or too corrupt to take.

Hun Sen is craftier, anyone who could survive the Khemer Rouge days and come out on top is crafty for sure.

But while having a view towards the world, and how to manipulate it, he really is a localize player he has

not successfully brought the world to Cambodia in any meaningful way to raise the country.

Of course Thaksin is not the lure to do that, but has some value as a stalking horse,

and leverage to put his bigger neighbor of his footing.

It isn't is H using T, or T using H, it is a symbiotic and mutually parasitic relationship.

Hun Sen owns the playing field and Thaksin needs to be on it to prevail,

so I give H the edge in this. He can pull the plug in T at any time it suits his aims,

and that is a tuffet of grass in a quick sand pit for T to stand on.

Interesting to watch this play out.

Third player in this Creek tragedy is Abhisit, and he seems to be reservedly using the proper play book,

and not flying off the handle after provocations, I think he has long known who and what Hun Sen is.

Agreed, but an international body is not beyond influence either whether it be regional or global (or whatever such as OECD). By its very nature, for instance, the UN is the most politicized body of the world.

Why the "but"? Otherwise, I fully agree with you. If the US stays effectively neutral (and I'd say even if they don't), who is a bigger influence in those bodies now than ever-more-expansive China? Is China notably pally with Thailand or with Cambodia? Does China have any strategic interests in or affected by Thailand? Coincidentally but topically, I notice that the Chinese premier en route to Singapore stopped off in KL to sign several trade agreements and industrial development MOU's - not Bangkok.

We all seem to be on the same page in this one.

Who holds the better hand or bluffs better Hun Sen or Thaksin?

Well Thaksin is more world wide in scope, but his focus is solely getting back what he lost.

He is pretty monomaniacal about it, no avenue too seedy or too corrupt to take.

Hun Sen is craftier, anyone who could survive the Khemer Rouge days and come out on top is crafty for sure.

But while having a view towards the world, and how to manipulate it, he really is a localize player he has

not successfully brought the world to Cambodia in any meaningful way to raise the country.

Of course Thaksin is not the lure to do that, but has some value as a stalking horse,

and leverage to put his bigger neighbor of his footing.

It isn't is H using T, or T using H, it is a symbiotic and mutually parasitic relationship.

Hun Sen owns the playing field and Thaksin needs to be on it to prevail,

so I give H the edge in this. He can pull the plug in T at any time it suits his aims,

and that is a tuffet of grass in a quick sand pit for T to stand on.

Interesting to watch this play out.

Third player in this Creek tragedy is Abhisit, and he seems to be reservedly using the proper play book,

and not flying off the handle after provocations, I think he has long known who and what Hun Sen is.

Your use of intials in this piece rasies for the first time the possibility of combining the three into say HAT politics (could do with someone starting with an E maybe)

It's been suggested to me that Thaksin's involvement with Cambodia was mostly a way of provoking Thailand into a reaction that would receive international condemnation in time for the Asean summit.

If so, success can probably be measured by the international headlines on the subject, or lack of.

I think that the ultimate question will be: How will this affect Thaksin's popularity upcountry? I suspect that it's too early to tell what the answer to than one is. I initially thought that a lot of his more lukewarm supporters might be turned off by this visit, but it's not actually how they feel now that matters, but how they will feel when 1) they have another election, or 2) Thaksin calls upon them to take to the streets again.

Another thing to consider is what happened behind the scenes? Both Thaksin and Hun Sen certainly have agendas they they haven't revealed to the public and possibly not to each other. We may never know what those agendas are, but then again, we might be in for a surprise.

Intriguing. What happened to

Thaksin is clearly playing Hun Sen like a fiddle at this point

or was that just yesterday's pronouncement? Seems these same pages we're on turn rather quickly.

Edited by Steve2UK

It isn't H using T, or T using H, it is a symbiotic and mutually parasitic relationship.

Intriguing. What happened to

Thaksin is clearly playing Hun Sen like a fiddle at this point

or was that just yesterday's pronouncement? Seems these same pages we're on turn rather quickly.

Actually I don't see a dichotomy between those two statements, and as the situation changes,

the power within also fluxes. For instance sharks rarely eat those little cleaner fish attached to them,

they derive benefits from them, but in a feeding frenzy those fish get munched down regardless.

Thaksin is manipulating Hun Sen the most now it appears, but Hun Sen is also making hay

under Thaksin's glaring sun, for his own interests. But like a momentarily benign devil awaiting a soul to scavenge.

Yet the question remains, at the end of the dinner time, which one will eat the other

most readily when all other bugs in sight are well and truly digested?

Seconded - Steve is right on the mark. Now, back to the Thaksin bashing!!!!

:)

Thirded. And would add Hun Sen's relationship with Vietnam is defintiley part of this. While he has a good close relationship with Vietnam the Cambodain and Vietnamese people are traditional enemies and Hun Sen has been criticised for his links to Vietnam by poltical opponents although since the coup a way back they have little chance of unseating him. However, if Cambodian people can be made to look west to Thailand as the enemy it diverts attention from Vietnam and could especially useful if Hun Sen plans on offering his friends to the east a few deals.

I think that the ultimate question will be: How will this affect Thaksin's popularity upcountry? I suspect that it's too early to tell what the answer to than one is. I initially thought that a lot of his more lukewarm supporters might be turned off by this visit, but it's not actually how they feel now that matters, but how they will feel when 1) they have another election, or 2) Thaksin calls upon them to take to the streets again.

Another thing to consider is what happened behind the scenes? Both Thaksin and Hun Sen certainly have agendas they they haven't revealed to the public and possibly not to each other. We may never know what those agendas are, but then again, we might be in for a surprise.

...as the suprise might not be what we expect.

Well there has been no topic about todays Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation/ASEAN/USA meeting.

I find that strange.

BPost had a BIG picture of a smiling Abhisit,

with Pres. Obama putting a friendly hand on his shoulder for the photo op,

and both with big warm smiles.

In diplomatic terms this is a very significant vote of confidence and support.

And no pics so far of Obama and Hun Sen at all, if any surface, it would seem

only a group photo and not more. Clearly USA is backing Abhisit strongly,

and that fact can not be lost on Thaksin and Hun Sen,

nor much of Thailand that isn't totally myopic.

Another step towards stability.

Regardless of Thaksin's machinations Abhisit's stock continues to rise.

Locally and on the world stage. And this must gall Dr. T. mightily.

I suspect he has made solid connections during the ASEAN Chair period,

and those will be lasting, and to Thailand's benefit.

Edited by animatic

Well there has been no topic about todays ASEAN/USA meeting.

I find that strange.

The long-historied relationship between the U.S. and Thailand has always intrigued some. Certainly, I wouldn't put any credos into what the current American government extends. Their musical chairs policy regarding Siam/Thailand can be suspect.

Well there has been no topic about todays ASEAN/USA meeting.

I find that strange.

The long-historied relationship between the U.S. and Thailand has always intrigued some. Certainly, I wouldn't put any credos into what the current American government extends. Their musical chairs policy regarding Siam/Thailand can be suspect.

Well considering the last few years was P. Bush, credibility was reaching an all time low.

And Obama is being consistent at redressing that damage. He also lived in Indonesia,

and so is much better predisposed to S.E. Asia than Bush ever could have been.

Even if Bush gave a toss, which he didn't.

Also we must consider who the USA was dealing with the last few years as Thailand's partners;

Thaksin, who's CIA dossier must take filing cabinets. Trust was likely minimal.

Samak and Bush Summit... what a farce. At least Bush kept a straight face.

Somchai and Bush..was a lame duck surprise. And Bush barely kept a straight face.

Not exactly leaders Bush would have taken seriously, with their leadership disabilities

mis-coupled to Bush's ignorant arrogance.

I have always felt it best the Thai’s solve their own politics, to much smoke and mirrors for a westerner without inside information to even guess what power plays are at work. But based on the BS we are fed through the media, it is pretty clear that there is no firm prima-fascia case against Thaksin, the judiciary are notorious for pressure calls against the trend or truth as a matter of record, so flip a coin on the Thaksin verdict.

What is obvious is the man did a lot of good for a whole segment of the Thai society that would normally have continued to be marginalized. He has a flair for business, deal making, empire building, and all these are recognized “step on toes” qualities, so I would surmise that what we are seeing now is a rebuttal from that side of the political triangle.

This is not a prediction, but I believe the truth will prevail, and B/Sing the public is a short-term strategy, sooner or later if Thaksin is innocent he will be back in LOS doing what he does best. The stint in Cambodia will become a future building block to greater things between the nations, maybe even the best thing that has ever happened between the nations.

Some times I think we are sucked in by politics that are so powerful they even control the judiciary. Give time a chance!

Well there has been no topic about todays Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation/ASEAN/USA meeting.

I find that strange.

<snip>

Wondrous to see how athletic the jump to conclusions........ A Thai national newspaper has a big BIG picture of the US president putting a friendly hand on the shoulder of his co-Chair for the US-ASEAN meet who just happens to be a Thai PM - and from that you establish that "Clearly USA is backing Abhisit [presumably against Hun Sen?] strongly" ?

Edited by Steve2UK

What is obvious is the man did a lot of good for a whole segment of the Thai society that would normally have continued to be marginalized.

Um, this is not at all obvious and in fact there is much counter-evidence to this argument. When it comes to the 'smoke and mirrors' you mentioned, Thaksin was a master and you appear to have been taken in.

What is obvious is the man did a lot of good for a whole segment of the Thai society that would normally have continued to be marginalized.

Um, this is not at all obvious and in fact there is much counter-evidence to this argument. When it comes to the 'smoke and mirrors' you mentioned, Thaksin was a master and you appear to have been taken in.

Amen.

I find that strange.

<snip>

Wondrous to see how athletic the jump to conclusions........ A Thai national newspaper has a big BIG picture of the US president putting a friendly hand on the shoulder of his co-Chair for the US-ASEAN meet who just happens to be a Thai PM - and from that you establish that "Clearly USA is backing Abhisit [presumably against Hun Sen?] strongly" ?

In diplomatic parlance this is a landslide towards positive gesture by Obama.

No other way to see it in the present situation. It was a large, intentional gesture.

Spin it as you must the other way, but that bird don't hunt.

I find that strange.

<snip>

No other way to see it in the present situation. It was a large, intentional gesture.

You're exaggerating a polaroid-situation when Obama put a friendly hand on Abhisit's shoulder and now you're calling it a (political) landslide ? :D

Don't overdo a simple gesture. Obama is the kind of President who's doing that since his inauguration, putting friendly hands on almost everyone's shoulder as well as shaking hands all around the world during his many trips.

Obama's most important goal is friendly ties with China and a close watch about the shifting world's (read: Asian) powers and APEC's shifting powers.

His visit to Singapore was just one brief step out of 5 important ones in Asia: Japan, Singapore - Shanghai - Beijing and South Korea.

It's Asia what counts and it's Asian countries which are important for backing up each other and Thailand is playing a role in that whole system but so is Cambodia, although much smaller (with just14,5 million people) and with a horrible past whereby the world stood still, kept silent and did NOTHING to stop the Khmer Rouge killings, including the US ! :D

Looking at the life expectancy of 60/64 M/F one can only conclude that maybe Cambodia needs more help from the West than just sitting and doing little to nothing. But, of course Thailand is more important with a population of 62 million versus a mere 14,5 of Cambodians...deadly poor people.

But, to say that Obama's hand on Abhisit is so important ? He did the same to Karzai/Afghanistan...didn't he ? Didn't Obama shake hands with Hugo Chavez ? Didn't Obama shake hands with Libyan dictator Moammar Qadaffi ?

What's so bloody important he put a hand on Abhisit's shoulder ?

I think it's a LOT more important that Indonesian President Yudhoyono met with Abhisit and later with Hun Sen in order to try and calm things down between Thailand and Cambodia; Asian leaders, talking amongst themselves are of more importance than a hand on a shoulder by Obama.

Don't forget that Hun Sen is not stupid either, hand or no hand on his shoulder. He had a very busy schedule prior to the Singapore summit with visits from important country leaders from Korea and Japan whilst he's traveling up and down to China to meet Chinese leaders and attend business/trade fairs to lure investors; 2 times in the past weeks if I'm correct!

Politics.... :D ...its all about money and power, nothing more, nothing less.

But, it's good to hear that the Thai government is ready to fly their citizens out of Cambodia :)

What a world.

LaoPo

Come on LP.. I don't think it matters all that much, and to be honest, if he's going to make a gesture like that then Abhisit is a fairly safe choice, Thailand haveing been close allies to the USA for decades. What is he gonna do, hug the Burmese or Vietamese guy? The USA has very friendly relations with Thailand regardless of who's in office, so it's good so see Obama make that gesture.

I know that some on here and some newspapers are trying to make 'Cambodia' and 'The Thaksin & Hun Sen Romance' to be a colossal news event no matter if they call it brilliant or treason, but in the real world it really is quite insignificant. And now you're doing the same; you don't really have to politicize every time Abhisit farts or goes to the bathroom or gets a hug. :) Not everything in the world is about Thaksin, Hun Sen or Abhisit.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The Nations Writes:

But coming just once might be enough to damage many things beyond repair, some observers believe.

Ah, another desperately hoping 'what they publish might somehow turn out to be true' news article by the Nation. Last night as I channel surfed for footie it seemed the reds where having a whale of a time on their channel, no damage there.

I repeat in Diplomatic Parlance

ie sending messages via words, gestures and actions,

this is a much bigger deal than if it was just standing together smiling.

In the diplomatic world this did not go unnoticed, and no doubt was a subject

of discussion in Obama's morning meeting, if not earlier.

Come on LP.. I don't think it matters all that much, and to be honest, if he's going to make a gesture like that then Abhisit is a fairly safe choice, Thailand haveing been close allies to the USA for decades. What is he gonna do, hug the Burmese or Vietamese guy? The USA has very friendly relations with Thailand regardless of who's in office, so it's good so see Obama make that gesture.

I know that some on here and some newspapers are trying to make 'Cambodia' and 'The Thaksin & Hun Sen Romance' to be a colossal news event no matter if they call it brilliant or treason, but in the real world it really is quite insignificant. And now you're doing the same; you don't really have to politicize every time Abhisit farts or goes to the bathroom or gets a hug. :) Not everything in the world is about Thaksin, Hun Sen or Abhisit.

This is true. The US will support any Thai government in power bar possibly one that comes from a very violent coup. Chinese hegemony is growing in Asia and the US wont let little things liek vaguely undemocratic governments get in the way of its attempts to remain number one in as many areas as possible. The US quite happily supports and describes as good friends quite a number of unelected governments with hideous human rights records. Things like a peaceful coup or a government formed by a party that didnt win anywhere near the most seats in parliament are not going to bother them. If Thaksin were to return they would similarly be on good terms with him and even if there were another smooth coup it is likely apart from a few comments that relations wouldnt be that different.

Edited to add: the pic though was a good one from a PR point for Abhisit.

Edited by hammered

Here's a thought guys

maybe i am speculating on the obvious?

Special economic advisor - does that entitle square head to a cambo diplomatic passport? well his thai one has been revoked.

So he has a private jet, could be very useful for laundering gold bullion for influential cambos wanting to expatriate plundered loot to gold friendly gulf states

perhaps thats what special economic advisor means 555

If its a private jet flying with diplomatic immunity pouches - as they are called - how very convenient

As reported, foreigners have bought up huge tracts of valuable land, so they lott has to go somewhere

takes a special kind of swindler to mastermind such large amounts of laundry

So who is being hung out to dry. Dont forget the poor banks need all the help (other peoples monay) they can get to carry on gambling and paying outrageous salaries and bonuses

I find that strange.

<snip>

Perhaps you mean fly - like a kite?

A word of advice (not that I can recall you ever taking any): you might like to think about checking your own posting for conspicuous signs of it collapsing under massive gyroscopic forces before spuriously claiming to find spin in what others have written. That might salvage some credibility for the content - mote, plank etc.........

This is true. The US will support any Thai government in power bar possibly one that comes from a very violent coup. Chinese hegemony is growing in Asia and the US wont let little things liek vaguely undemocratic governments get in the way of its attempts to remain number one in as many areas as possible. The US quite happily supports and describes as good friends quite a number of unelected governments with hideous human rights records. Things like a peaceful coup or a government formed by a party that didnt win anywhere near the most seats in parliament are not going to bother them. If Thaksin were to return they would similarly be on good terms with him and even if there were another smooth coup it is likely apart from a few comments that relations wouldnt be that different.

Edited to add: the pic though was a good one from a PR point for Abhisit.

All good points - and I agree 100%. Similarly, the pic is indisputably good PR for Abhisit and will be spun for all it's worth - and more besides (as we have seen). Here's a prediction (though I think we'll be waiting the maximum span of this government's allotted time to see if I'm right): it will feature fairly prominently in the Democrats'/Abhisit's ("re-")election materials come that time; after all, who could resist advertising "a little touch of Barry Barack in the night" - even if Obama will be gearing up to run for re-election himself by then?

:D ...how come I fully agree with you (I mostly do with your posts) ?

My post was meant to downsize the so called "landslide" importance of a hand on Abhisit's shoulder by Obama like member Animatic wrote.

Obama probably likes Abhisit as a fellow, highly educated, intellectual Gentleman politician.

That doesn't mean that the Abhisit government is handling the Cambodia "problem" very well....Au Contraire I would say.

But, to describe that hand-on-shoulder as a "landslide" in politics is a bit too much for me.

And, who knows, maybe Obama asked Indonesian President Yudhoyono to have a word with Abhisit and Hun Sen to calm the present situation....? :D

After all, all those ASEAN leaders have to sit on the same dining table again, sooner or later; they need each other.

LaoPo